Home dominican blowouts

treybaby2005

Does anyone do their own dominican blowout at home?Where can I purchase one of those round brushes they use?Or is there one that is more hair friendly when blowing out your roots?

I'm going to try to learn, but I'm going to use a paddle brush instead of round, b/c the round brush always got tangled in my hair. I bought a Denman D83 online @ Amazon. If you have a Ulta nearby they always have a large selection of brushes, round and paddle. I think generally the longer your hair is the bigger the brush should be, and I have heard that a mixture of nylon and boar bristles are good b/c the nylon goes all the way to the scalp for grip and the boar bristles smooth.

Curious, but what about this style of blow drying makes it "Dominican"?
I don't know I just wanted to try and get my hair the same way they do it so I don't have to go as often.I guess its just called blowing your roots out.idk.But I was curious to what brush to use.

just that fact that this is their main technique of doing hair... thats how they do hair period... so therefore it is called the dominican blow out.

Is it that they do a rollerset or wrap first, then blowout the roots after? I have never had one, nor know anyone that gets it done.

Honestly, it isn't that hard to do. You can find small brush at a high end salon such as Trade Secret. just make sure it's Boar's Bristle. Also, GBS Beauty Supply is online and down the street from me. They have everything there.

Does anyone do their own dominican blowout at home?Where can I purchase one of those round brushes they use?Or is there one that is more hair friendly when blowing out your roots?

Sorry for all the questions, but I wanted to be clear on what a Dom blow out was before I responded. I still don't know what their techniques are, but I blow dry my own hair. I use a large ceramic roundbrush and a tourmaline blow dryer. Here is a pic of my recent blow dry results:

I part my slightly damp hair off into 4 sections. Starting at a rear quadrant, I spray on some heat protectant, then I hold the entire section taut into a pony with one hand while blowing the roots with cool air to get out most or all of the moisture at the roots. Then I half that section, clip up the top most part, then place the brush under the section as close to the roots as possible. I pull the brush and point the nozzle about 2 inches over the hair that is over the brush, rolling as I go. I hold the brush like a roller all the way to the head as I blow the air on brush. This gets the ends nice and smooth, like a rollerset does. After that, I release the hair, and if it is still damp, I repeat, this time, rolling the brush several times as I go. It took me several attempts to get this down, because it is awkward. But you'll get used to the placement and technique improves over time. HTH!

Sorry for all the questions, but I wanted to be clear on what a Dom blow out was before I responded. I still don't know what their techniques are, but I blow dry my own hair. I use a large ceramic roundbrush and a tourmaline blow dryer. Here is a pic of my recent blow dry results:

I part my slightly damp hair off into 4 sections. Starting at a rear quadrant, I spray on some heat protectant, then I hold the entire section taut into a pony with one hand while blowing the roots with cool air to get out most or all of the moisture at the roots. Then I half that section, clip up the top most part, then place the brush under the section as close to the roots as possible. I pull the brush and point the nozzle about 2 inches over the hair that is over the brush, rolling as I go. I hold the brush like a roller all the way to the head as I blow the air on brush. This gets the ends nice and smooth, like a rollerset does. After that, I release the hair, and if it is still damp, I repeat, this time, rolling the brush several times as I go. It took me several attempts to get this down, because it is awkward. But you'll get used to the placement and technique improves over time. HTH!

MM, you are doing a Caucasian blowout!:lachen: Whew, girl I love ya!

The Dominican process is to fully dry the hair with a rollerset and then blow out the roots using a hair dryer and a round brush to straighten the roots so it matches the smoothness of the rollerset hair. Sometimes they blow out the whole hair, kinda like you mentioned above, but from what I gather, it's always done on roller set and fully dried hair. I have been trying to get a good look at this blowout technique as well, but haven't been able to come across anything. I, like you, have never had one done, so, I have nothing to compare to.

I blow out the roots on my roller set dried hair at home to simulate this, but I use a round bush/hair dryer tool all in one. http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000YPMZQI?smid=A1BSZVF3U5K79Q&tag=nextag-hpc-20&linkCode=asn
All I do is pull my hair taut, and wrap just the roots around the brush part as close to my head as possible and using a rolling motion (BUT I never wrap/roll the hair over on itself, always just the roots) I blow the roots out. Pics of my blowout and more info on the tool are in my FOTKI for Feb 2008.:yep:

HTH!

Last edited:
I do them. After rollersetting, I'll blow out my roots for do a doobie. I have 3 different size/style round brushes. I use the boar's hair one on my daughter's hair, I don't like it for mine really. I like my ceramic one w/o the bulbs on the end.

Interesting - when I see those brushes in the store they always scare the life out of me!

I KNOW, right? I saw the brush and was like - YIKES! But it went through my hair really smooth and I used it on a friend's hair the other day and when you finish, there's no hair in the actual brush. She'a APL, too. We both are like 4a relaxed. Like it didn't tangle or pull any out. She said the dryer heat was hot so close to her scalp, but other than that, the brush didn't tangle. BUT, I don't roll the hair over and over on itself, so maybe that's why it's working for me?

ETA: LOVE your hair by the way!!!

MM, you are doing a Caucasian blowout!:lachen: Whew, girl I love ya!

The Dominican process is to fully dry the hair with a rollerset and then blow out the roots using a hair dryer and a round brush to straighten the roots so it matches the smoothness of the rollerset hair. Sometimes they blow out the whole hair, kinda like you mentioned above, but from what I gather, it's always done on roller set and fully dried hair. I have been trying to get a good look at this blowout technique as well, but haven't been able to come across anything. I, like you, have never had one done, so, I have nothing to compare to.

Oh, thank you, FindingMe! Then I guess I do my own Dominican blowouts, too :blush:

Doing the rollerset then blowing out the roots is easier than blowing out the whole head, which is way faster in comparison. That hot air brush tool you posted looks very interesting, and seems like it would be easy to use.

Caucasian blowout??? Girl, you are crazy, but I loves you too!

i use a hot air brush on my roots, but i am wayyy too afraid to seriously get one of those hardcore blowdryers to do my hair i jus dont think i could do a true dominican blow out on my hair without damaging it myself.

i find the hot airbrush to do the job but i am a natural also.

i use a hot air brush on my roots, but i am wayyy too afraid to seriously get one of those hardcore blowdryers to do my hair i jus dont think i could do a true dominican blow out on my hair without damaging it myself.

i find the hot airbrush to do the job but i am a natural also.

:yep::yep: Unfortunately that's the downside to getting them. They stretch the hair to get it so straight that it eventually thins the hair tremendously.

Oh, thank you, FindingMe! Then I guess I do my own Dominican blowouts, too :blush:

Doing the rollerset then blowing out the roots is easier than blowing out the whole head, which is way faster in comparison. That hot air brush tool you posted looks very interesting, and seems like it would be easy to use.

Caucasian blowout??? Girl, you are crazy, but I loves you too!

It is. Bc you only use a tool in one hand, much like you would use a curling iron. I hold the ends of the hair in one hand and the hot air brush in the other. The hot air flowing from inside the brush, heats the ceramic barrel, so it straightens nicely for me.

It's the round brush and the high watt blow dryers they use to make their Afro textured hair as straight as europeans.

Interesting, because every AA stylist I have ever known blow dries this way. Go figure. I mean, their clients would walk into the salon with brillo pads on their heads, and walk out swinging hair so hard they would need neck braces by the end of the week. I dunno, maybe it's a bty school thing, b/c most of the stylists I know all went to the same bty school.

I am going to attempt to do my own version of D Blowout. I went to the salon and they got it really straight. I don't feel I need to use as much heat as they do in the salon.

:yep::yep: Unfortunately that's the downside to getting them. They stretch the hair to get it so straight that it eventually thins the hair tremendously.

^^^^^^ Yep, you are right. Their technique is t rollerset with little to no product, the blow drow straight with a roundbrush from root to tip, with a concentration attachement on the blow dryer. Still with little to no product so they can have that "slinky bounce".

The stretch the hair all the way out. Dominican Blowouts are NOT Healthy. And when you go to a dominican salon for a blowout, check the brush bristles. Most I see are using brushes with bent up bristles :nono:.

I only will go for a rollerset (though I fing that black salons roll better, but are more expensive) I dont get blowouts, I have once before. Never again. :nono::nono:

Interesting, because every AA stylist I have ever known blow dries this way. Go figure. I mean, their clients would walk into the salon with brillo pads on their heads, and walk out swinging hair so hard they would need neck braces by the end of the week. I dunno, maybe it's a bty school thing, b/c most of the stylists I know all went to the same bty school.

The call it thish because its there main mode of styling. Most of their salons do rollersets with blowouts exlcusively and is why its so cheap to go to them, its like a freaking assembley line, wash, set, blow. NEXT! wash set blow. They dont vary much, they do the same thing all day.

The call it thish because its there main mode of styling. Most of their salons do rollersets with blowouts exlcusively and is why its so cheap to go to them, its like a freaking assembley line, wash, set, blow. NEXT! wash set blow. They dont vary much, they do the same thing all day.

I got you, sounds sort of like the Korean nail shops.

Yes they are wonderful. When they are done but. A lot of damage occurs with all the stretching. I'm the victim of that. 4 years of blow outs every week plus I had a color. Man my hair got thin and lifeless and would not hold a curl. I know better now. Whenever I see those high powered dryers I run.

Probably. The brazilians use this method on their hair too. The brush they use is a round boar bristle brush though - I'll try and find a pic to post.

I got you, sounds sort of like the Korean nail shops.

Exactly! Same concept. Dominican Salons are NOT as healthy as most think they are. The ones I have been to dont use Dominican Products either...........maybe back in DR they did, but its expensive to buy dominican products here and for a $10-$15 hairstyle its not worth it for them to give you quality stuff.

Now if your a regualr and they like you................they will pull out some good stuff sometimes. Or if there cousin shipped a package from DR full of dom products they get cheap......... You know where I'm going.

What is healthy is the rollerset, but you can get that anywhere. I find that black salons are neater with the rollerset. Also the Dominicans dont really use setting lotion, because it doesnt make the best enviroment for a blowout.

Setting lotion makes your sets neater and crisp, and keeps your cuticles flat. with a good neat rollerset i dont need a root blow (I dont get one anyways)

Last edited:
Back