How do I prepare for my relaxer next week?

Angela4769

Protein before relaxer?

:help2: I am getting a relaxer next week. I'll be 13 weeks post. This is my first touch-up since I began my HHJ:newbie:, and I just need some tips on how to prepare. Specifically, 1. What kind of protein should I be using with my last wash today? and 2. What should I do to my hair before I go to the salon on relaxer day? Thanks for any advice.

Last edited:
Since you are going to a salon I suggest you base yourself (if you base at all), and thoroughly detangle your hair.

Since you are going to a salon I suggest you base yourself (if you base at all), and thoroughly detangle your hair.

Nix08, I get nervous about basing myself, because I'm afraid of getting it on my new growth and causing underproccessing, but I'm going to try it next time.

@Angela4769

I like to let my scalp rest before a TU to minimize the potential for burning or tingling. So, about 5-7 days before TU, I clarify, protein treat, DC, air dry or roller set.

Protein: I use something in the reconstructor family. I don't use hard proteins. Ion Effective Care (from Sally's) is a good one.

Styling: I either air dry or roller set on the last wash day before TU. Roller setting ensures the hair gets properly detangled but should I opt to air dry, I flat iron my roots only about 3-4 days pre-TU to ensure my hair gets properly detangled. I don't flat iron for straight results. I flat iron to knock out some of the kink and release shed hairs. I go over the ng with one pass on the lowest temp setting on my flat iron.

The night before TU, I base my scalp with Summit base cream (from BSS). I apply it to my scalp as though I was greasing my scalp. I then apply some oil to my length to protect it from the TU process.

Angela4769 I understand your fear about being underprocessed....I self relax and don't base at all personally however, I've been hit and miss with being properly processed. I've concluded that I need to flat iron my roots to get the best turn out. I did read (but can't find it now:sad:) that if you have low porosity hair then flat ironing prior to a relaxer will allow it to take better.

Back