Home grown ideas...

sweetcocoa

After looking at Peachtree's home grown 'caruso steamer' I thought it would be fun to post all the 'inventions' and ideas we've come up with in the pursuit of beautiful hair(and cause we couldn't afford the 'real deal'... which sometimes wasn't really worth what they wanted anyways)
I have 2 ideas that I picked up from this forum, plus one of my own...

1. Use a ironing board to set your hooded dryer on. It can be adjusted to the perfect height.

2. Store the snap on tops of the magnetic rollers inside the roller to give them that like new 'snug' fit when you use them.

3. My own device is using a hot damp towel under a plastic cap then under my hair dryer for my own at home 'salon steam treatment'.

Great idea, Sweetcocoa!

I have what I called my homemade "dew". I researched the ingredients that are in dew which is the following.

Ingredients in CH Dew:
Purified water, glycol, cyclomethicone, dimethicone, polysorbate 20, coconut oil, lanolin, methyplaraben, propylparaben, FD&C yellow No. 6 and 5

So I mixed some Pantene Light Detangling Spray and Hot Six Oil and made my own "dew". Here are the ingredients in both of those products:

Pantene Detangle Light Spray Conditioner:
Water, polyquaternium-37, propylene, glycol dicaprylate/dicaprate, ppg-1 trideceth-6, panthenol, panthenyl ethyl ether, pvp/va copolymer, peg-4, dimethicone, dmdm hydantoin, disodium edta, fragrance, polysorbate 80, octyl methoxycinnamate, silk amino acids, peg-5m.

Hot Six Oil
Ingredients
Olive Oil , Canola Oil , Wheat Germ , Sweet Almond Oil , Safflower Oil , Castor Oil , Sesame Oil , Vitamin E , Vitamin A , Vitamin D , Cyclomethicone , Sheep Sorrell , Yarrow , Wheat Germ , Slippery Elm Bark , BLack Walnut , Chamomile , Jaborandi Heavenly Hemp , Alfalfa , Hyssop , Fragrance

I just poured some hot six into the bottle of Pantene and shook like crazy. I use this to mist my hair several times a day. It keeps my hair moist w/o weighing it down. I think the ingredients are comparable and it works for me!
smile.gif
The only things missing are the coconut oil and lanolin that are in the dew, but I think all the other oils in the Hot Six compensate.
smile.gif

One day I'll experiment with using coconut oil in it or use Carolyn Gray's Healthier Hair Oil instead of Hot Six.

[ QUOTE ]
Store the snap on tops of the magnetic rollers inside the roller to give them that like new 'snug' fit when you use them.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a great idea. When I get home, I'm going to try this. Thanks Sweetcocoa.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Store the snap on tops of the magnetic rollers inside the roller to give them that like new 'snug' fit when you use them.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a great idea. When I get home, I'm going to try this. Thanks Sweetcocoa.

[/ QUOTE ]

oh my! Yes, that's a great idea! I'm going to do that!
Thanks sweetcocoa!

This is gonna be really fun SweetCocoa
smile.gif
. Ok, here's some of mine...

1) My infamous "Sponge Roller Steamers". I have 3 kinds...

A) Caruso...place the center opening of a sponge roller on a Caruso steamer.

B) Microwave...place sponge rollers in a shallow bowl of hot water. Squeeze away the drips. Oil the entire outter part of the roller. This keeps the sponge roller from absorbing the moisture from your hair (the sponge has it own moisture & the oil acts like a "blocker"). Oiling the roller also helps to keep frizzies at a minimum.

C) Stove Top...boiler, collander, small funnell, aluminum foil, sponge rollers. Small funnell is slightly inserted into center of sponge roller & placed in the center of the collander. Collander is place ontop of a boiler. Tip... cover the entire outter region of the collander with aluminum foil. This helps to "trap" in the steam. Cover top of collander with aluminum foil. * This is pictured in my album under accessories *

2) Use a "slip" as a silk bonnett when sleeping in large rollers.

3) Rest hooded dryer on top of ironing board. Sweet Cocoa, I do this too
cool.gif

4) Use "flexirods" to create cute lil buns & french rolls.

5) Deep conditioning...there's 2
A) When I'm too lazy to "deep condition" under a hooded dryer, I'll cover my conditioned hair with a plastic cap & let the warm shower stream run along top of the plastic cap.

B) Warm a bath towel (in water) in the microwave. Squeeze out water & apply on top of plastic cap (I think a lot of members do this one!!)

6) Line sponge rollers with silk or satin cloth. Keeps rollers from absorbing your hair's moisture.

7) Line hats, caps, skull caps with silk or satin cloth. Gives excellent protection.

Goodness, I know there's more...but I'm having memory loss right now. When I think of them, I'll post 'em!
smile.gif

Sweetcocoa, I love threads like this.
cool.gif

Hey JenJen2721,

I did something similar with the Motions CPR Critical Protection & Repair Treatment Hairdressing. I was at Penney's checking out the Mizani Rose H2O when I realized that the ingredients were very similar to that of the Motions CPR so instead of wasting more money I just went to my local health food store and picked up a bottle of rose water. I then went home and added some of the rose water and a few drops of ylang ylang, peppermint, sage, and sandalwood oils to the Motions CPR and I now have a homemade version of the Mizani Rose H2O.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a brilliant idea
smile.gif
. But there's no hope for me, cuz I threw all of my "snap on tops" in the trash
laugh.gif
. I use lil "slide clips" to hold the rollers now.. Oh BTW, the "slide clips" really speed up the drying time cuz the hair is fully exposed to the air for drying. (the snap on tops sorta' block the air from getting directly to the hair).

I love threads like this! I posted this on another thread but thought I'd add my two cents here too.

Though the cost of the phonytails are not particularly prohibitive, the weight and texture were problems for me. So, I went to the BSS and bought some human hair weave with texture to it. I bought two colors to match the natural highlights in my hair. I cut the pocket off of an old, dark brown silk blouse and sewed 3 rows of weave on by hand. I then ran some elastic through the top seam so that it even has a built in scrunchie. It took me about 30 minutes. I love it! I can do the Adrienne baggie trick and stick my hair in my silk pocket phonytail. It's lighter, it looks so natural and on the days that I go out with wet hair, I can wet the phonytail too - it dries with a nice wave that looks like my hair when I do a braid out. I can also put a loose braid in it or a twist.

I also keep old silk blouses to cover all sorts of rollers/curlers.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a brilliant idea
smile.gif
laugh.gif
. I use lil "slide clips" to hold the rollers now.. Oh BTW, the "slide clips" really speed up the drying time cuz the hair is fully exposed to the air for drying. (the snap on tops sorta' block the air from getting directly to the hair).

[/ QUOTE ]

Peachtree, you know I never thought about that....I'm getting to the point where I hate waiting for my hair to dry...(note to myself...try using clips only...)Thanks!

Oh and the slip over large rollers...great idea. You never have to worry about finding a bonnet big enough. Thanks again...
Also I am loving all your differnt methods of steaming the rollers.
smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
I love threads like this! I posted this on another thread but thought I'd add my two cents here too.

Though the cost of the phonytails are not particularly prohibitive, the weight and texture were problems for me. So, I went to the BSS and bought some human hair weave with texture to it. I bought two colors to match the natural highlights in my hair. I cut the pocket off of an old, dark brown silk blouse and sewed 3 rows of weave on by hand. I then ran some elastic through the top seam so that it even has a built in scrunchie. It took me about 30 minutes. I love it! I can do the Adrienne baggie trick and stick my hair in my silk pocket phonytail. It's lighter, it looks so natural and on the days that I go out with wet hair, I can wet the phonytail too - it dries with a nice wave that looks like my hair when I do a braid out. I can also put a loose braid in it or a twist.

[/ QUOTE ]

Cheveux, I was looking for a 'phony' tail to give my hair a break...but I can't find any that look natural enough...
Thanks for posting this. I have some hair that I brought a long time ago for braiding...that matches my hair color perfectly...I'm gonna be busy this weekend. Thanks!

[ QUOTE ]
This is a brilliant idea
smile.gif
laugh.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok, what are "slide clips"?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
This is a brilliant idea
smile.gif
laugh.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok, what are "slide clips"?

[/ QUOTE ]
I took it as meaning the little silver clips...but I may be wrong...

This may sound really ghetto but hey...

After washing my weaves, I put them in the dryer to dry and I use an Iron...yes a Iron to get them straight before I put the weave or ponytail back in. It takes too long with a flat iron so I just use my regular ol' clothes iron...but I'm not ghetto...really.

[ QUOTE ]
This may sound really ghetto but hey...

After washing my weaves, I put them in the dryer to dry and I use an Iron...yes a Iron to get them straight before I put the weave or ponytail back in. It takes too long with a flat iron so I just use my regular ol' clothes iron...but I'm not ghetto...really.

[/ QUOTE ]
Actually I remember(yea..I'm old but I don't care)...pictures of white women ironing their hair to get it really flat....so apparently this works really well.

I am loving this thread. especially about the dew. i dont know if it was this forum or the old one but someone said that haiwaiian silky and carefree curl made products similar to it or that it worked in the same way. i want to try a moisturizer like dew since it is raved about here but not with the price tag so this is cool. God bless you all.

Re: home made \"dew\"

Curlycrly & SweetCocoa, yeah, the lil silver clips
smile.gif
. Sorry, I made up my own name for 'em
laugh.gif
!

SweetCocoa, my rollersets dried 1.5 hrs sooner... I went from 3 dreaded hrs to 1.5 hrs. in those purple jumbo magnetic rollers.... I WAS SOLD
smile.gif
, & threw away those snap on's..
smile.gif
!!

Re: home made \"dew\"

[ QUOTE ]
JenJen,

How much Hot Six Oil did you add to the Pantene Spray?

[/ QUOTE ]

MiaLi,
I'm not sure...if I had to guesstimate, I would say approx 1-2 TBSP. to a bottle. I basically just put enough in to where when I spray some on my fingers and rubbed my fingers together, I could feel the oil in it. If that makes sense...
scratchchin.gif

I basically just experimented adding a little at a time until it felt moisturizing.
smile.gif

HTH,
Jen

Re: homemade \"dew\"

Thanks for the information JenJen. Your signature verse is one I admire.

The scent of the Hot Six Oil is a bit heavy for me so I think I might try KeraCare Essential Oils instead. I think the main objective with "dew" then is to combine a good water-based conditioner with natural oils to keep the hair moisturized.

Everyone keep the homemade ideas going!

Mia

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Cheveux, I was looking for a 'phony' tail to give my hair a break...but I can't find any that look natural enough...
Thanks for posting this. I have some hair that I brought a long time ago for braiding...that matches my hair color perfectly...I'm gonna be busy this weekend. Thanks!

[/ QUOTE ]

SweetCocoa, I'll agree... I too can't find one that looks natural. Either it's too "silky" or the color is all wrong. I'm gonna buy some hair & make my own too
smile.gif

What a great thread!

1. I've made my own concoction to moisturize my hair simular to what was previously mentioned. My fav. conditioner w/oil sometimes a little aloe vera as well. Distilled water and EO on occasion.

2. Since putting the thought of buying a hair steamer is on the back burner, I, last week after doing my children's hair, found myself without a plastic cap to use that was dry. So I used one of the wet ones after rinsing it again inside and out with water. Without squeezing or shaking it off I put it on and then used my bonnet dryer. I'm still modifying the temp. and amount of time because my hair gets hot if the time is too long (time flys when on the Internet).

3. I have resently worn a snood under my felt/wool hat (hanging down in the back) to protect my hair from the hat.

4. After hearing it mention, I still have my black bonnet on my head rest in the car and a silk scarf on my seat back. This came in handy during the summer when I was wearing my hair out in braid/twistouts. It still comes in handy with me sporting bun/protective styles.

I love this thread.

I spray my hair with a mixture of jojoba oil, coconot oil, warm water, lavendar oil and rosemary oil. I don't have a particular recipe. I just mingle them and shake before I use this. I do this at night before covering my hair with a silk scarf as my collegeau told me I smell :-)

In the weekend I use the same mixture, but then I have a bun with a jumbo jaw with smooth, rounded edges.

I have fine hair and s-curl was initially causing breakage, so I mix it with my redken's anti-snap which has got protein in it (sometimes, I also add a lil' carrot oil to the mixture) and apply to all but my scalp. Carrot oil does go to my scalp. When I'm done, I apply just-enough-to-coat-both-palm amount of safflower oil over the hair. So far so good!

Back