Homemade Protein Treatments

-Love Love*

Do you make your own? Like with eggs and everything? and [excuse my slowness] but do you use like Miracle Whip or hair mayonnaise

My little sis makes her own:

-Queen Helena Cholesterol Conditioner (2 scoops)
- 1 egg
- 2 tbsp of EVOO
- 1 tsp of peppermint Oil

her hair comes out strong & soft.

I used to just cheapie store brand mayonnaise and let it marinate on my hair under a baggy (no heat). I would then wash as usual and it seemed like my hair would be stronger and shinier. I've been really slacking on all DCs lately though :blush:

Care to elaborate? Whats a good length of time? And why is too much protein bad

I feel asleep with it .. so my hair got tangled under the baggy and it was too hard.

I would probably say a good amount of time would be .. 30-45 minutes?

Sistaslick has an article explaining the importance of maintaining the protein-moisture balance.

If you lean to far on the protein side, your hair will lack moisture and elasticity and break.

If you lean to far on the moisture side, your hair will have too much elasticity and not have any real structure.

However, it's far easier to correct a moisture overdose than a protein overdose.

I'm about to search for SistaSlicks article.

ETA: http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/278612/the_fine_art_of_protein_and_moisture.html?cat=69

Last edited:
So if I mixed V05 and a egg together and baggied for about 30 minutes that would be good? When you rinse off the protein do you wash with shampoo or just do a co-wash? I dont want to screw this up if I try a homemade treatment

Back