Hot Rollers and Steam Rollers

Soul♥Flower

I went to sally's today to get some caruso type rollers. However, when I got home and opened the box, they seemed a little different, but I've never seen caruso's other than in pics.

The one's I have, have velour on them and I they don't steam. The roller itself gets hot...Are these still good for the hair?

rinygirl6 said:
I went to sally's today to get some caruso type rollers. However, when I got home and opened the box, they seemed a little different, but I've never seen caruso's other than in pics.

The one's I have, have velour on them and I they don't steam. The roller itself gets hot...Are these still good for the hair?

what is the brand and do you have a pic? I've used the heated rollers in the past and liked it, but I like the steam ones better. They make my hair softer and seem to hold the curls longer

They look like this
34463817.JPG

Oh, I got your pm. I didn't have that great of an experience, but I'll post all about that in the salon forum:)

rinygirl6 said:
They look like this
34463817.JPG

Oh, I got your pm. I didn't have that great of an experience, but I'll post all about that in the salon forum:)

Yeah, mine looked similar. I didn't have any problems with damage from these, but maybe someone else will chime in with more info.

Oh, I'm sorry to hear that:( . I look forward to your post....

I have both. The hot rollers to me is like using a hot iron on low heat. It's less damaging than a curling iron, but less beneficial than the steam rollers. I am sorry but that is the best way I know how to describe it to you. The steamrollers add moisture to your hair. Our hair thrives on extra moisture that is why most of us use it. It is one of the better ways to get the curls or waves without damage, but mostly without the extra products. With the steam roller you do not have to weight down your hair with extra products to protect it from the heat. If you get the steamrollers I would like to advise you that you do have to use an end paper to protect your ends. Because if you don’t (not always) it will come out trashy. With the end paper you get smooth results, always. :)

hottopic said:
I have both. The hot rollers to me is like using a hot iron on low heat. It's less damaging than a curling iron, but less beneficial than the steam rollers. I am sorry but that is the best way I know how to describe it to you. The steamrollers add moisture to your hair. Our hair thrives on extra moisture that is why most of us use it. It is one of the better ways to get the curls or waves without damage, but mostly without the extra products. With the steam roller you do not have to weight down your hair with extra products to protect it from the heat. If you get the steamrollers I would like to advise you that you do have to use an end paper to protect your ends. Because if you don’t (not always) it will come out trashy. With the end paper you get smooth results, always. :)

you don't have to use end paper with steam rollers. I've used with and without and didn't notice a difference in my ends. You get frizzy or not so smooth ends from having too much moisture on the rollers. But, each their own....

JLove74 said:
you don't have to use end paper with steam rollers. I've used with and without and didn't notice a difference in my ends. You get frizzy or not so smooth ends from having too much moisture on the rollers. But, each their own....

My hair needs the paper. I thought I was doing something wrong at first, but after a year and a half of using the steamroller I have to use it. Trust me I tried every which way to go without, because it saves time....But it's not happening for me. I found out about using the end paper from someone else on the board, who also had no luck. My hair has a mind of it's own, I just obey it.

hottopic said:

thanks for this info...I think I'm gonna get stream rollers now!

mahogany66 said:
Hi ladies,

I am interested in purchasing some steam rollers.. What brand should I consider?

Caruso and Vidal Sassoon are good ones. Caruso comes with more rollers, you can get both brands at Ulta or Caruso from Sally's

hottopic said:

Thanks girlie!:p
That's exactly what I was wondering. I think I would rather take the hot rollers back and get some steam rollers. Besides I tried these last night and while they do curl my hair it wasn't as sleek as I would have liked it to be ( I have thick hair). The main reason why I bought them is because I didn't want to use direct heat on my dry hair, but these still get a little hot.

hmmm....I think I'll try the steam rollers with and without end papers.

Last edited:
Back