How 2 give weight,movement,& sleekness to dry, fluffly, feathery, fine, flyaway hair

fluffylocks

Hello Everyone!
I've been on my hair journy for 18 months now, my hair has gone from damaged ear length hair ( at longest) to healthy collarbone length

-Its 4a/b
-Has a tendacy to be dry ( but only responds to glycerin based products)
-Gets weighed down easy ( but that doesnt usually matter with the styles i wear...braidouts and buns drowned in Carefreegold)
-shines well with, and loves oil ( rinses, hot oil treatments, and sealing)

So i've learned what it likes, have been giving it everything it wants, and have only been wearing styles that can accomidate (sp) all of that ( styles where i can get my carefreegold on, buntu sets, braidouts, ect.)

But now that its got to a nice length, i want to wear it out, and have it hang down on my shoulders, look full of shine, and have lots of swing and bounce.

I admit, i am style challenged

But, i know that for swingy hair, the less product, the more

So, heres what i have done many times with no succes

Shampood
Deepconditoned and hotoiled
rinsed on cold
Low ph leavein ( aphogee provitamin)
Alittle coconut oil to seal
Airdryed or rollerset and airdryed

Then, alittle heat protectant spray
And flatiron

The result is, hair that feels alittle dry, doesnt have as much shine as im used to, and is not bouncy, but feathery and fluffy.

What can i do, to give my hair weight so it can hang down and have movement/bounce, and also have more shine and moisture without weighing down my fine strands

Is there anyone out there who understand what im going through?
Can anyone help?

Re: How 2 give weight,movement,& sleekness to dry, fluffly, feathery, fine, flyaway h

You sound like a hair twin to me, so I think I understand what you're going through. I can't tell from your post if you're natural, relaxed, texlaxed or other. So please reply on that.

But as far as shaky, bouncy hair...I love it and I usually I have it. The main thing is that your ends need to be on point. Are your ends healthy, neatly trimmed and full?

Also for me the key to shaky hair (besides less product) is getting the hair as straight as possible before styling. Then you have body and movement....

Re: How 2 give weight,movement,& sleekness to dry, fluffly, feathery, fine, flyaway h

When you say hotoiled, what exactly do you do. Also, the aphogee leave in is drying for me, have you tried a lightweight cream? I get softer hair that still has bounce with a creamy leave in like sunsilk hydracare cream.

I don't know about the sleekness to dry... but the other stuff I was able to get with NTM. Let me know if you find out.

Thanks for answering

I am relaxed
Yeah, my ends are very healthy and neat. I get trims and moisturize alot and sometimes baggy

What method do you use to get your hair as straight as possible?

Right now, its like my hairs version of body and movement, is fluffy and light
It moves, but only because its so light--if someone blew at my hair it would go flying all around my face :ohwell:
Its like instead of having silk hanging from my head after flatironing, i have a head full of feathers ( Just a visual)

When you say hotoiled, what exactly do you do. Also, the aphogee leave in is drying for me, have you tried a lightweight cream? I get softer hair that still has bounce with a creamy leave in like sunsilk hydracare cream.

I deepcondition under the dryer, then add some oil

Or just deepconditon, rinse, and wrap a towel around my head in the shower as a steam kind of treatment

Or leave the oil on w/ a plastic cap without heat for a while

------
My hair is so fine, that when i apply a leave-in creme, it gets heavy/greasy looking or stiff-like ( plus the only thing that really moisturizes my hair is glycerin, i just use the aphogee to close my hairs cuticles)

I have never tried that one though, i will def. try it

Thankyou for answering

ETA---i meant to ask you what was your routine after shampooing and conditoing to get your hair right ( as far as products and drying technique and flatiroing/curling irons)

Last edited:

I don't know about the sleekness to dry... but the other stuff I was able to get with NTM. Let me know if you find out.

Okay
Thanks!

( i dont even really know what sleekness means, i was just trying to find a word for "lay down " instead of fluffing all over the place)

So, you wash, conditon, put the ntm on, airdry, then flatiron, and your hair has more weight and movement?

I deepcondition under the dryer, then add some oil

Or just deepconditon, rinse, and wrap a towel around my head in the shower as a steam kind of treatment

Or leave the oil on w/ a plastic cap without heat for a while

------
My hair is so fine, that when i apply a leave-in creme, it gets heavy/greasy looking or stiff-like ( plus the only thing that really moisturizes my hair is glycerin, i just use the aphogee to close my hairs cuticles)

I have never tried that one though, i will def. try it

Thankyou for answering

ETA---i meant to ask you what was your routine after shampooing and conditoing to get your hair right ( as far as products and drying technique and flatiroing/curling irons)

My hair is easily weighted down too but spray leave ins don't work for me. I just a tiny amount of sunsilk leave in cream (I use the purple and pink one) and it works very well for me. Try omitting the oil and just deep condition. I find that if I want that smooth soft but still bouncy look I have to DEEP condition with something really moisturizing like pantene relaxed and natural breakage defense mask, ors replenishing pack conditioner or silk elements cholesterol. Then I apply a light creamy leave in to help moisturize and fight frizz. The cream gives me just enough weight to stay smooth but not enought to give me a greasy mess. I then rollerset and my hair comes out perfect. Now after I take out the rollers I like to put a tiny and I do mean tiny amount of oil moisturizer cream and serum in my hands and spread evenly over my hair. I mean dime sized amounts, not much at all.

If you still want to have oil treatments in your regime, try using it before you shampoo as a pre-poo treatment. Many ladies do that here and that helps me manage alot of newgrowth.

Definitely use less product. After you shampoo and deep condition then rinse and apply a nice lightweight leave-in conditioner (I use Giovanni Direct). I spray a thermal protector all over it and then tie my hair down with wrap strips. Once its dry, I flat iron or use a curling iron and then apply a very small amount of Design Essentials gloss drops for extra shine.

Back