hola amigos from a newbie (kinda pic heavy)

happylife

Hi! :wave::wave::wave::wave:

Stop me if you have heard this story before... :o)
After spending months visiting LHCF numerous times a day, I decided to become a full fledge card carrying member.

I am so excited to be among the ranks of so many shades of beautiful women who all are passionate about having great hair!

I have to admit, before finding LHCF, I didn't put much thought or effort into taking care of my hair. I have gone Brittany Spears on my hair maybe 2 or 3 times w/in the last 4 or 5 years or so ( give or take a year). In fact, my regi has been going to the salon when I can afford it and cutting it all off when the damage appeared to be too much to overcome. My hair care tips usually came from an article or two from an Essence magazine. I have not had any luck finding a stylist with hair longer than shoulder length hair in my area. I know that's not a mandatory qualification to be a great stylist...just seems to lend them a little bit more credibility when they work with real hair IMO. Its been my experience that many of them are much better at doing weave than real hair. If I had a dollar for each time my wet curls were roughly combed through (as if I could go to the store the next day & buy it again) I would be able to clear up our nation's debt to China and also buy Fox News an occasional clue.

I am posting pic of my hair's current condition.

I get a relaxer about 2 -4 times/yr. I am not 100 % sure if I am really beyond APL. I am bra length with some bras and with some bras I am not. I think I am a 4a.... not too sure about that either. I put my last relaxer in myself about a month ago. I was really nervous about that because I have some breakage along my nape. The worst thing is I can't really account for how that happened exactly. My hair is kinda thin in some areas from having braids for a month some years ago. As a result, I cant use too much oil or heat protect or my hair will look thin, greasy and see through.

picture.php

this is after a cowash with silk elements mega cholesterol and redken smooth down applied to my hair after....I can be the victim of horrible tangles if i don't apply moisture to my hair before combing through my wet hair.
picture.php

nape damage..not sure how this happened. found it a few months ago

picture.php

after a flat ironing with matrix vavoom gold heat

Last edited:
Your hair looks great!
I think the better way to measure whether or not you are BSL is to measure by the bottom of your shoulder blade. You are definitely beyond APL.
Welcome to the forum!

Hola, bienvenida
I have kind of the same thinking as you. If a hair styler, someone that supposed to have lots of knowledge about hair then why their hair (sometimes) is so bad? ... that's mandatory for me, don't care they are ear lenght or WL, i actually look for a beautiful healthy hair, if she can manage her hair, she can do the same for me.

Gorgeous hair =)

welcome :) i've had nape breakage in the past, one day hair is there the next it's not lol! but what I do when I relax now is I apply relaxer to that area last since it gets straight pretty fast and now it's growing back since i've left that area for last. hth.

Welcome to the forum. Sorry to hear about your nape, but you've come to the right place.:yep: BTW your hair is pretty.

Last edited:
welcome :) i've had nape breakage in the past, one day hair is there the next it's not lol! but what I do when I relax now is I apply relaxer to that area last since it gets straight pretty fast and now it's growing back since i've left that area for last. hth.

Thanks for tip. I am going to try that next time. Last time I relaxeded I based my scalp really well and put BB castor oil on all the previously relaxed hair the best I could. I also left the neutralizing shampoo on my hair for at least 5 min.

Welcome, I'm glad you found this forum. I'm sorry to hear about your breakage and cutting your hair off due to damage, but now you have all these resources available to you! You have very pretty hair btw :)!

Welcome to LHCF! I wish my hair had looked as good as yours when I started. Your nape will grow in nicely as you put to use the habits and practices that the women here share with one another. Don't worry...and if you can help it...don't BC unless there is some compelling reason other than health that you feel is insurmountable. There is such a wealth of info here, that the BC can now be reserved to a calm and rational decision based in best information.

Best to you, and again....Welcome!!

cj

Back