How can you tell?

H

HoneyRockette

How can you tell what a vitamin is doing to your hair if it's not speeding up the growth? I always wonder that. I am not very perceptive to begin with. I barely notice growth if it is under an inch. Isn't new growth shinier and thicker than the rest of your hair anyway? Mine is, without vitamins, (as compared to old relaxed hair anyway). Is it really such a big difference that you notice on new growth that is a half inch to an inch long? I am asking because I am creating a vitamin regimen and I am trying to figure out what to look for when trying out a new vitamin since more growth will be months down the line. So is there is checklist or something that you go by when testing out a new vitamin regimen?

Hopefully, I'm answering your question right, but what I look for are basic changes to my hair than without the vitamins. For instance, since I'm a fine-haired girl, I look for thick new growth that comes in just a bit faster than normal. If my hair is coming in the same ole way, at the same ole rate, i realize that maybe I could do without that particular supplement. I'm sure others will chime in with a different perspective maybe...

I agree Leshia. I look for differences in my hair like growth rate and any added thickness, the texture of my new growth, (sometimes hard to determine).
smile.gif

As for me, I just added MSM and Amino 1500, and I can tell something's going on. I can't really tell with hair growth because my hair shrinks so much that even if I stretch it out, I still can't tell how long it is until touch up time, but with the new vitamins, I noticed that my nails started growing faster and they're harder. My last touch up was 5 weeks ago, and I notice that my roots seem very thick. Also, I shaved my underarms yesterday, and I have stubble today--I know this sounds funny that I was looking, but the stubble is long enough for me to see, so something is definitely doing it's job. I just went and bought some protein powder today also, so I'm ready for some serious growth (that's very strong).

How long would you take supplements for before you notice any visible difference? I just take two, a multivitamin and MSM (though my diet could do with improvement!
grin.gif
) . I see a difference in the condition in my hair the past 3 or 4 weeks but that could be the way I treat my hair in general?
confused.gif

This was my proof in the pudding: I went 16 weeks without a relaxer last go 'round and didn't do a very good job a managing my hair with all the new growth. When I got to the stylist, my hair was super-tangled. It took her about an hour just to get out all the tangles and get my hair manageable enough to apply the relaxer. Well, all that de-tangling hurt BAD
cry3.gif

I know she was being as gentle as she could, but there was alot of pulling going on. I could feel it on my scalp, BUT I could tell as it was being pulled how strong that root hair was. It wasn't snapping and breaking and it was very resilient. When she pulled it, I really felt that hair holdin' on to my scalp, if you will. That's how I knew that my hair was stronger.

Also, I take Andrew Lessman Hair Skin and Nail Vitamins and the effects of it are really showing up in my skin--not just facial skin either--all over skin. It's great!

So my next question is, did anyone observe their scalp without vitamins before they started their vitamin program?

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
Daughter said:
How long would you take supplements for before you notice any visible difference? I just take two, a multivitamin and MSM (though my diet could do with improvement!
grin.gif
) . I see a difference in the condition in my hair the past 3 or 4 weeks but that could be the way I treat my hair in general?
confused.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

If nothing's going wrong and my hair's growing, I'll usually stick with a vitamin. Recently I jumped on the amino and protein bandwagon because I had some tests done, and I found out my protein was low, and protein is very important with hair as we all know. My hair's been growing good, so I just assumed it was getting everything it needs, but apparently not. So the other day, I bought some protein whey powder because I don't just want my hair to grow; I want it go grow strong. Your body needs X amount of protein a day; if it doesn't get it, your hair will suffer in one way or another. I actually did research on this the other day, and I was surprised by the amount of web sites I saw that talked about hair loss in relation to consuming low levels of protein. Anyway, to end, I think some vitamins are worth sticking with because in some way or another, your body (not just your hair) can benefit from certain ones. One more thing I've noticed with my vitamins, I got together with some relatives on Easter, and everyone was complementing me on my skin (they haven't seen my hair down yet
wink.gif
). I don't know which vitamin is helping my skin, but apparently it's noticable to everyone.

Back