Horrible! Just took out braids and lost....

metalkitty

About three golf ball sized balls of hair! I've never felt so discouraged about my hair before... For a little background, I had silky dreds put in by a lady who's never done them, but has a lot of experience with braiding. I think most of the hair was shedding since I saw alot of bulbs but I also think I might've ripped out alot of hair at the newgrowth. Anyway, I havn't seen my hair straight, but it looks so thin and stringy to me but it could be because the newgrowth is so thick and there's so much of it..
On top of this I wanted to relax in September with Phyto after another bout with braids, but now I'm not sure if my hair will look really thin or not since I haven't seen it straight yet?
So basically, I need a battle plan for what I want to do to get my hair back in shape over the next couple of months. The hard part is dealing with all the newgrowth, but S- curl is already starting to help me in that department. So, ladies, I need ALL the help I can get regarding any ideas to get my hair back in shape. Please help!

I wouldn't worry about the lost hair. Since you didn't comb it for all of the time that your hair was up, it's just a build up of hair that would normally be shed every day. HTH

She's tellin the truth :)

Its normal to shed quite a bit after braids...

crlsweetie912 said:
I wouldn't worry about the lost hair. Since you didn't comb it for all of the time that your hair was up, it's just a build up of hair that would normally be shed every day. HTH

I don't think that's bad. I wasn't even worried and it had no effect on my hair when I lost this much hair.

shedding-vi.jpg

Didn't even miss it.

This is how much hair I lost in 2 mo. I thought It was a lot,but most of it was shed hair. I did see more length when I straightened my hair and I am sure you will too.;)

Attachments

• 1982.jpg
    1982.jpg
    5.8 KB · Views: 15
Thanks for the reassurance, girls! I feel a little better about the hair lost now. But what should I do to baby my hair for a couple weeks before going back to braids?

I clarify, deep condition with protein, deep condition with moisture and try to leave it alone until my next set of braids.

MetalKitty, I'm glad you posted this because this happened to me the last time I had braids and I was afraid to get them again.
That was 20 yrs ago so that tells you how scared I was :look:

When i had my first set of singles last summer, i freaked out when i saw all the hair that was shed. But i checked the thread and found out it's just shed hair like the other ladies had said. I think for your baby hair ( is it thin or just unruly?) you should try to stay away from gels if possible and maybe use more mosturizers and oils in that area. Very little oil if you decide to use any because it will drip down and become a little messy. But some heavy moisturizers around that area should be able to get it flat and nice. I like elasta qp mango butter.

You should definitely deep condition and do a protein treatment before getting braids again. If you have a problem keeping your braids moisturized if you can, sleep with a plastic cap on your head. This has worked wonders for me. It is so hot here if feels like you're going to melt as soon as you step foot outside:lachen:

Thanks you guys, I already did a protein treatment and deep conditioned. I have newgrowth like a mug! I didn't measure but it looks around four inches or so. Its still tangly and crazy looking though. I plan on baggying at night and frequently co washing to hopefully restore some elasticity and moisture. DOes this sound good?

metalkitty said:
Thanks you guys, I already did a protein treatment and deep conditioned. I have newgrowth like a mug! I didn't measure but it looks around four inches or so. Its still tangly and crazy looking though. I plan on baggying at night and frequently co washing to hopefully restore some elasticity and moisture. DOes this sound good?

Sounds good to me!;) :up:

Back