How do u guys find Dominican/Hispanic Salons?

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
How do u guys find Dominican/Hispanic Salons? I've tried searching on the internet for hispanic businesses and salons and there's nothing on the net. I dont want to go thru the phone book and call all these salons and ask "are you guys a dominican/hispanic salon"...What should I do?
ohwell.gif

Is there a hispanic neighborhood somewhere in your area? I would just go there and look around. That is how I found the one I went to when I moved to Maryland. When I walked in these salons they all looked at me a little funny but after about the 2nd one I was ok. and in the phone book you may be able to tell because the names will be hispanic or in Spanish. If you are not sure call and see if they answer with a spanish accent. I would say look it up and then go check it out.

Jessica,
I had the SAME problem! Try posting on the salon board or doing a search there to see if anyone knows of any. For some reason they travel through word of mouth. Also look in the phone book for ones that sound like hispanic names. Im in Orlando and I KNEW there had to be some in the area, and thats how I found out was by searching the salon board and then PM'ing ppl who mentioned them. There are about 3 here, and the funny thing was I walked right into one by accident today bc I was looking for Salerm and found out they sell it but I didnt know they would be hispanic!! it was a really nice shop too and they seemed very knowledgable about hair. I saw a black woman getting her shoulder length hair that looked healthy done, and a white lady getting extensions...ironic huh? The good thing is, their prices are the same as this ghetto salon Ive been going to where she overprocessed my hair. Im going to start going to this one I think.

Also, you may want to spark up a conversation with a hispanic and ask about Dominican salons in the area.

In my city, we mainly have Asian nail salons and White hair salons. I havent seen any hispanic communities or businesses in my area. I guess I'll go thru my yellow pages.

I asked a Puerto Rican girl at work if she knew of any Latin BSS or stylists. She was also in search of a Dominican salon and had just heard of one the day before. So, I recommend asking Latinas that you know or even going down to the Hispanic area of town. There's going to be at least one salon and see if they are Dominican and if not, if they know of one in the area.
HTH

This is my theory just like every state has atleast one black neighborhood no matter how small it is. I think it is the same for hispanics. I'm sure you will find one. You just may have to travel a little. The one I go to in MD is 40 minutes from my house. So it would not have been listed in my local phone book. Go to Yellowpages.com and do a search for like 50 miles outside your zip code. What city in Kentucky are you in?

[ QUOTE ]
Leslie_C said:
it was a really nice shop too and they seemed very knowledgable about hair. I saw a black woman getting her shoulder length hair that looked healthy done, and a white lady getting extensions...ironic huh?

[/ QUOTE ]

lachen70.gif
yeah

Poohbear...I don't think there are any Dominican salons in Louisville. Heck, I don't think there are any Dominicans in Louisville. I used to live in Louisville for a few years, and I come back fairly often. In another city, you might find them by word of mouth, looking in the yellow pages for Latino names as you pointed out, or finding the Dominican neighborhood in town and asking. As I'm sure you are aware, there are none in Louisville. Sorry
frown.gif

[ QUOTE ]
dreemssold said:
Poohbear...I don't think there are any Dominican salons in Louisville. Heck, I don't think there are any Dominicans in Louisville. I used to live in Louisville for a few years, and I come back fairly often. In another city, you might find them by word of mouth, looking in the yellow pages for Latino names as you pointed out, or finding the Dominican neighborhood in town and asking. As I'm sure you are aware, there are none in Louisville. Sorry
frown.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I was thinking this...
ohwell.gif

I did a little search for you on line. Here are some that sound hispanic but I am probably wrong. But you can call and check. HTH.

BELLA MIA THE SALON
LOUISVILLE, KY 40222
Phone: (502) 426-6916

BELLE VISAGE
3938 DUTCHMANS LN, LOUISVILLE, KY 40207
Phone: (502) 897-5369

LA BELLA DONNA BEAUTY SALON
1997 BROWNSBORO RD, LOUISVILLE, KY 40206
Phone: (502) 896-0393

[ QUOTE ]
Wolftrap said:
I did a little search for you on line. Here are some that sound hispanic but I am probably wrong. But you can call and check. HTH.

BELLA MIA THE SALON
LOUISVILLE, KY 40222
Phone: (502) 426-6916

BELLE VISAGE
3938 DUTCHMANS LN, LOUISVILLE, KY 40207
Phone: (502) 897-5369

LA BELLA DONNA BEAUTY SALON
1997 BROWNSBORO RD, LOUISVILLE, KY 40206
Phone: (502) 896-0393

[/ QUOTE ]

WOW! Where did u find this? I couldnt find nothing on the internet!
shocked.gif

My zip code is 40206 so that last one u posted is about 3 minutes away from where I live!

bouncy.gif
THANKS SO MUCH WOLFTRAP!
bouncy.gif

Uh, will someone please tell me why Dominican Salons and products are in such high demand? I'm so out of the loop here.
perplexed.gif

BELLA MIA THE SALON - does not exist anymore

BELLE VISAGE - isn't a Hispanic salon

LA BELLA DONNA BEAUTY SALON - it IS a hispanic salon but they are hardly ever open. I called them today and they said they are open from 2-3pm which is strange.
nuts.gif

I know that salon on Brownsboro Road--it's just white folks
frown.gif
. I can't imagine Dominicans on Dutchmans Lane, but it's worth a try. Poohbear, who does your hair down there now? Most of my old stylists have passed away
frown.gif
. You are being rollerset, though, right?

[ QUOTE ]
dreemssold said:
I know that salon on Brownsboro Road--it's just white folks
frown.gif
. I can't imagine Dominicans on Dutchmans Lane, but it's worth a try. Poohbear, who does your hair down there now? Most of my old stylists have passed away
frown.gif
. You are being rollerset, though, right?

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh! When I asked if it was a hispanic salon, she said yes but she had trouble hearing me alltogether anyway. She must have thought I ask if it was a 'hair' salon. I would ask her something, and she would keep saying "what?" "hello?"
ohwell.gif

I've never had a ongoing hair stylist. The only time Ive been to a salon was for proms and dances back in highschool. Either my mom (she relaxes my hair) and I do my hair.
smile.gif

Do you know if that black salon down the road from it (Joy's Salon I think) is a good salon???
look.gif

[ QUOTE ]
cutebajangirl said:
Pooh- Maybe you guys misunderstood each other, since it is so close I would just drive on down there and check it out.

[/ QUOTE ]

I did that yesterday and they weren't open. When I called today, they said they are hardly ever opened. But no one sounded hispanic.

Oh! When I asked if it was a hispanic salon, she said yes but she had trouble hearing me alltogether anyway. She must have thought I ask if it was a 'hair' salon. I would ask her something, and she would keep saying "what?" "hello?"
ohwell.gif

SOUNDS LIKE EVERY SPANISH SALON I'VE EVER KNOWN!!!
grin.gif

LOL...I don't know. I've seen them and they look white. I'm not familiar with Joy's, sorry. There aren't really enough black salons over there. Do you live out there or do you just want to go anywhere good? The thing about Louisville that's good is that even though there aren't any Dominican salons, you really don't need one, because Black stylists there roller set hair and do it cheaply. People in other places love the Dominicans because that is hard to find elsewhere. The last year I was there, I went to my mother's stylist, a woman named Kaye on 10th and Broadway (you know, where that florist is? and the photography studio? in back of the gas station?) . She has growing hands, and she understands about keeping the hair healthy. That was one of the few times I've had a woman stylist, but I really liked her and she will do your hair with no heat. There is another woman on Shelbyville Road named Rae, who I've heard rave reviews about, but I hear she's pretty pricey, and actually, the receptionist from her shop used to get her hair done with me by Bam. Hmmm, I will see where most of the girls are going now, but I'd recommend Kaye, definitely.

[ QUOTE ]
dreemssold said:
LOL...I don't know. I've seen them and they look white. I'm not familiar with Joy's, sorry. There aren't really enough black salons over there. Do you live out there or do you just want to go anywhere good? The thing about Louisville that's good is that even though there aren't any Dominican salons, you really don't need one, because Black stylists there roller set hair and do it cheaply. People in other places love the Dominicans because that is hard to find elsewhere. The last year I was there, I went to my mother's stylist, a woman named Kaye on 10th and Broadway (you know, where that florist is? and the photography studio? in back of the gas station?) . She has growing hands, and she understands about keeping the hair healthy. That was one of the few times I've had a woman stylist, but I really liked her and she will do your hair with no heat. There is another woman on Shelbyville Road named Rae, who I've heard rave reviews about, but I hear she's pretty pricey, and actually, the receptionist from her shop used to get her hair done with me by Bam. Hmmm, I will see where most of the girls are going now, but I'd recommend Kaye, definitely.

[/ QUOTE ]

I live off of Mellwood Ave (in between Zorn and Brownsboro). It's a small little town (Clifton) over there by those salons and not many people live there so places probably close early or arent hardly open at all.
ohwell.gif

But Yes I do know where that floral shop is. Where does Kaye do hair? in a salon, home? Does she have long hair and what did she charge for certain styles?
I also heard of a woman who does good on hair and her salon is out on Westport Rd.

I remember one of my friends mentioned someone getting their hair done by a dominican beautician but I think that this dominican beautician does people's hair on the side (I dont think she works in a salon per say). I might ask my friend about it again.

Oh ok, yes, I know where you live. Kaye is at a salon...I forgot the name...darn. Well, it's right on 10th, next to the florist. Her hair is very short, but she cuts it ALL the time. Her prices are pretty good for Louisville...I can't remember, maybe $25 for a wash and set? I'm sorry, lol, I see I'm not being helpful. I think it might be worth looking into the Dominican woman, also, but all I know is that you can find Black stylists in Louisville doing the same thing they do, a dime a dozen. HTH. Keep us posted on how it all goes
smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
dreemssold said:
Oh ok, yes, I know where you live. Kaye is at a salon...I forgot the name...darn. Well, it's right on 10th, next to the florist. Her hair is very short, but she cuts it ALL the time. Her prices are pretty good for Louisville...I can't remember, maybe $25 for a wash and set? I'm sorry, lol, I see I'm not being helpful. I think it might be worth looking into the Dominican woman, also, but all I know is that you can find Black stylists in Louisville doing the same thing they do, a dime a dozen. HTH. Keep us posted on how it all goes
smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I know there are black salons and stylists. If Kaye has short hair and cuts it off all the time, I hope she doesn't cut my hair off if I decide to go get my hair done one day at her salon. Thanks for your help!
smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
dreemssold said:
lachen70.gif

No, lol, she did my bc, and I had to MAKE her cut it. She REALLY didn't want to. No worries
smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

wink.gif
Oh okay...thats a good sign...

Hey, does Salon 502 ring a bell??? Its on 1001 W. Broadway...is that the one Kaye works at??
grin.gif

Back