Hot weather and Your Hair

MrsHouston

What are you guys doing with your hair these days to keep cool in all this hot and humid weather?

I just started wearing wet buns everyday and it really keeps my head cool.

I spray a concotion of spring water,CJ curl assurance leave in,grapeseed oil an peppermint oil on my hair and scalp its very soothing and fresh and keep it moisturized all day long .Before going to sleep i moisturize with EQ mango butter to keep hair from frizzing up .
I would avoid products containing glycerin as it acts as an humectant and might cause your hair to dry and frizz up in the heat .
as far as styling I mostly bun it up .
I also cowash more often which leave my hair wet most of the time and keep my scalp fresh

I spray a concotion of spring water,CJ curl assurance leave in,grapeseed oil an peppermint oil on my hair and scalp its very soothing and fresh and keep it moisturized all day long .Before going to sleep i moisturize with EQ mango butter to keep hair from frizzing up .
I would avoid products containing glycerin as it acts as an humectant and might cause your hair to dry and frizz up in the heat .
as far as styling I mostly bun it up .
I also cowash more often which leave my hair wet most of the time and keep my scalp fresh

Didn't know this. Thanks for mentioning.

@Kindheart: Your concoction sounds great. I'm moving to TX and am really concerned about what the weather will do to my hair. I might have to give this a try:) thxs

@Kindheart: Your concoction sounds great. I'm moving to TX and am really concerned about what the weather will do to my hair. I might have to give this a try:) thxs
no problem,I lived in SC and i know what it means to be fighting with heat lol, you could also do a body spritz with spring water ,aloe vera,peppermint oil and coconut oil to keep your skin fresh and moisturized .I always have to have one in the fridge at home as i suffer from vericose veins.

Mostly braid-outs and up-dos, and buns. I air-dry my hair 100% of the time and only use heat to DC.

Not wearing my hair down that's for sure. I had my hair down and broke out something terrible on my back and neck areas. I just co-wash every night and put it up in a ponytail and call it a day.

well today's hot & humid New York weather my twist-out did not even last one hour before it swole up & becoming less defined. I had to go buy a banana clip & put in a faux mohawk w/ a pomador (sp?). Most people at my job agree it looks better than my "big hair"
I also have been co-washing a lot also & just keeping it simple.

Is this true even if you seal with oil? I live in FL and have been using glycerin. I'm still a newbie and working on figuring out what works. I layer my prods -- H14n1 (glycerin), Elasta QP Mango Butter (protein), and seal with oil. Sounds like a lot but I use a little of each. This technique is similar to that suggested by Chicoro's moisturize/seal method.

Not wearing my hair down that's for sure. I had my hair down and broke out something terrible on my back and neck areas. I just co-wash every night and put it up in a ponytail and call it a day.

This is what I was thinking. It seems to be cooler if I just wear my hair up

Is this true even if you seal with oil? I live in FL and have been using glycerin. I'm still a newbie and working on figuring out what works. I layer my prods -- H14n1 (glycerin), Elasta QP Mango Butter (protein), and seal with oil. Sounds like a lot but I use a little of each. This technique is similar to that suggested by Chicoro's moisturize/seal method.

I was wondering if the ladies in the juice thread are still putting glycerin in their juice bottles???

Really? I thought glycerine products would be perfect for the summer, because wouldn't hair be able to gain more moisture from the more humid air? Or am I totally wrong?

Buns. Anything else just becomes limp and sticky.

:look:

I need to add a mid-week cowash, definitely. Really hot weather is no better for hair than really cold weather. Looking cute needs to be reserved for the spring and fall for me. :spinning:

Really? I thought glycerine products would be perfect for the summer, because wouldn't hair be able to gain more moisture from the more humid air? Or am I totally wrong?
no you re right, glycerin attract moisture but in hot climate it releases moisture FROM the hair ,and in hot humid weather makes the hair strands swell up making it very frizzy .
Basically Humectants such as glycerin attracts moisture where there is moisture and release moisture where its needed ,so say you re in a place where is very hot and humid your hair would release moisture to compensate with the heat and at the same time absorb moisture from humidity which cause frizzy hair .Result= frizzy dry hair.

My hair has been drinking up the juice :lick: and the humidity. I don't mind frizz. What I don't like about this weather is the limp hair so I've been using perm rods to get a little volume.

Wash & go's 24-7. I've been experimenting with different products too. Lately I've been digging the GVP Paul Mitchell leave-in. It's been good so far.

I found an unused jar of IC Fantasia blue gel and added a tablespoon of coconut oil to it. I did a wash & go with it Saturday and it's been FABULOUS. Even better than the GVP Paul Mitchell leave-in. I'm on 3rd day hair and it still looks good. Next time I do this I'll only add a teaspoon of coconut oil next time. That way I won't have people sniffing my hair and saying their hungry because it smells like coconuts. :rofl:

At this point I don't think I'll buy the GVP Paul Mitchell leave-in. I'll use up what I have and after I'll probably stick to this gel/coconut oil combination. :up:

Back