Homeade Overnight Treatment

santia

Does anyone know of a homemade treatment (Ingredients, mixed products etc) that's good for as an overnight treatment?

Are you looking for a conditioning treatment that you would wash out in the morning? If so I have something you could try.

This a variation of a recipe contributed by goldensugar23 http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=68944

Half can or less coconut milk
1/4 c coconut oil
1/4 c Amla Oil or Olive Oil
A few good squirts of honey

Place this in a good size bowl and nuke this in a microwave until the coconut oil is melted.

After this I add 1/2 c of Proclaim Cholesterol, and mix this in until the mixture is creamy.

You can add more or less of the ingredients depending on the length of your hair. It can be runny, so ensure that you plastic cap and scarf are on securely. I also put a towel on my pillow for insurance.

ETA: there's a bit of trial and error with this concoction. So you may end up switching it up the next time you make it, so don't worry. I actually stopped measuring the ingredients and just eye ball it until I get the texture I like but for the first couple of time it helps to measure and add a little at a time.

Last edited:
i tried that last week and i just LOVE the coconut milk!! i plan on keeping this as a part of my regimen:p
i used coconut milk, coconut, olive, jojoba and sweet almond oil mixed with conditioner and sat under dryer for 30 min and just with a cap for another 30min. it was great! super soft and super manageable:grin:. loosened my natural curl also!

A good one that I used to use all the time is
-mayo
-egg yolk
-honey
-Evoo
it stinks a little but realy adds moisture and strength.

honeybadgirl said:
i tried that last week and i just LOVE the coconut milk!! i plan on keeping this as a part of my regimen:p
i used coconut milk, coconut, olive, jojoba and sweet almond oil mixed with conditioner and sat under dryer for 30 min and just with a cap for another 30min. it was great! super soft and super manageable:grin:. loosened my natural curl also!

I have also used Jojoba and Almond Oil instead of Amla and the results were just as good. I always ensure that I use coconut milk to complement the coconut oil and as the base in the concoction. The last time I didn't I got tons of flakes.

texasgrl said:
A good one that I used to use all the time is
-mayo
-egg yolk
-honey
-Evoo
it stinks a little but realy adds moisture and strength.

I use this too minus the mayo. Maybe the mayo is what makes it smelly? :confused: My concoction isn't smelly.

Lusa said:
I have also used Jojoba and Almond Oil instead of Amla and the results were just as good. I always ensure that I use coconut milk to complement the coconut oil and as the base in the concoction. The last time I didn't I got tons of flakes.

oh wow, really?:( what did the flakes come from?

honeybadgirl said:

That sounds delicious!!!

janiebaby said:
Has anyone tried not heating it up? Were the results just as good?

I have to heat mine up because my coconut oil is in a bottle and is pretty solid, so the only way to get it out is to melt it a little and squeeze out. Let me know how it works unheated.

honeybadgirl said:
oh wow, really?:( what did the flakes come from?

The only reason I can think of is that the cholesterol got chunky overnight without the coconut milk. The only thing I had missing from the mix was the coconut milk. Maybe it would have been different had I sat under the dryer. Who knows? :)

I actually made the mix last night with all the ingredients, and everything was just fine, no little yellow flakes.

santia said:
Does anyone know of a homemade treatment (Ingredients, mixed products etc) that's good for as an overnight treatment?

I have a couple, but when I don't want a lot of work this is one of the ones I use

2-3 tbls castor oil
1/2 cp suave coconut or daily moisture condioner
2 tbls honey
2tbls coconut oil
2 drops almond eo-optional
2 drops chamomile eo-optional
1 drop sweet orange eo-optional

in a bowl, melt the coconut oil, when it's slightly cooled, but still warm to the touch, add the honey slowly. It's a humectant, so you can use more if you would like. then add the castor oil mix completely. once that's mixed, in a seperate bowl, heat up the cheapie conditoner of your choice in the microwave for about 15-20 seconds. You have to keep an eye on it so that it doesn't liquify. You just want it to be warm, mix the ingrediants in a bowl together, last put in your essential oils and apply to dry hair, wraping your head in plastic wrap. Go to bed in the am, rinse throughly. if you find your hair feels "greasy" then do a condioner wash to try to counter act that. My hair always feels soft and smells yummy after that.

I also like to do a deep condition but my staple recipie is similar to what you have already mentioned

1/2 cup qp dpr-11
4 tbls honey
4 tbls melted coconut oil
1/4 cp coconut milk (warmed)
4 tbls jojoba oil
amla powder (I usually use a good amount) that has been mixed w/ water to form a yogurt consistancy.

I mix the amla powder into the batch last

i heat up the coconut milk, and oils in seperate containers
I add the honey to the coconut milk, stiring till disolved, then add the listed oils, then I put that into the qp dpr-11. At this point I heat up the water for the amla powder and mix the amla and water seperately. I add the amla first, then let it sit for about 20-30 min w/ a plastic cap on. then I squish in the conditoner recipe, wrap head in plastic wrap for the night. I do put a towel over my pillows to catch any drips as well. in the am I rinse. For me it's a great conditioning tx, and it helps my curls to pop!

janiebaby said:
Has anyone tried not heating it up? Were the results just as good?

i heated it up a bit but when i it do again i dont think i'll bother because i sit under the dryer anyway. i'll let you know when i do.
oh i did and would have to melt the coconut oil before i add it to the milk, conditioner and other oils

Last edited:
Blend an extremely overripe avocado with olive oil and mayonnaise for an overnight conditioner.

Be sure to mix in the blender until you obtain the texture of creamy deep conditioner; crushing the avocado leaves chunks which may be difficult to remove from your hair, especially type 4 naturals.

Back