Hopelessly Dry and Tangled (semi-long)

sareca

No, it wasn't from henna. ;) It was from clarifying. :mad:

I'm not usually worried about buildup (not since the water softner), but I'm relaxing next month. So I clarified, conditioned for a couple of minutes, rinsed and realized I was exhausted. It was late and I had a long day. So I raked it back into a loose braid, squeezed it w/ the Aquis, tyed my scarf on and went to bed.

When I woke up this morning I did not recognize my hair! It was hard as a brick, dry, dull, and seriously tangled. I actually stood there staring at it for a moment. :huh: But I didn't panic. I grabbed my Eqyss Detangler. It has always worked in the past. I applied it as best I could. It's hard to get even application of anything on seriously tangled hair. I picked up the comb and I could detangle the relaxed hair somewhat, but the NG wasn't havin' it! It laughed at Eqyss and launched the comb across the room like it had a force field. *slight exaggeration* But, now I am panicking. I frantically start looking for heavy lubricants. All I have is oil and water. I decided to pre-poo. That's always softened my hair, but if Eqyss didn't work what chance has poor little amla got. :nono:

I start my pre-poo procedure:
  • I pull my hair into 4 sections (this time listening to it pop and snap like a twig).
  • Plait my hair in 4 loose braids
  • Unbraid each to saturate with oil (I use a mixture of amla and jojoba)
  • Rinse with hot water (hoping the cuticles would open and absorb some oil... I'm improvising here I don't usually do this).
  • Unbraid and apply conditioner to each plait.
  • Rinse the conditioner with cool water and detangle each plait under the running water w/ my wide tooth comb.
It was just that easy. It was MY hair again. My 1 year journey hair. That other stuff was the pre-journey hair that I hadn't seen since this time last year.

I usually pre-poo like this after I've poo'd just because my hair is softer. I didn't realize how powerful this technique was until today. Did I mention I barely lost any hair? I know it's long, but I just had to share. Ok, back to work. I got here late... :ohwell:

Last edited:
sareca said:

I'm not usually worried about buildup (not since the water softner), but I'm relaxing next month. So I clarified, conditioned for a couple of minutes, rinsed and realized I was exhausted. It was late and I had a long day. So I raked it back into a loose braid, squeezed it w/ the Aquis, tyed my scarf on and went to bed.

When I woke up this morning I did not recognize my hair! It was hard as a brick, dry, dull, and seriously tangled. I actually stood there staring at it for a moment. :huh: But I didn't panick. I grabbed my Eqyss Detangler. It has always worked in the past. I applied it as best I could. It's hard to get even application of anything on seriously tangled hair. I picked up the comb and I could detangle the relaxed hair somewhat, but the NG wasn't havin' it! It laughed at Eqyss and launched the comb across the room like it had a force field. *slight exaggeration* But, now I am panicking. I frantically start looking for heavy lubricants. All I have is oil and water. I decided to pre-poo. That's always softened my hair, but if Eqyss didn't work what chance has poor little amla got. :nono:

• I pull my hair into 4 sections (this time listening to it pop and snap like a twig).
  • Rinse with hot water (hoping the cuticles would open and absorb some oil... I'm improvising here I don't usually do this).
  • Rinse the conditioner with cool water and detangle each plait under the running water w/ my wide tooth comb.
It was just that easy. It was MY hair again. My 1 year journey hair. That other stuff was the pre-journey hair that I hadn't seen since this time last year.

I usually pre-poo like this after I've poo'd just because my hair is softer. I didn't realize how powerful this technique was until today. Did I mention I barely lost any hair? I know it's long, but I just had to share. Ok, back to work. I got here late... :ohwell:

:lol: @ launching the comb like a force field!! I'm glad you were able to get your hair untangled without hair loss though. Have you tried the ORS replenishing paks? My newgrowth :love: it!!
Thanks for sharing your technique :)

It was like it had a mind of its own... and it was p/o'd. :lachen:

I've tried ORS before, but I didn't try it this time.

Ummm, I'm not sure how I forgot this, but I also did a protein treatment after I clarified. No wonder my hair was a mess. :hammer: I must have been more tired than I thought. :ohwell:

sareca said:

When I woke up this morning I did not recognize my hair! It was hard as a brick, dry, dull, and seriously tangled. I actually stood there staring at it for a moment. :huh: But I didn't panic. I grabbed my Eqyss Detangler. It has always worked in the past. I applied it as best I could. It's hard to get even application of anything on seriously tangled hair. I picked up the comb and I could detangle the relaxed hair somewhat, but the NG wasn't havin' it! It laughed at Eqyss and launched the comb across the room like it had a force field. *slight exaggeration* But, now I am panicking. I frantically start looking for heavy lubricants. All I have is oil and water. I decided to pre-poo. That's always softened my hair, but if Eqyss didn't work what chance has poor little amla got. :nono:

great advice thanks!

sareca said:
Ummm, I'm not sure how I forgot this, but I also did a protein treatment after I clarified. No wonder my hair was a mess. :hammer: I must have been more tired than I thought. :ohwell:

I'm glad it worked out for you...I will have to try this technique (pre-poo), the longer my hair gets the more tangled it becomes. :ohwell:

Keracare 1st lather did that to me a few weeks ago, no more for me!!
Glad it worked out for you...

My hair does not like hardcore protein. If I do mild treatments consistently, that's all I really need. I am glad your hair is back to normal Sareca!

Back