How did you find your back door salon?

starchgirl

How do you ladies vet a new salon for those moments when you are tired of DIY?

I had a back door salon that I didn't have a committed relationship with, but they were open 7 days a week, and I could roll in without an appointment.

After a lot of trial and error, I had trained them to do what I needed - roller sets, blow outs and my quarterly trims. I'm natural and do the rest myself.

Went up there today to get my belated year end trim and length check and the shop has gone out of business! :nono:

HELP!

Asking around to the folks you trust --- ask them about the salon they frequent & trust is a great start. Set the parameters when you arrive that you will be visiting on an as-needed basis.

Last edited:
I google searched my current salon, because one day my main salon was closed. Ive been coming here since then. They are also open 7 days a week and they only take walk ins. I live in houston so salons are on every corner. I googled dominican salons and natural hair salons. Hope this helps

I found my stylist and my braider through Yelp. I'm a military spouse and we had just moved to a new state so I was looking for someone to touch up my color. I lucked up and found someone who was great in a variety of things: chemical services, natural hair, extension install/maintenance, roller sets AND she encouraged me to stop double processing to avoid breakage. I only color now and stopped relaxing years ago.

When looking for a braider I was just looking for positive reviews that stated the braider was gentle.

I visit my normal stylist monthly for when I want my hair pressed straight and my braider at least twice a year (usually in the summer and winter). We have 2 years left on contract here and I'm going to be extremely sad to leave both these ladies!!!!

I make an appointment to speak with one of the stylist but really I'm there to watch them work. I wait and watch and speak to the ladies waiting. I look at the condition of their hair what they want to get done and I speak with them. And then I leave and think.

Right now, my back door is my house and my current stylist is my Niece.:lol:

She finished school, got her license, but chose another career path.

So she comes to my House (Relaxes, Mid-Steps & Neutralizes me) and I finish up.

So far, it's been working out. She does it exactly how I want it done.:look:

Back