Hopeless rollersetters, mesh may be the answer

crlsweetie912 said:
meshrollersetcloseup23mu.jpg

This is how I place the pins.

Thank you!!! :kiss:

Oh, one more question: Are they easier to sleep in? It seems as if I could use them for airdried rollersets and they would dry faster and they seem better to sleep in than magnetics (cuz those KILL my neck...)

Years ago I had a hair dresser (that's what they used to be called) that would never ever use direct heat on relaxed hair. She only did rollersets and would press natural hair. She used mesh rollers with end papers and pins. I would sit their and hand her the papers in a rhythm. She had me trained. She had a dryer that would dry my hair in 45 minutes and used ear covers and tied them down with the hair net. My ears and neck would never burn from the heat. She took care of her clients. My hair thrived and she never told me I needed my ends trimmed b/c I didn't have that problem. She stretched my relaxer to 8-9 weeks. I had waist length hair. Im glad I could learn from her.:)

This was my exact same experience. I had a stylist in Boston who never used direct heat- just rollerset with big blue mesh rollers. My ends never needed trimmed either and as a result, I retained length. My hair grew soooo long.

I love rollersetting, but so far I have only used magnetic rollers and I love, love, love the smooth ends that result from this type of rollerset. I don't use end papers and as for the roots, I usually blow out the dents. My question is can you get the same smooth ends using the mesh rollers? Do you have to use end papers to get this result or can the smooth ends be accomplished without end papers? I am facinated about the potential faster drying time. Depending upon your responses, I may be making a pit stop by Sally's....

Ok, Hopeless rollersetter here! I want to rollerset so badly, guys!!

I am going to try the Mesh ones. khandiB said I should get the Annie ones (better than Diane)

What clips do you guys use?

jaiku said:
Do you guys use end papers with the mesh rollers?

A lady that used to do my hair is an advocate of mesh rollers. She will not roll my hair without protecting the ends of my hair with end papers. I noticed too with the mesh rollers, my curls were a lot fuller.

Last edited:
crlsweetie912 said:
meshrollersetcloseup23mu.jpg

This is how I place the pins.

NICE! Thanks for posting. I know what I am trying on my day off next week!

I SO hope this is the answer for me. :( I have finally stopped my love affair with the blowdryer, but I still need to get rollersetting down!

If I can do this with almost 3 month post relaxer hair, I know you can. Tension is the key and I think the endwraps help a lot with that!

vickeyd: I use end papers with mesh rollers cuz my hair does not stick to the roller and the paper helps keep the ends smooth.

HoneyDew: I use pins with mesh rollers. I found that the large bobby pins can destroy the mesh edging.

Sweetalmondeyes said:
vickeyd: I use end papers with mesh rollers cuz my hair does not stick to the roller and the paper helps keep the ends smooth.

HoneyDew: I use pins with mesh rollers. I found that the large bobby pins can destroy the mesh edging.

ok, I said I was going to work through lunch today - NOT! Off the the BSS I go!

I normally rollerset with magnetic rollers. But, I'm going to try out the mesh rollers this weekend. I purchased the 1 1/2 inch Diane brand from BSS today on my way home from work.

crlsweetie912 said:
meshrollersetback4ww.jpg

Someone asked a question about how you get the rods to stay in. Here's a close up of the back of the set. I used rods. See where the arrow is, there are two grooves on every roller to hold the rubber band. If you twist the band to the next groove, it will keep the rod in place. HTH. :)

It was me, thanks for coming thru Crlsweetie.

Thank you all for the pics and great information on roller setting. Boy they brought back a lot of memories for me...back in the day before I got too busy/lazy to really take care of my hair my aunt used to use those mesh rollers on my hair and the results were fantastic.
I just have one question, do any of you use any type of setting lotion when setting?

Thanks in advance:)

~~Cocoa

Thanks for this post b/c the mesh rollers worked very well for me! My hair dried a lot faster than I thought.

I used lottabody setting lotion diluted in water.

I'm worried about the metal in the mesh rollers heating up under the dryer and burning my hair. Is this a problem for anyone?

I tried to use the mesh rollers, but I couldn't them to stay put. I think I'm using the pins incorrectly. Any advice?

I just went back to mesh rollers after a while of not using them. I don't use the pins because I can never get them to act right. I use the same metal clips I use with my magnetic rollers. You may want to give that a try.

I was surprised at how well my hair did, and of course the drying time was great. Under my pibbs on 40, I used the black annie 1 1/2 inch rollers and my hair dried in about 1hr 15 minutes. Mind you, 40 degrees is rather low and my hair length is armpit so that's really well. My magnetics take about 2 hr 15 minutes with the same size rollers. I did use end papers because I like my ends sleek.

The only down fall I always have is the mesh lines. I always get them, but honestly, you would have to be all up in my head to see them. And if you are that close, you deserve to see them. :) Happy setting.

ETA: Now I remember why I stopped using them. For some reason my sets don't last as long as with magnetic. Oh well, so much for giving it another try.

Last edited:
caligirl said:
I'm worried about the metal in the mesh rollers heating up under the dryer and burning my hair. Is this a problem for anyone?

Sometimes it can get a little heated under there, just turn down the dryer a notch. Actually what I do is use higher heat the first 10-15 minutes, then turn it down a notch the rest of the drying time. I use the towel trick to make sure the back gets dry and reduce the drying time.

aileenadq said:
I have only ever used mesh rollers, and for the life of me, I CAN'T use the magnetic palstic ones, b/c they just don't stay in my hair, no matter what I secure them with! The mesh rollers dry my hair much faster, anyway.

There is one MAJOR downside to the mesh rollers, though. I have the purple ones, and they are only 2" wide. For the life of me, I can'f find any bigger than that.

Does anyone know where to get 2 1/2", or even 3" mesh rollers?!?

I have seen the white ones and I think that they are 2 1/2. PM me and I will send you some!

I HAVE ROLLERSET FOR SOOOO LONG..WITH MESH, AND I USE THE GOLD PLASTIC STICK PINS. THEY ARE DIFFERENT FROM THE USUAL OPAQUE STICK PINS. THEY HAVE A SLIVER IF SILVER THROUGH THE CENTER, WHICH MAKES THEM STRONGER. I BUY THEM AT SALLY'[email protected]. I USE THE GREEN 1 1/2 INCH NYLREM ROLLER'S, AND I TAKE THE CENTER BRUSH OUT AND DISPOSE THEM.(NEVER HAD USE FOR THEM)

ALSO, FOR YEAR'S I USED ENDPAPER'S. THEN ABOUT 7 MONTH'S AGO I STOPPED JUST TO SAVE TIME, AND I FOUND THAT I DID NOT NEED THEM. MY END'S ARE STILL HEALTHY BECAUSE BEFORE I ROLL I HAVE OILED MY END'S, AND I APPLY A DAB OF KERACARE PRESSING CREAM ON THE END'S. MY STYLIST DID NOT EVEN ATTEMPT TO TRIM MY END'S THIS TIME, SHE SAID THEY DID NOT NEED IT:D

MAGNETIC ROLLERS GIVE A SMOOTH CURL BUT THE ROOT'S ARE A DIFFERENT STORY. I COULD NEVER GET THEM ON TIGHT AT THE BASE SO MY HAIR ALWAY'S FELT LIKE I NEEDED A RELAXER IN SOME AREA'S.
ANYONE KNOW WHERE TO FIND 2 INCH MESH?

You guys have all had such great results, I tried mesh rollers once and my hair dried with slight waves from the texture mesh rollers. Does anyone get a totally smooth set using mesh rollers? How do you do it?

You all have had such great results with the mesh rollers that I will be visiting Sally's on tomorrow! But do you guys use any kind of setting lotion on your hair before you set or do you just use your leave-in and/or oil. I noticed that when some people set hair to do blow outs, they don't use anything other than their leave in conditioner so that the hair is lighter. But has this seemed to affect anyone's results?

Back