How are you girls making your bun?

pookaloo83

Is it what I think it is?

Like this?

003prehair1bun4-18-1-7.jpg

Or is it like you're putting your hair in a ponytail and you are just tucking the ends under?

My hair doesn't cooperate when I try to do the buns like in the picture you posted. I make a ponytail and then tuck my ends in. I've done it for years with no problem.

Like 1969inthesunshine, I make a ponytail and tuck. Then i spread it out for added fullness, looks quite nice actually.

Like 1969inthesunshine, I make a ponytail and tuck. Then i spread it out for added fullness, looks quite nice actually.

That's how I do mine too. It looks really full. My bun is growing up!:grin: I tried doing it like the one in the OP with my own hair and it looks puny.

I use a hair comb. This is the only way I can get my hair into a bun. I gather all of my hair in my hand, twist it around into a bun, tuck my ends under the bun, and secure it with a hair comb.

I use a rolled sock, Ponytail, spread, then put a sheer hair net over it all, I wrap my hair and the hairnet around where ya'll tuck. Then use a Hair scrunchie to hide the mess, and give the bun a little umph.

But I have a big head, so I need a big bun for balance. LOL..... but I'm serious.

Very pretty. :grin: I used to put my hair up like this all the time when I was wearing micro braids.

The donut piece looks like it would suck moisture out of your hair. Is that a problem? Also, what are you using to hold the ponytail? I'm sure you aren't using rubber bands but I'm never confident that the different hair bands (Ouchless, etc) won't cause breakage. I personally do a lazy french roll with a banana clip when I'm having a bad hair day or don't want to manipulate my hair. I would love to do this bun instead.

I'll either do a bun with a donut or just twist it around my ponytail holder and secure with a bobby pin. Most of the time I put my hair in a ponytail and then tuck my ends under and secure with a bobby pin.

IMG_0007-vi.jpg

More often than using the donut filler, I use Southern Tease's bun. I use a dark scrunchie as filler.

My version: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hvHH2z4UCPQ

Southern Tease http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_-XBalPjVg

Very pretty. :grin: I used to put my hair up like this all the time when I was wearing micro braids.

The donut piece looks like it would suck moisture out of your hair. Is that a problem? Also, what are you using to hold the ponytail? I'm sure you aren't using rubber bands but I'm never confident that the different hair bands (Ouchless, etc) won't cause breakage. I personally do a lazy french roll with a banana clip when I'm having a bad hair day or don't want to manipulate my hair. I would love to do this bun instead.

I'm in double strand twists right now with my own hair and I bun them. When my hair is pressed I bunned it.

Either way, I use Goody rubberbands (the safe kind) and make a ponytail, then wrap my hair around itself (or solely wrap the hair around itself without the rubberband) and then tuck the ends under the bulk of the bun and use a pin to secure.

Then, I use a few of those old school thin nets and put those over my buns to make it even more secure and hide any loose hairs that might be peeking through. The net have been soaking in coconut oil all night and then in the morning I spray with S-curl also.

I do a few different types of buns. I take my ponytail and just wrap it wround and secure with bobby pins. Or take sections of the pony and wrap it around itself to get a fuller bun and sometimes I two strand twist and wrap to get even more fullness. I learned that tech. from K.I.S.S ;) Or a new one I learned is taking small sections and making pin curls and securing it to my hair so it lays flat. I'll do about 4 of these and add little flowers to make it interesting. I'll have to post pics the next time I do it.

I have three main buns. The easy one if my hair is straight I with gather the hair in one hand and twist it around to tighten it and then form the "cinnamon bun" use one grip to secure. When my hair is not hair I will either roll up the hair from the bottom and then secure with two grips. The last bun is with curly hair two but instead of a doughnut I use a silk sruchies, I didn't like that the donut dried my hair out. I'm try to get some pictures. posted. The scruchies bun is in my sigg (although poorly done)

Here's my version of southern tease bun:

DSCN0278.jpg

My hair is only collarbone length and it looks fuller than any other bun I've done.

Can i use the large hair doughnut to create this bun look? i think its so adorable...

Attachments

• bun.jpg
    bun.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 40
  • bun2.jpg
    bun2.jpg
    24.6 KB · Views: 39
Last edited:
I used a store bought filler, put my hair in a ponytail & tuck.
largedonutfakebun-vi.jpg

lowbun-vi.jpg

http://public.fotki.com/RegsWife/phony-bun/

dont buy a store bough filler. this stylw was VERY popular is the nineties and my older sister STAYED with that style and all she did was take a ratty old sock and cut the bottom off and roll it. just to save u some money. i had way shorter hair so i used a baby sock lol.it was the nineties, you cant judge me

dont buy a store bough filler. this stylw was VERY popular is the nineties and my older sister STAYED with that style and all she did was take a ratty old sock and cut the bottom off and roll it. just to save u some money. i had way shorter hair so i used a baby sock lol.it was the nineties, you cant judge me

OOh yay.. headed to try it now.. :) im assuming i should choose a black sock. Im in desperate need of a cute bun look... The other one i found was this one...
http://media.onsugar.com/files/upl2...1e993cddd87_audrinapatridgegrammys.larger.jpg. i feel strange with ALL my hair pulled back but protective styling is a must.. THANK YOU!:yep:

I do the Southern Tease bun. It only takes a couple seconds and it gives me a neat, full bun without the need for a filler.

I use a hair comb. This is the only way I can get my hair into a bun. I gather all of my hair in my hand, twist it around into a bun, tuck my ends under the bun, and secure it with a hair comb.

I do the same thing, but I secure my bun with a pelican clip.

I used to do a ponytail and tuck the ends under when my hair was shorter. It wouldn't work at this length though.

I've recently discovered that Goody Spin Pins work great for buns too. Flexi 8's are okay but I really have to play around with them. Besides Spin Pins, a hair comb, or perhaps a Flexi 8 nothing really holds my buns. Tucking my ends under a ponytail holder is too damaging plus my hair would always somehow manage to come down anyway.

I *heart* Goody Spin Pins. If you can't find them at your local Walgreens, CVS, or Walmart you should be able to buy them at www.walgreens.com . Just type in Goody Spin Pins in the search and it should pop up.

DSC01532-vi.jpg

Bun with two Spin Pins:
DSC01529-vi.jpg

Bun with 8 Spin Pins:
DSC01639-vi.jpg

^^^^It seems like the more Spin Pins I use the neater the bun. I usually use about 6, but it only takes 2 to simply make a bun. They make the best buns.

Last edited:
Back