How do I bun w/out setting wet?

Fine 4s

So I read a thread cautioning about wet setting buns.

Last night I tried to air dry a little and my hair was so big (DSylla big) but still wet. I put some castor oil, coconut oil mixed with Vitamin E and some Butter Me Up by Blended Beauty (BB). WELL :nono:
I put it up with a bear claw and tied it (for some control damn it!).
This AM :nono: It was puffy in the middle and I couldn't bun it without that tight feeling which I avoid. The end result was a big puffy bun in the back VERY lose and I HAD to use a scarf. Thank goodness my work environment is casual :perplexed

So how can I put all this hair in a bun to rock for 1 week at a time?

I always air dry.

I will put on my products than use the scarf method. No clips or bands my hair is hanging straight down. What i will do is of course make my scarf into a big triangle and when i lay the scarf across my head.I tie the scarf on my head. The tail part of the triangle hangs down on top of the length of my hair. I will fold the scarf around my hair ( the sides of the triangle create a sleeve around my hair)
I than take the tail/ sleeve length of the scarf and pull it around to the front of my head and tuck the end through the part of the scarf already tied.

In the morning my ends are almost straight except for pieces that did not lay in the sleeve right. There is no puffiness in the middle. Than i make my bun/ french twist for the day. I do this all weak every night . I will but some castor oil on my ends before bunning or twisting. Of course after my wash days the inside of my hair is still damp in my morning.

I use the scarf method as well, but I don't leave my hair out. I twist and pin the end of the twist to the top of my head while in the shower. I mositurize/oil my edges and put my scarf on for maybe an hour or two, and then take the hair down to moisturize and oil the rest of my hair. Then I twist and pin it back up and put the scarf on. I tried leaving mine out, but my hair will get tangled and curly/frizzy. Then I bun it in the morning.

If I'm pressed for time, I moisturize and oil all of my hair so I don't have to take it back down until I'm ready to bun.

So I read a thread cautioning about wet setting buns.
I know everything doesn't work for everyone, but wet buns helped me grown my hair long. It had been a long time since I did one, but I decided to do one after washing my hair Monday evening. I haven't taken my hair down yet. :lol: Aww, I almost forgot how good it feels to not have to do my hair in the morning. :grin:

How do you guys sleep on the buns? Or do you loosen the buns at night and redo them in the morning?

I airdry my hair in 2-4 braids (in the back). I sleep with a silk scarf. In the am, my hair is still wet in the middle but flat in the front so I undo the braids and gather it in a ponytail (obviously, I part my hair where I want the part to be the next day). I use a little mango butter, IC gel with sparkle lites OR IC ICE on the front only. Then I do my fan bun method. When I airdry my hair, my bun is soooo big but I love it and the front is ultra smooth.

At night, I take the bun out, rebraid (1 braid) and do it all over the next day but without the gel. I brush to smooth the front, etc. etc.

When you all say 'air dry' I was walking around with my hair out and growing by the minute. My hair is natural, fine and dry so it was just NOT having me try to tame it while it was drying. I don't even think putting my hair into a bun after drying it (or partially drying it) in sections would help much - it just expands too much!

I'll try one more time, but this time on a Saturday morning!

I airdry my hair in 2-4 braids (in the back). I sleep with a silk scarf. In the am, my hair is still wet in the middle but flat in the front so I undo the braids and gather it in a ponytail (obviously, I part my hair where I want the part to be the next day). I use a little mango butter, IC gel with sparkle lites OR IC ICE on the front only. Then I do my fan bun method. When I airdry my hair, my bun is soooo big but I love it and the front is ultra smooth.

At night, I take the bun out, rebraid (1 braid) and do it all over the next day but without the gel. I brush to smooth the front, etc. etc.

Hi,

I really like your bun. How do you do it? :grin:

thanks!

Back