How Can I Tell if My Hair is Porous?

Lucie

Dancin' on sunshine!
Hello,

Good afternoon ladies! How can I tell if my hair is porous? Thanks in advance :)

Lucie

I just read about this this morning over that the Long Hair Lovers.com site..."To test your hair for porosity, put a strandin a cup of water. If the hair floats, thecuticle is probably healthy enough tokeep moisture from passing into the cortex. If the hair sinks, it’s likely that the cuticle’s scales are lifted and your hair is over-porous."

HTH.

VWVixxen said:
I just read about this this morning over that the Long Hair Lovers.com site..."To test your hair for porosity, put a strandin a cup of water. If the hair floats, thecuticle is probably healthy enough tokeep moisture from passing into the cortex. If the hair sinks, it’s likely that the cuticle’s scales are lifted and your hair is over-porous."

HTH.

thanks for posting this sweetie!:kiss:

VWVixxen said:

HTH.

Yeah thanx VWVixxen...I never knew how to tell if my hair is porous...I'm gonna have to try this.

Ok my hair is floating...does this mean that water will not go into the hair strand? Am I understanding this correctly?I have never heard about the hair being pourus/non-porus before. Can somebody break it down? THX!

naturallady said:
Ok my hair is floating...does this mean that water will not go into the hair strand? Am I understanding this correctly?I have never heard about the hair being pourus/non-porus before. Can somebody break it down? THX!

I tried it too, my hair floated to the top. I even checked it after an hour and it's still at the top. If I'm understanding Vixxen post, then my hair is not over-pourous. Therefore is in good condition.

ETA: I forgot to answer your question. Hair is porous when it's like a sponge or takes too long to dry. Try doing a search for Porosity Control and you'll find lots of threads regarding porous hair. I noticed after using just the Porosity Control Conditioner my hair holds color better & drys in a reasonable amount of time. I've since purchased the Shampoo and use both a week before touch-ups.HTH

Last edited:
naturallady said:
What does over-pourus hair do? Break more easily?

According to Healthy Hair Secrets Revealed: "A damaged cuticle allows water to swell thecortex, then to seep out when hair dries. This weakens the hair and makes it very dry, causing ends to split when hair is brushed, combed or styled. Once the cuticle is damaged, it will continue toget worse until it the hair breaks off or naturally falls out."

VWVixxen said:

HTH.

This is what I was going to suggest. A stylist taught me this a while back. I must say that was one of the few positive things I learned from her.

VWVixxen said:
According to Healthy Hair Secrets Revealed: "A damaged cuticle allows water to swell thecortex, then to seep out when hair dries. This weakens the hair and makes it very dry, causing ends to split when hair is brushed, combed or styled. Once the cuticle is damaged, it will continue toget worse until it the hair breaks off or naturally falls out."
Thanks a bunch Vixxen. That really cleared up the confusion!

msshic said:
I tried it too, my hair floated to the top. I even checked it after an hour and it's still at the top. If I'm understanding Vixxen post, then my hair is not over-pourous. Therefore is in good condition.

ETA: I forgot to answer your question. Hair is porous when it's like a sponge or takes too long to dry. Try doing a search for Porosity Control and you'll find lots of threads regarding porous hair. I noticed after using just the Porosity Control Conditioner my hair holds color better & drys in a reasonable amount of time. I've since purchased the Shampoo and use both a week before touch-ups.HTH

You had me scared! My hair takes almost two hour dry!!!! I just went to the kitchen and did the porosity test in front of my co-worker. Thank God she knows about this site, because I am always on it :)

lol, I tried this, but apparently my hair is indecisive. It sunk at first, then came back to the top. Now it's back at the bottom. I'll let you know if it resurfaces...lol. Either way I'm not bothering to buy the porosity control. I've spent way too much money on hair products already.

VWVixxen said:

HTH.

thanks for the tip! i just tried it and my hair floated. Thank God i didnt want another cause to buy more hair products;)

Back