Hot/Warm Final Rinse=Angry Hair

cmw45

I don't know if anyone really will know what I'm talking about. But has anyone ever had hair that looked great but was dirty, and then you wash it and it takes a couple of days to look like it did before you wash it. The hair doesn't absorb products correctly, doesn't feel as smooth and for a day or two it seems like the hair is just angry? Well, I was thinking...I know, be very afraid...

Is this because a lot of us wash our hair in the shower and thus never do the "cold wash" (that a lot of our mothers did to close the cuticle) and thus, that angry period of time is when the cuticles are still closing?

I was wondering so today in the shower, I braved the cold water and did a cold rinse after I conditioned. OMG...I will be doing this from now on. I have natural hair that has curl pattern (4a) and when I wash and condition my hair and then rinse with warm water my hair is hanging down (actually looks long) and feels a little rougher (I used to think that it was because it was wet) ...when I did the cold wash my hair shrunk up and was sooooooooooooo curly. It also felt smooth even though it was still wet. I'm not gonna say it wasn't cold...but my hair loved it. Anyone else had this expeirence?

ETA: I'm going to post pictures of a warm rinse and a cold rinse to show the differences in my hair.

Last edited:
:lachen: It is so funny you posted on this, when I was washing my hair in the shower I reached out and turned off the hot water and let the cold water wash over my hair while I freezed... I thought to myself do the other ladies still do a final cold rinse?

I DO IT!!! I don't remember when I read it on the board and started or if it even helps me, but I'm soooo used to doing it now I always will. Just step from under the water and let cold water run for a few second. It gets the job done.

I think this may be true for some but not all. I definitely think the cold water seals the cuticle, but the results are not the same for everyone. Doing a cold water rinse can make my hair more difficult to detangle depending on how deep I am into a stretch.

I would imagine that product choice would have something to do with the results as well. Since I started using PC, I have that "cold water rinse" hair without the cold water.

Cold water rinses work well for me when my hair is freshly relaxed.

Once the newgrowth starts coming in I use warm/hot water. My hair will get hard and weird if I use cold water.

AlexB7 said:
Cold water rinses work well for me when my hair is freshly relaxed.

Once the newgrowth starts coming in I use warm/hot water. My hair will get hard and weird if I use cold water.

Yep, exactly the same with my hair.

I don't like cold water rinses. Warm water just feels good to me while I am in the shower. I have never had a problem.

Divine Inspiration...is PC...Porosity Control? If so, I have been dying to try it but I'm on a student budget and...well, I haven't earned the right to go back to my PJ ways yet.

This would make sense though, sense this product is suposed to close the cuticle.

I've never noticed this.

I always rinse my hair with warm, not too hot water. Once I jumped in to rinse my deep conditioner out after I had done a few loads of laundry and the water wasn't warm yet. I didn't notice any difference in my hair.

I prefer tepid water when washing my hair. If it's too warm my hair tends to get matted.

cmw45 said:
Divine Inspiration...is PC...Porosity Control? If so, I have been dying to try it but I'm on a student budget and...well, I haven't earned the right to go back to my PJ ways yet.

This would make sense though, sense this product is suposed to close the cuticle.

Yes, PC is Porosity Control. If you PM me your address, I'll mail a small bottle to you so you can try it. :)

I was just thinking about this. When I wash my hair, my hair (not in the crown) feels like straw even after flat ironing and adding heat protectants.

I thought I was the only one who did not like cold water rinses... my hair does not care for this either, as a matter of fact my hair becomes difficult to comb also...:perplexed (whew):ohwell: , Glad I am not the only one...:lachen:

I always wash my hair with not too warm/not too cold water (more hot than warm though). However, for my final rinse I ALWAYS use cold water...even if I use the porosity control conditioner...it sucks though...having that cold water chill your body like that, lol. I've been doing it since I was in grade school so I'll continue to do so (especially now that my hair is even easier to tangle).

I won't do cold when I've stretched past 8 weeks, I'll do tepid though. So I figured if I just use cool but not totally cold water, I not freeze in the shower. When I do ACV rinses (usually only in the summer) I will use cold water then because its usually a rinse in the sink and not the shower.

-A

My hair likes ice cold water for the final rinse. So after I take a shower I get out, wrap myself in a towel, and put my hair under the water so that nothing else gets cold. I usually focus on just the ends/length not the scalp/root area.

Last edited:
i'm a relaxed head and I do cold water rinses. They really work for me also. Even if I shampoo in the shower I make sure to rinse out my hair separately so that I can have water as cold as possible. I like the icy cold water on my scalp.

Divine Inspiration said:
OT: HoneyDew, congrats on your stretch!!! I know you must be proud of yourself. :yep:

thank you. I am so excited! I look forward to seeing how far I can go next time. :)

I've been playing around with this. I'm natural 4a too and when I remember to rinse with cold water my ends seem less angry :lol: and my hair seems softer. I washed my hair yesterday and forgot argh.

Back