High Porosity Color Fail

lacreolegurl

I need help.

Last week, in order to celebrate my upcoming 2y fully natural anniversary, I treated myself to a new color. What was supposed to be a good thing was an ultimate fail. Even though I did my research and even had a consult with the colorist, I ended up with a color I didn't want (even after the addition of toner).

On top of it all, my hair is now high porosity, whereas before it was normal.

It tangles easily when wet. My curls look the same after they dry, but when wet, my hair is really stretched to the point of just looking wavy. I'm scared to comb through it and do so very gently. I haven't seen unusual shedding yet. I have been alternating between deep conditioning and protein treatments.

I don't know what to do. How do I get my slip back? Please don't tell me that I have to cut anything.:cry4::cry2:

If you aren't experiencing shedding and your curls look the same dry, why would you cut your hair. the waviness is probably a temporary effect of the hair dye(s). personally if my curls looked the same dry and my hair wasnt breaking or damaged, i woudn't cut a darn thing

Bumping! Over 200 views and no one has had color damage or a recommendation for a good penetrating conditioner for color damage?

sharice My concern is that this is something that can only be fixed by trimming off the dyed hair. Since wash and go is my go to style and my hair feels too fragile for additional manipulation, any advice on how to repair it? When wet my hair feels stiff and hard to the touch...is that temporary as well?

Anyway, I just picked up Roux Porosity Control. I hope that helps.

lacreolegurl,

I wish I could help but not sure how much help I can be.

I think the Porosity control should help.

What type of protein treatments are you doing? I am wondering if the protein treatment you are using is not adequate for a color job.

I color my hair and my hair is more porous as a result. I recently used the ION Reconstructor which has helped immensely.

Have you talked to the colorist about this?

Protein+Wash n Go= breakage IMO

You may have to chill out on the the wash and go's and protein for a little while. Here's what I'd personally do in a month:

I'd put a cellophane rinse (the color of my natural hair) on my hair for a protective coating. Then deep condition.

I'd follow the next week with another cellophane, this time clear. Then deep condition.

Wash and deep condition for the next 2 weeks.

Repeat.

Semi permanents (cellophanes) have a mild protein content so there would be no overload or excessive hardening but would give your hair that extra coating needed for protection.

Thank you! faithVA

I will definitely research the ION reconstructor you mentioned.

I'm using a deep conditioning protein pack - Palmer's Coconut Oil Formula. Maybe I should pull out the hard core stuff - Aphogee?

As for the colorist, I haven't spoken to her again. I really don't trust her since she was the one who messed up the color even after I went back for a correction.

Browndilocks. Thank you!

I definitely feel like I need a coating of protection on it. I will look into the cellophane as well. My hair is frizzier now...it seems like that would really help. And if it would help me to do a twist out or braid out and manipulate my hair less, I'm all for it.

Bumping! Over 200 views and no one has had color damage or a recommendation for a good penetrating conditioner for color damage?

@sharice My concern is that this is something that can only be fixed by trimming off the dyed hair. Since wash and go is my go to style and my hair feels too fragile for additional manipulation, any advice on how to repair it? When wet my hair feels stiff and hard to the touch...is that temporary as well?

Anyway, I just picked up Roux Porosity Control. I hope that helps.

You colored your hair only a week ago so why would you be flipping out already over wanting to cut it. It sounds like you need to lay off the moisturizing DCs and start with median/hardcore protein treatment to get your hair back in structure. Then I would just follow up with a moisturizing (little to no cones, or fillers) leave-in conditioner. Washing and going might not be a good idea until your hair gets healthy again. Find different styles to work with in the meanwhile.

[USER=87063 said:
lacreolegurl[/USER];17938935]Thank you! faithVA

I will definitely research the ION reconstructor you mentioned.

I'm using a deep conditioning protein pack - Palmer's Coconut Oil Formula. Maybe I should pull out the hard core stuff - Aphogee?

As for the colorist, I haven't spoken to her again. I really don't trust her since she was the one who messed up the color even after I went back for a correction.

The poster behind me may know more about corrective color. I'm not familiar with clear rinses.

But I know I have used what I thought was protein after coloring which did absolutely nothing for my hair but make it feel hard.

I would recommend trying at least the Aphogee if you have had success with it in the past. The ION may fall somewhere in between the Aphogee 2 min and the 2 step. You leave it on 8 to 10 minutes. I then DCd for an hour after that.

I understand about not wanting to go back to the colorist. Sorry you had this misfortune. Definitely don't cut yet. If my hair can get back on track, I know yours can too.

What you could also do is get a cellophane that matched the desired color you attempted to have to "correct" the color that way. Then go back to the clear as mentioned.

My concern is that you mentioned already going back to the colorist for a correction. I'm a licensed cosmetologist, and the only formal color corrections are when the current color is stripped from you hair and a new color is added, which means your hair is double processed. Is that what this colorist did in such a short time? :ohwell:

From there I would get roller sets so that your ends could have time to nourish themselves, so to speak. Also, when you have dry hair, the natural oils from your scalp have a better chance of penetrating your strands.

[USER=3243 said:
Browndilocks[/USER];17939015]What you could also do is get a cellophane that matched the desired color you attempted to have to "correct" the color that way. Then go back to the clear as mentioned.

My concern is that you mentioned already going back to the colorist for a correction. I'm a licensed cosmetologist, and the only formal color corrections are when the current color is stripped from you hair and a new color is added, which means your hair is double processed. Is that what this colorist did in such a short time? :ohwell:

From there I would get roller sets so that your ends could have time to nourish themselves, so to speak. Also, when you have dry hair, the natural oils from your scalp have a better chance of penetrating your strands.

Would you explain this a little more. Are rollersets recommended just to stay away from the heat or is there another reason? Just trying to understand a little bit more.

faithVA

I personally believe that more often than not, a little heat is necessary, especially when conditioning. I'm a long haired chick and the vast majority of my clients are long haired chicks so I know what generally works. There is more than 1 way to skin a cat, but my #1 method for when you are trying to gain and/or retain some length is roller setting, hands down.

Roller setting does 3 important things. First it smooths the roots down for better control, second it smooths the hair shaft to fight porosity, and third it strengthens your ends. By your ends being rolled up, they are automatically protected while drying, thus automatically sealed. The heat while sitting under the dryer stimulates natural oil production in your scalp. Over time, your hair is stronger against the elements, resulting in fewer trims and when you do trim, less hair needing to be cut = longer hair.

Last edited:
faithVA

I personally believe that more often than not, a little heat is necessary, especially when conditioning. I'm a long haired chick and the vast majority of my clients are long haired chicks so I know what generally works. There is more than 1 way to skin a cat, but my #1 method for when you are trying to gain and/or retain some length is roller setting, hands down.

Rollet setting does 3 important things. First it smooths the roots down for better control, second it smooths the hair shaft to fight porosity, and third it strengthens your ends. By your ends being rolled up, they are automatically protected while drying, thus automatically sealed. The heat while sitting under the dryer stimulates natural oil production in your scalp. Over time, your hair is stronger against the elements, resulting in fewer trims and when you do trim, less hair needing to be cut = longer hair.

Thank You. Can I get an appointment for Friday at 4? :lol:

What you could also do is get a cellophane that matched the desired color you attempted to have to "correct" the color that way. Then go back to the clear as mentioned.

Browndilocks I believe she lifted my hair (under a steamer?), then dyed it, and when I returned to her because the color was still off, she darkened it with a toner.

Thank you so much for your advice! I'm going to try your suggestions regarding the cellophane and roller setting. Should I still use the Roux Porosity Control or hold off on that until well after the cellophane treatment?

you just need to deep condition, and sometimes you may need an additional service to get the color you want. your hair is fine. lightening/bleaching will have an effect on your texture to a degree. i don't think you have any damage. you just need to deep conditioner. try a light protein, followed by a moisturizing one. you will be fine.

I've never had color damage cause i dont dye my hair. if i were you i would do a heavy protein treatment since all the bleaching/ hair dying must have stripped your hair of quite a bit of protein. you may also want to look at getting a deep conditioner with ceramides in it to use after the protein treatment.

Back