How can I get my bang to grow?

IMFOCSD

Hi ladies,

I have no clue what I am doing wrong but my bang will not grow to save my life...it is always the driest part of my hair and it always looks frizzy. When I wear my hair in a ponytail my bang does not lay flat like the rest of my hair. Do I have to treat this part of my hair differently and if so please give me some tips, advice, recommendations or something I am ready to give up and just keep it eye length but I want it to grow...please help.:look:

I'm waiting for a response as well.
The front/Bangs and front mid part of my hair just isn't going anywhere. I have length on the back and sides, but no the front at all.
I don't part my hair in the middle anymore, just to avoid the thinning.

Not trying to hijack the thread.. is this your problem as well?

I am still a newbie but, yes u need to treat your bangs with some extra TLC if thier are not acting right. I had a dry spot on the right side of my head I just babied it and now it's o.k.

BUMPING.......does anyone have any advice 4 me. :prettyplease:

Well why do you think its dry? Are you using a curling iron on it or rollersetting? Is the hair overprocessed?

Try deep conditioning on your dry hair overnight with a good moisturing conditioner like Aubrey Organics honeysuckle rose. Castor oil on damp airdried hair also protects and conditions. If you haven't already, rollerset your hair or do airdried braidouts.

Thanks ladies,

I don't use heat often usually twice a month but I only used heat once this month. I co-wash daily and DC once/twice a month, shampoo weekly, moisturize daily and I always air dry my hair. My hair is naturally dry but my bangs are the driest. All of the signs of dry hair are present (looks dull, feels straw like, etc) I can tame the rest of my hair...but my bangs has a mind of its own..lol!

O yeah and I comb my hair once a week on wash day while I have conditioner in my hair.

Last edited:
Yea, I have the same problem it seems as though I'm gaining no length or fullness in my bangs. I hope someone posts some suggestions?:ohwell:

Are you relaxed?

If so, your bangs may need to be processed for less time when you touch-up.

Thanks,

I only keep the relaxer in my hair for 10-15 mins and my bangs I always do last along with my nape and edges...for about 5 mins or less. I am basically transitioning my hair to texlaxed.

I'm also in the process of growing my bang out. I don't treat it seperately, i keep it moisturized with the rest of my hair. I also don't wear it out anymore. For ex. if i'm wearing a ponytail i comb it in the ponytail with the rest of my hair. But if it is giving you problems i would definitely keep it a little bit extra moisturized and not wear it out. HTH.

I might try DC'ing more than 1-2 times per month especially if your hair is dry, maybe try 1-2 week especially if you are washing everyday. What type of leave-ins are you using and have you tried sealing your bangs with a little bit of castor oil? Also u could try bagging your bangs over night with a little bit of castor oil.

I'm also in the process of growing my bang out. I don't treat it seperately, i keep it moisturized with the rest of my hair. I also don't wear it out anymore. For ex. if i'm wearing a ponytail i comb it in the ponytail with the rest of my hair. But if it is giving you problems i would definitely keep it a little bit extra moisturized and not wear it out. HTH.

Thanks for this tip. I only wear my bang out when i flat iron, and that is about once/twice a month. When I wear my ponytail no matter what I do it does not lay flat against my head...does this make sense? It does not hold a curl well either. What type of moisturizer would you recommend?

I might try DC'ing more than 1-2 times per month especially if your hair is dry, maybe try 1-2 week especially if you are washing everyday. What type of leave-ins are you using and have you tried sealing your bangs with a little bit of castor oil? Also u could try bagging your bangs over night with a little bit of castor oil.

Hi shadylane21,

Thanks for the tips and I keep reading about the great benefits of castor oil...is jamaican black castor oil (which is the one I wanted to try) just as good? I will def give this a try.

Thanks for this tip. I only wear my bang out when i flat iron, and that is about once/twice a month. When I wear my ponytail no matter what I do it does not lay flat against my head...does this make sense? It does not hold a curl well either. What type of moisturizer would you recommend?

i see what your saying. I use ors olive oil in a jar. It does have mineral oil listed as an ingredient. My hair thrives with this misturizer, so to each it's own.

i see what your saying. I use ors olive oil in a jar. It does have mineral oil listed as an ingredient. My hair thrives with this misturizer, so to each it's own.

This moisturizer is good...but they want too much for that little jar, I may just go back to S curl no drip...now this stuff is the bomb. I forgot why i did not buy this again.

This moisturizer is good...but they want too much for that little jar, I may just go back to S curl no drip...now this stuff is the bomb. I forgot why i did not buy this again.

I think that will definitely lay the hair down, good choice.

how do u airdry? Have u tried tying the edges down with a scarf while it dries? that is usuallythe only way mine will lay down. Thx for the thread, my bangs are my issue too..Ive never been able to grow them even to my chin but the rest of my hair will grow past my shoulders. Im going to start a bang growout challenge lol:lachen:

how do u airdry? Have u tried tying the edges down with a scarf while it dries? that is usuallythe only way mine will lay down. Thx for the thread, my bangs are my issue too..Ive never been able to grow them even to my chin but the rest of my hair will grow past my shoulders. Im going to start a bang growout challenge lol:lachen:

Hi Leslie c,

This is not a bad idea...

In the mornings before school, I jump in the shower wash up and co-wash my hair then I gently smooth my hair in a ponytail (after my moisturizers) and let air dry (which takes a long time, the inside of my pony stays wet)

I don't care too much for overnight air drying. I smooth my hair back and tie it down with a scarf. When i wake up my hair is puffy at the top but my ends will still be wet. I will have to dampen the top just to get it to smooth out, lay flat and look neat and even then it looks.....blah. Maybe I need to try a different way of air drying overnight.

Last edited:
Back