Highlights on Natural Hair? Is it Possible?

blkbeauty

I was thinking about getting hightlights on my natural hair. But the places I've called seemed enthusiastic up until I asked, "but can you highlight natural hair? then all H*ll broke loose. The responses were "well I am not sure" or "I don't think the hair is going to pull all the way through the cap? Geez!!

Are there any ladies on this board who has there natural hair highlighted, because I am starting to think that maybe these salons are right, maybe its not possible :perplexed:

I had my hair highlighted when i was natural. But my stylist pulled too much hair through and I did not end up with highlights it was almost full color. Make sure they check your hair for porosity, my hair was really pourous. They could also use the foil method.

The stylist probably acted that way because you mentioned natural, I got that alot and I mean alot.

i have never highlighted, but i know you can highlight natural hair. what color are you going for? Henna works well.;) If you must get it done in a salon I would recommend you go to a salon that specializes in or advertises they know to do natural hair.

Yikes. That is what I am afraid of. It just dawned on me that I haven't seen too many naturals with highlights. After a color tragedy 5 years ago, I am afraid of putting color back in my hair as it is. I nmight just do a home rimse...:lol:

All of my hair was colored, dark brown, and I had light brown and blonde highlights. Plus, I'm natural. I don't color anymore though.

Whenever I went to get my hair dyed/highlights updated, I braided my hair beforehand in large braids and then removed them so that my hair would be stretched and easier for the sylist to manage, otherwise he would be pissy about my nappy hair. Doing this can help you to if you go to a salon.

Super_Hero_Girl said:
All of my hair was colored, dark brown, and I had light brown and blonde highlights. Plus, I'm natural. I don't color anymore though.

Whenever I went to get my hair dyed/highlights updated, I braided my hair beforehand in large braids and then removed them so that my hair would be stretched and easier for the sylist to manage, otherwise he would be pissy about my nappy hair. Doing this can help you to if you go to a salon.

Good idea. I am taking a day off tomorrow, so hopefully I can spend the early morning braiding my hair, berfore I decide who I am going to go to. By the way, I am also confused on the pricing. One salon charges $25 for highlights and another $150? That's a big difference! What is reasonable?

I "highlighted" my own hair by braiding/twisting my hair before coloring it. I know there are a few naturals on nappturality who have professionally colored and highlighted at Aveda.

~p1

Of course you can highlight natural hair; you can do MORE with natural hair- that's the beauty of it!! I've highlighted my own, as well as all over color, bleach and double processed color (my towels look horrible- had to buy new ones that are off limits during my coloring frenzies!!).
I agree with sassy, go with foiling, not the old school pull-through cap thing; that will rip anyone's hair out whether relaxed, natural, permed, whatever.

There are quite a few options for highlighting natural hair. The method used should depend on hair type, hair density and desired result. The highlights are best done on straightened/stretched hair and can be applied freehand, through a cap or foiled. I prefer the foil method for greater control and better results.

Thanks ladies. I made an appointment with Aveda and luckily, they are going to charge me $70. Beats that $150 at the other salon. Now I just hope that they are very gentle with my hair. I haven't to a salon since Dec 2003...GEEZ, I am due for something.

blkbeauty said:
Thanks ladies. I made an appointment with Aveda and luckily, they are going to charge me $70. Beats that $150 at the other salon. Now I just hope that they are very gentle with my hair. I haven't to a salon since Dec 2003...GEEZ, I am due for something.

bumping- how did this work out? I ask because I'm think about doing the exact same thing next week (going to Aveda for highlights) but I'm scared of the potential damage.

well highlights can be done on natural hair. The front of my hair has highlights. I woud not do permanent color on my hair. I think it has definitely weakened the strands that have the color:( However, i have good things about the Aveda people. My color was done with a stylist who had no idea what they were doing:(

But good luck with your experience!

Back