How coated/soaked are your strands when you prepoo?

Harina

When you pre-poo with oil (such as amla and olive), are your strands literally soaked with oil or is more just a coating? I tried pre-pooing both with olive oil and amla oil on seperate occasions, and found that it didn't seem that the oil was really penetrating the hair. It just seemed to lightly cover the hair. I am natural, I don't know if that makes a difference.

I'm transitioning and my stylist told me to pre-poo with olive oil the night before my appointment because I'm starting to get more dryness even with daily moisture.

I used olive oil, mixed it with my whipped Shea butter/coconut oil concoction to make a paste. I then went through my roots with a relaxer brush, then massaged my scalp and roots and distributed it through my strands. It was indeed soaked, but that's because by the time I put my cap on with my headband, and went to bed, the butters melted.

I wondered if it would penetrate and it really did. I get my hair washed every 14 days. It is day nine and my roots are STILL soft, untangled and not as thick and my strands look like I got a relaxer.

I don't even have to moisturize as much each day. Even if you do add other oils or things, I would still stick with the olive oil.

forgot to thank you both for responding. I saranwrapped my hair in the amla/conditioner mixture and my hair was much better conditioned.

Not sure if you're still looking for responses. But I usually soak my hair completely with amla oil. I masage it into my scalp and then sleep with it in overnight.

Thanks. Unforntunately, I don't have the time to do the overnight thing with school, work, social activities. So i just wrap with saran wrap and a towel. When my next break comes, I will try the overnight method.

I'm natural 4a. Before I went natural I felt like the oil soaked in and it used to run everywhere once I put it in a shower cap. Now with natural hair the oil just sits on my hair it doesn't run and I was sort of concerned tthat it wouldnt actually soak in.
I only did this once but I can't remember the results of the conditioning. sorry

I use phytonectar which is an oil gel to coat my hair, put a mixture of essential oils and warm oil on my scalp, put a bag on my head (I use the veggies bags from the grocery store), wrap in a lined turbie, and, at this point I go to bed, garden, work, watch a movie, take a nap - whatever around the house chore or activity I have to do, whatever leaves this on my hair/scalp for an hour or more.

Since you're really busy with school, maybe you can put on the pre-poo treatment, do homework or read, then wash and condition before bed.

Back