How damaging in Guanidine Carbonate in PHYTO?

amina kamal

I used to relax with no lye relaxers as a teen and always got pretty good results. I remember switching to lye after reading how drying the calcium hydroxide was for the hair. Although I never had scalp burns with lye relaxers I just feel like my hair would always come out crispy and hard, not at all like my no-lye results.

Anyway, I have relaxed my hair with Phyto, index 2 and I absolutely LOVEEE the results. Thanks to LHCF (without it I may have never found this relaxer) Anyway I am just curious about the Guanidine Carbonate in it and wondering if this chemical is something that be damaging or drying to the hair. I read that they got the Guanidine Carbonate from mushroom salts. ANyone have any info on this?

Thanks in advance for your responses.

amina kamal said:
I used to relax with no lye relaxers as a teen and always got pretty good results. I remember switching to lye after reading how drying the calcium hydroxide was for the hair. Although I never had scalp burns with lye relaxers I just feel like my hair would always come out crispy and hard, not at all like my no-lye results.

Anyway, I have relaxed my hair with Phyto, index 2 and I absolutely LOVEEE the results. Thanks to LHCF (without it I may have never found this relaxer) Anyway I am just curious about the Guanidine Carbonate in it and wondering if this chemical is something that be damaging or drying to the hair. I read that they got the Guanidine Carbonate from mushroom salts. ANyone have any info on this?

Thanks in advance for your responses.
http://www.hebeismart.com/cgi/search-en.cgi?f=product_en_1_&t=product_en_1_&id=446627

http://www.chemicalland21.com/industrialchem/organic/GUANIDINE%20CARBONATE.htm

"It can be used as an oxygen scavenger to prevent corrosion damage. It is used as a component of rocket propellants because it produces a large amount of heat when burned."

The pH of guanidine carbonate is normally between 11 and 12. The pH of this chemical is still pretty high on an alkaline scale, so it can be damaging if left on the scalp or hair too long. However, it is definitely less irritating to the scalp than sodium hydroxide. Guanidine carbonate is also not as drying as calcium hydroxide in other normal no-lye relaxers. Remember, this is a chemical and any chemical like this has the potential to really cause damage if used the wrong way.

Last edited:
Thanks for such a informative reply Navsegda!! Don't be disappointed that I didn't go lye. I really like my results with Phyto.

Last edited:
amina kamal said:
Thanks for such a informative reply Navsegeda!! Don't be disappointed that I didn't go lye. I really like my results with Phyto.

No worries. You have to do what works best for you. I think out of all the reviews I've read about Phyto, I've only seen one or two negative ones now. The only thing that bothered me was people thinking this relaxer was chemical free. You can still use chemicals safely and get great results, like Phyto proves.

Thanks for starting this thread, Amina... and for the great information, Navsegda.

I love my phyto results too. So this information is extra confirmation for me.

If it weren't for you users like you Royal Glory I probably would have never tried Phyto. Now if I could just get my hair to look as pretty as you alls!!

navsegda said:
http://www.hebeismart.com/cgi/search-en.cgi?f=product_en_1_&t=product_en_1_&id=446627

http://www.chemicalland21.com/industrialchem/organic/GUANIDINE%20CARBONATE.htm

"It can be used as an oxygen scavenger to prevent corrosion damage. It is used as a component of rocket propellants because it produces a large amount of heat when burned."

The pH of guanidine carbonate is normally between 11 and 12. The pH of this chemical is still pretty high on an alkaline scale, so it can be damaging if left on the scalp or hair too long. However, it is definitely less irritating to the scalp than sodium hydroxide. Guanidine carbonate is also not as drying as calcium hydroxide in other normal no-lye relaxers. Remember, this is a chemical and any chemical like this has the potential to really cause damage if used the wrong way.

I had read this in my research in 2004... this was one of the factors that sealed it for me to make the Phyto move.

Very informative, thanks for sharing.

Back