highlighted hair help!

bimbabe

I got some highlights done like 3 weeks ago and I noticed that my shedded hair consists mainly of these highlights and I have a little bit of breakage as well. Nothing too serious I have experienced serious breakage before and this is mild.

For all of you who have colour in your hair what products did you find helpful in maintaining the colour and minimizing breakage? Should I invest in new products specifically for coloured hair or continue using what I have?

Thanks

I had highlights for over a year prior to joining this board and I never experienced shedding or breakage of the highlighted hair. Since joining this board, all of my hair has grown and looks healthier. Its true that oils, moisturizers, etc can darken the highlights until your next wash. I personally like this variation and I dont use color preserving products. I get them re-done every 6 to 9 months. I Love them!! enjoy yours...I bet they look great! PICS please!!!

Luna maybe I am being paranoid with the coloring thing! I had a bad experience with some bleach years ago and I am trying to maintain and care for my hair alot better now. And thank goodness I have you guys to help out.

I will work on an updated pic soon!

Last edited:
When I had my hair highlighted the last time, I noticed the same drying/breaking effects (this was also pre LHCF). I attributed them completely to the highlights because my regimen didn't change yet I was getting more breakage. My stylist explained that bleached hair is much dryer than unbleached hair, so sometimes the texture changes (the curl of the bleached hair was much looser) and that it's more prone to breakage if you dont take extra care to moisturize it. My advice would be to use a moisturizing shampoo, increase your conditioning time, do protein treatments once a week, and make sure you seal the hair with the moisture. Some product suggestions are Cream of Nature for Dry Brittle Hair (shamp), LUST (moisturizing condit), Motions CPR (protein), and oil (coconut or Wild Growth Oil).

I have noticed a change in texture just weeks after adding the highlights. The highlighted hair does look stripped and thinner than the other strands.
swearing.gif
The things we do to look purtyyy!

I did a wash today (olive oil/humectress/water pretreat), Therappe shampoo (1 rinse), Humectress (1/2 hr), LUST (1/2 HOUR. I noticed the shedding but it could also be because I am approaching touch up time.

So add a bit more protein and mositure? What about coloured products? I have my eye on Rusk Brilliance Grapefruit and Honey shampoo and leave in. Somebody give me a reason to nip this PJism at the bud!
wasntme.gif

With highlights and bleach the key is maintaining elasticity and restoring the protein to your hair. Your hair is breaking because it lost a lot of protein. Up the protein - that's first.

Get a concentrated protein conditioner like Penetraitt or Aphoghee (read the insructions carefully) and apply it now. Follow with a moisturizing conditioner. Then add weekly mild protein treatments - these are creamy, I like Jerri Rheddings Protein Pac, HI PRO PAC, and La Maur Bone Marrow - to your regime. Add a light oil to your hair like Kemi or anything you like. be careful with anything that will make your hair oversoft (Watch CON shampoo and anything with glycerin in it, makes the hair very soft, You need strengthening.) and keep a close watch. Consider coating the hair with a rinse - Sebasitian, Adore - to protect and seal the cuticle. You can pick a color that enhances rather than covers the highlights.

HTH
smile.gif

Thank you so much Tracy.
notworthy.gif
I definitely always thought being soft was a good thing and was moisterizing like crazy, but I can see how it can be damaging in this case. Gonna up the protein from now.

Definitely do ....

Bu watch your hair too - if it begins to feel dry or brittle then add a mositurizing treatment once every other week to strike a balance. For now tho while it's nreaking, do the protein and see what happens. Only do the aphoghee-type stuff once for now. One treatment should do it. Good luck chica!
smile.gif

bimbabe - Moisturise alot ... and if u can ....leave some conditioner on the higlighted parts during the day

Back