Hot Weather Church Hair - FLOP!

ChocolateSoda

I use protective styling so much I wanted to do my hair nice for church. There is no air at my church and this Sunday I had long bouncy curls (thought I was cute).

5 mins after getting to church I had long flat strings looking like I just stepped into a sauna. UGH! I have fine hair 3b/4a I think. I was so embarassed. The hair was sticking to me and looking greasy. :nono:

Is this unavoidable? How do you keep curls in hot weather?

I for one live in California and today it is 105 degrees. I sweat in my hair, so me leaving my hair down is rare this time of year but I will say what I would do it wet set my hair w/FIRM setting lotion and go under the dryer then I think your hair will last. But a simple flat iron and some curls..... I don't think its gonna happen boo.

I for one live in California and today it is 105 degrees. I sweat in my hair, so me leaving my hair down is rare this time of year but I will say what I would do it wet set my hair w/FIRM setting lotion and go under the dryer then I think your hair will last. But a simple flat iron and some curls..... I don't think its gonna happen boo.

:lachen: Thanks. 105? Lawd!

I didn't even flat iron 'cause I blow dried w/a little castor/olive oil so it came out pretty straight.

I guess I better learn how to wet set.

:lachen::lachen: Pretty much, I've been there done that. My siggy pic is what I looked like before I stepped outside my avatar is basically what it was like when I got home.

Sabino Moisture Block. This stuff has been a life saver. If not, just keep some hair pins in your purse :lachen:My church has AC and still gets hot after folks get to jumping around and jamming to the music (we be bumpin :lachen:) I've just learned to either not wear my hair down on Sundays I have to sing, or keep a clip or some pins in my purse at all times. Like you, I rarely straighten so I consider it a treat and wouldn't be happy either if my curls fell :nono:

I use protective styling so much I wanted to do my hair nice for church. There is no air at my church and this Sunday I had long bouncy curls (thought I was cute).

5 mins after getting to church I had long flat strings looking like I just stepped into a sauna. UGH! I have fine hair 3b/4a I think. I was so embarassed. The hair was sticking to me and looking greasy. :nono:

I can't do the long bouncy curls in hot weather, either.:nono: For weather-proof curls, I normally do a spiral set (see siggy)...for me, tight curls are the only way to go, especially since I don't use setting lotion.

Oh we be bumping too. I got to clapping and enjoying myself and went to the bathroom and saw myself in the mirror and almost screamed! LOL A girl in the bathroom asked me what I use on my hair so maybe it wasn't so bad. LHCF folks are up to a higher standard though :lachen:

I'll have to try that moisture block.

Tight curls is a good idea, they might be still a little curly after the fall.

I had this happen to me once, and after that...I always bring hair accessories with me to church...just in case.

You should try revlon or caruso steam rollers.:grin:
Curls from steam rollers last in humid hot weather. I have tried it and it is true. I got some great results from steam curlers and they last in humid temps b/c the curl is set by steam which is why I think my curls last. Pics below....

Last edited:
You should try revlon or caruso steam rollers.:grin:
Curls from steam rollers last in humid hot weather. I have tried it and it is true. I got some great results from steam curlers and they last in humid temps b/c the curl is set by steam which is why I think my curls last. Pics below....

Oh cute! I've always eyeballed steam rollers but thought they weren't for my type of hair. I assumed steam would activate the wavy I'm trying to straighten out.

Sabino Moisture Block. This stuff has been a life saver. If not, just keep some hair pins in your purse :lachen:My church has AC and still gets hot after folks get to jumping around and jamming to the music (we be bumpin :lachen:) I've just learned to either not wear my hair down on Sundays I have to sing, or keep a clip or some pins in my purse at all times. Like you, I rarely straighten so I consider it a treat and wouldn't be happy either if my curls fell :nono:

Hey Ms. Eisani!! *waving*
lmao @ yawl bumpin in church!! :lachen::lachen:

I just received my Sabino Moisture Block in the mail today. I going to give it a try tonight---and tomorrow. It's raining here ( and supposedly tomorrow)...so the humidity will be high.
My summer protective style of choice is the tight curly rollerset with a headband/scarf...so this should be a great test!

I hope my hair likes it!!

shoo......at almost 30 bucks for 3 ounces, oh, it BETTER like it!! :look:

I just received my Sabino Moisture Block in the mail today. I going to give it a try tonight---and tomorrow. It's raining here ( and supposedly tomorrow)...so the humidity will be high.
My summer protective style of choice is the tight curly rollerset with a headband/scarf...so this should be a great test!

Hey Apples, girl! :wave: Yea, we be jammin on the one like Theo :lachen:I hope you like the SMB. Post an update :grin:

$30!!! Whoa. I betta check ebay.

Hey Apples, girl! :wave: Yea, we be jammin on the one like Theo :lachen:I hope you like the SMB. Post an update :grin:

ROFL @ yawl be jammin on the one!!! you are a nut!! :lachen::lachen:

---------------------

okay...here's my update!! and I'm not happy about it! Obviously, I must've done something wrong.....:perplexed. But here goes!

okay--last night, after deep conditioning with Giovanni Smooth As Silk Conditioner...... I rinsed that out with cold water.

Applied a small amount of Vickie's Secret So Sexy conditioner as my leave in----(I use this because it smells soooo good!!!:lick:)----then applied about a nickel size of the Sabino Moisture Block.

After applying the Moisture Block, my hair was soooooo soft!!! :yep:

I then rollerset my hair in magnetic snap rollers, but in doing so, I continued to spritz each section with water as I went along.

Sat under the dryer for an hour----afterwards blow dried my hair for a couple of minutes on cool air setting-------this morning, removed my rollers, fingercombed, bumped my bang and put on my silk scarf/headband.

It was really cute----inside--but after standing in humid weather (it rained last night and this morning) at the bus stop and walking to my building, my hair is a curly frizzy mess!!! :look:

It's actually much frizzier than when I DIDN'T use it! My bang is even flat! :look:

My hair is still soft---but I have out of control frizzy hair! I know this post is worthless without pics, so I'll take pics when I get home.

I'm also going to re-do my hair tomorrow night, and see if I can get better results.

I don't know what I did wrong! :ohwell:

The only thing I can think of is possibly spritzing my hair AFTER applying the Moisture Block....as I was rollersetting.

Or I could have possibly used too much Moisture Block.....I don't know, because I used a small amount.

So test number one didn't work. I'm going to continue to try, because this stuff wasn't cheap! :look:

oh..what did I do wrong?!!

Back