Hot oil treatments?

Leshia

when doing a hot oil treatment can you 1) use oils like sweet almond oil and 2) how long do you heat it and leave it in your hair?
thanks!

yes you can use it.
i always put my oil in a little plastic bowl and then put it in the micro for a minute. but then it is soo hot that i have to let it cool down for a while.
nay

I used to heat my oil in the micro. However since I have been doing research on how microwaving destroys some of the nourishment in foods, I only heat my oil in a little heat-proof bowl in a pan with water on the stove. I actually prefer doing it this way. I can make up my hotoil treatment as I go. I usually heat it just until it feels really warm to the touch. (not boiling hot!)

Thanks ladies. I haven't done one of these since High School and I'm on quite a mission for moisture right now. I'm even thinking about sleeping with a ton of olive oil in my hair...or something.

I know this is a blatant display of ignorance but.........what is the use of a hot oil treatment? My mom used to have them done twice a month but I still don't know what for.

A hot oil treatment is a deep moisturizing treatment to the scalp. Using oils (essential oils, olive oil etc.) on the scalp to nourish it and moisturize the hair (especially the ends). This improves circulation and helps maintain the health of your hair.

I was just wondering. Does the oil have to be hot (opposed to room temp)? The other night I heated the oil and it was too hot, I let it cool and forgot about it. (two year old daughter need I say more /images/graemlins/wink.gif)Too lazy to reheat I just put it in like that. Do you think it was beneficial?
(edited to add : use Olive oil on a lye relaxer )

Londongirl, don't worry about not really knowing the benefits I never did and really still don't.

Ladies can you explain and tell me if they are just as good as deep contioners?

For someone like me who deep conditions after each hair wash twice a week, what would the oil give me that the moisturing deep conditioner can't?

LondonDiva, I believe that the hot oil treatments are really for dry hair and dry scalp. If you have an oily scalp, then there isn't any use in using it. However for most AA hair, our hair is dry and our scalp is dry, so we often need it. But if you feel you are getting good results without it, then maybe it's not necessary for you.

BriesMom, I usually put the oil in my hair/on scalp and then sit under my dryer. If you don't have a dryer, I would recommend a heating cap. I am too afraid of heating the oil itself and making it too hot. /images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Here is an article (I found it online--forgot where) that is really informative. I am splitting it up into two posts. I hope this helps.

Some Like It Hot-A Guide to Hot-Oil Treatments
This winter, keep brittle hair at bay with this simple cure-all.

You follow all of the rules for keeping your hair healthy: regular trims, minimal use of heating appliances, and a good shampoo and conditioner. Yet your hair still goes through periods when it seems totally lackluster or, worse, dry and brittle. And it only gets worse during the cold-weather months. What's a sister to do?
Luckily, the answer is easy (and inexpensive). Add hot-oil treatments to your hair-care routine and you'll be rewarded with shine and body. "Hot-oil treatments get down deep into the hair shaft, better than anything else," says Philadelphia-based hairstylist Yvette Smalls. "They deeply condition and moisturize."
This month, NiaOnline looks at the best hot-oil treatment formulas and shares expert tips on how to apply them. Get ready to pamper your crowning glory!

It's About Deep-Down Moisturizing
If you're skeptical that hot-oil treatments can do any better than your favorite hair grease or pomade, consider this: Because of the addition of heat, which opens up the hair's inner cortex, these treatments can actually penetrate the hair's cuticle.
The result: The strands are coated with conditioning oils, and the hair shaft is strengthened and lubricated. Once the formula is rinsed out, the shaft is closed, effectively locking in moisture. Hot-oil treatments are also excellent ways to lubricate dry scalps.
Perfect for Every Type and Texture of Our Hair
"In my opinion, everyone should use hot-oil treatments," says Smalls. "It doesn't matter if you have a perm, natural, whatever." Smalls especially recommends this hair treatment when the weather turns cold. "Harsh winds and low temperatures can really contribute to dry, brittle hair."
For natural hair, a treatment once every two months is sufficient. The exception is for people with locks. "The density of the hair, combined with the length of the locks, results in a loss of moisture." Smalls recommends monthly treatments for folks with locks.

Part II of article:

The ABCs of Application
Whether you wear a perm, locks, braids, or an Afro, the same simple steps apply for a thorough hot-oil treatment:
1. Place oil in heat-resistant plastic container, then place container in large bowl of hot water (think nice-warm-shower hot, not just-boiled-on-the-stove temperatures).
2. Part dry hair into four sections and secure with hair bands.
3. Starting with one section, further divide into quarters. With fingers, apply oil to scalp.
4. Distribute oil through hair.
5. Move on to next section.
6. Cover hair with old shower cap (remember, it will be covered in oil) and then wrap towel around your head.
7. Leave on for minimum of 15 minutes and no longer than 1 hour, depending on how dry or damaged your hair is. Women with locks should keep oil in for full hour to allow oil to penetrate completely.
8. To rinse, put shampoo directly onto hair and work into lather (do not wet hair first). Rinse and continue your normal routine.
The Perfect Formula
As any walk down the aisle of a drugstore or beauty-supply store will confirm, there are an overwhelming number of hot-oil treatments from which to choose. If you buy commercially available hot-oil treatments, "always read the ingredients," advises Smalls. Perfumes and alcohol, as well as harsh ingredients that can irritate the scalp, may do more harm than good. Because of this potential damage, many women make their own formulas.
Whether you decide to buy off the shelf or whip up your own concoction, look for these ingredients:
1. Base (carrier) oils that can be used alone or in combination with others:
* Jojoba: A great conditioner for Black textured hair, jojoba is also good for a dry scalp.
* Sweet almond: This easily absorbed balm for itchy scalps contains vitamin E and fatty acids.
* Avocado: The oil of this fatty fruit is rich in vitamins A, D, and E; potassium; and scalp-soothing sulfur.
2. Essential oils that should be added to the base oil:
* Sage: An astringent that stimulates growth and kills bacteria.
* Rosemary: Stimulates growth and gives hair shine; also helpful with dandruff.
* Evening primrose: Moisturizes and conditions hair.
* Calendula: Excellent for soothing and nourishing the scalp.
* Tea tree: In very small amounts, very useful for stimulating the scalp and alleviating dandruff.
Our Favorites
Here are three hot-oil treatments that we especially love:
* Phytotherathrie Huile d'Ales Revitalizing Botanical Oil is 100 percent natural with essential oils of rosemary, sage, and juniper (Sephora stores nationwide; $24).
* Weleda Rosemary Oil contains clover blossoms and burdock root (Sephora stores nationwide; $8.75).
* Paul Labrecque Lemongrass Oil with coconut and jojoba oils is also great for scalp massages (set of five 1-ounce bottles, $45).
Do you have your own favorite hot-oil-treatment recipe? Share it with us.
Our Expert's Favorite Hot-Oil Treatment
Philadelphia hairstylist Yvette Smalls shared with us her favorite recipe for healthy, shiny hair:
Mix equal parts jojoba, olive, grape-seed, avocado, and walnut oils. Add a small amount of aloe vera gel, a natural humectant (if you are allergic to aloe vera, substitute glycerin).
Finally, if desired, put in a few drops of scented essential oil for fragrance. Smalls recommends adding castor oil if hair is thinning.
To apply, follow the directions provided in the main article. Enjoy!

CarmenRose Thanks for the articles. They were very informative /images/graemlins/grin.gif /images/graemlins/grin.gif

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
CarmenRose said:
LondonDiva, I believe that the hot oil treatments are really for dry hair and dry scalp. If you have an oily scalp, then there isn't any use in using it. However for most AA hair, our hair is dry and our scalp is dry, so we often need it. But if you feel you are getting good results without it, then maybe it's not necessary for you.

[/ QUOTE ]

Carmenrose

I might give it a try and see if I notice a difference with my hair. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Thanks for the other info. I'm going to save it in my favourites and refer to it at a later date.

"Too tired to read, just enough energy to skim through"

This very well be help my ends! I think I'm going to give this a go and see if this is my answer. Thanks for everyone posting in this thread!

Back