High PH and Split Ends/breakage? Deep 2 inch Trim...

♦K.O♦

This is a long post, but I just want to know HOW my hair's PH could, out of nowhere, get so high? I havent had a relaxer in several months. Other than the phyto organics, I have NOT tried anything new. Any answers/guesses?

For those who want to read my drama:

My hair has been giving me problems this past week. The only new products that I introduced to my routine were Phyto Organics Theratin Shampoo and Phyto Organics Enphuse conditioner. I am NOT a PJ, but I purchased these products because JC Penney was having that .88 sale and I heard that Theratin and Enphuse were equivalent to Therappee and Keraphix (both of which I love.)

After washing with the new phyto organics stuff, I was semi-pleased with my hair. I'll never purchase those two products again, but they didnt suck. Okay, so the first day after washing, my hair felt fine. By day two, my hair felt abnormally dry. Day three I had breakage (which was odd, because I had dusted my ends the week before and they were in EXCELLENT condition.) On the 4th day, I washed with my beloved KC Hydrating and Detangling Shampoo and DC'd with my equally beloved ORS Replenishing conditioner. My hair was pretty tangled afterward, which was odd.

ffwd to today, I look and my ends are ALL chewed up again. I started searching and destroying, but it was just too much. My hair was so matted that I just wanted to cry. So I wash with the KC again. My hair felt nicer, but there was still so much tangling. I took a spray bottle with ACV and water and started tearing through the tangles. :nono: I realized something had to give, so after the tangles were all out, I cut 2 inches (sorry waistlength summer of '08 challengers. lol. I think that I was supposed to run that by all of you. :lachen:)

My hair feels shorter (duh!), but much nicer. If I have to cut again anytime soon, I am gonna go crazy or bald. When I sprayed the ACV and the tangles just fell out, I knew that the cause of my issues had to be an open cuticle... THUS, a high PH.

I just want to know HOW my hair's PH could, out of nowhere, get so high? I havent had a relaxer in several months and other than the phyto organics, I have NOT tried anything new. Any answers/guesses?

Okay, I will take a stab at it. I don't think it was your porosity per say. This what I think happened. I think you slightly over did the protein and since I know ors has silicones, I think the combo of a little too much protein and a little silicone buildup made your hair tangly and hard to manage. I think the acv helped because it helped remove some of the excess residue.

Hmmm. I didn't think of that. All of those splits threw me off and I slipped up. :ohwell: Well, now I'm deep conditioning with Humecto, so at least I got that one right.

Hmmm. I didn't think of that. All of those splits threw me off and I slipped up. :ohwell: Well, now I'm deep conditioning with Humecto, so at least I got that one right.

Well, the splits might have been a problem in the making and this was just the straw that broke the camels back.

I agree with gymfreak but also check your comb. The so-called seamless combs I was using were tearing my hair up and causing splits.

Now I use only Mason Pearson combs and I don't have that problem.

I agree with gymfreak but also check your comb. The so-called seamless combs I was using were tearing my hair up and causing splits.

You know what....you are right. Many "seamless" combs are not so seamless. I am just going to invest in a set of real bone combs and call it a day. Where did you find your mason pearsons

You know what....you are right. Many "seamless" combs are not so seamless. I am just going to invest in a set of real bone combs and call it a day. Where did you find your mason pearsons

Ain't that the truth. I used to highly recommend Cricket "seamless" combs for several years on this board. One day I really got a close look at the comb because my hair was getting caught on it all of the time -- lo and behold, the dang on comb had seams ... not at noticeable as many of the combs out here but they were definitely there. :wallbash:

Then my sis, Gelati, told me about the Mason Pearson combs and how great they were on her hair. I bought my first two at rubber-ducky.com. Then I just found a store in my area that carries them (Crabtree & Evelyn) and I bought a couple more. They are the best investment that I have made on my hair thus far. They are very very durable and will last me forever.

No conditioning in the world is going to help preserve our ends if we are using the wrong combs.

Ain't that the truth. I used to highly recommend Cricket "seamless" combs for several years on this board. One day I really got a close look at the comb because my hair was getting caught on it all of the time -- lo and behold, the dang on comb had seams ... not at noticeable as many of the combs out here but they were definitely there. :wallbash:

Then my sis, Gelati, told me about the Mason Pearson combs and how great they were on her hair. I bought my first two at rubber-ducky.com. Then I just found a store in my area that carries them (Crabtree & Evelyn) and I bought a couple more. They are the best investment that I have made on my hair thus far. They are very very durable and will last me forever.

No conditioning in the world is going to help preserve our ends if we are using the wrong combs.
You got that right. I figure its worth it to invest in things you can use for YEARS to come. I am going to get 1 set of good ones.

Thanks for the responses, ladies.

The combs that I use are seamless. A few years ago, I dumped out the last of my seamed combs. Those things will definitely destroy a head of hair.

The Mason Pearson combs are a bargin at twice the price. Until I purchased them (from Rubber Duck too), I had problems with breakage. Now, not at all.

Moisture, mild protein, and Mason Pearson combs - a major part of my recipe for no breakage.

This is a long post, but I just want to know HOW my hair's PH could, out of nowhere, get so high? I havent had a relaxer in several months. Other than the phyto organics, I have NOT tried anything new. Any answers/guesses?

My hair has been giving me problems this past week. The only new products that I introduced to my routine were Phyto Organics Theratin Shampoo and Phyto Organics Enphuse conditioner. I am NOT a PJ, but I purchased these products because JC Penney was having that .88 sale and I heard that Theratin and Enphuse were equivalent to Therappee and Keraphix (both of which I love.)

After washing with the new phyto organics stuff, I was semi-pleased with my hair. I'll never purchase those two products again, but they didnt suck. Okay, so the first day after washing, my hair felt fine. By day two, my hair felt abnormally dry. Day three I had breakage (which was odd, because I had dusted my ends the week before and they were in EXCELLENT condition.) On the 4th day, I washed with my beloved KC Hydrating and Detangling Shampoo and DC'd with my equally beloved ORS Replenishing conditioner. My hair was pretty tangled afterward, which was odd.

ffwd to today, I look and my ends are ALL chewed up again. I started searching and destroying, but it was just too much. My hair was so matted that I just wanted to cry. So I wash with the KC again. My hair felt nicer, but there was still so much tangling. I took a spray bottle with ACV and water and started tearing through the tangles. :nono: I realized something had to give, so after the tangles were all out, I cut 2 inches (sorry waistlength summer of '08 challengers. lol. I think that I was supposed to run that by all of you. :lachen:)

My hair feels shorter (duh!), but much nicer. If I have to cut again anytime soon, I am gonna go crazy or bald. When I sprayed the ACV and the tangles just fell out, I knew that the cause of my issues had to be an open cuticle... THUS, a high PH.

I just want to know HOW my hair's PH could, out of nowhere, get so high? I havent had a relaxer in several months and other than the phyto organics, I have NOT tried anything new. Any answers/guesses?

I am definitely not a hair expert so I can't comment on how your hair pH could possibly change but I did have a similar experience with the Phyto Organics products. I happened upon one of those JC Penney sales and purchased the Phyto Organics products after hearing some good things about them from other ladies on the boards.

After I used the shampoo and put the conditioner in my wet hair it felt pretty good so I thought that I had found some great products for my hair. As I washed the conditioner out however, I started to notice my hair feeling a little stiff. I proceeded to air dry my hair and noticed that the texture felt different. The next day I noticed that my hair felt like a big bail of hay! My hair has NEVER felt that horrible. I tried to oil my scalp thinking that it would help but it didn't. When I tried to comb through my hair, it starting shedding terribly. I immediately returned the products after one use and I will NEVER use them again.

I am not saying that the products are the source of your problems because a lot of LHCF women have had success with them but they did not work at all for me!

I am definitely not a hair expert so I can't comment on how your hair pH could possibly change but I did have a similar experience with the Phyto Organics products. I happened upon one of those JC Penney sales and purchased the Phyto Organics products after hearing some good things about them from other ladies on the boards.

After I used the shampoo and put the conditioner in my wet hair it felt pretty good so I thought that I had found some great products for my hair. As I washed the conditioner out however, I started to notice my hair feeling a little stiff. I proceeded to air dry my hair and noticed that the texture felt different. The next day I noticed that my hair felt like a big bail of hay! My hair has NEVER felt that horrible. I tried to oil my scalp thinking that it would help but it didn't. When I tried to comb through my hair, it starting shedding terribly. I immediately returned the products after one use and I will NEVER use them again.

I am not saying that the products are the source of your problems because a lot of LHCF women have had success with them but they did not work at all for me!

:blush: Your experience sounds just like my own. WOW. I wonder if it was the phyto organics. Either way, I am not using that stuff again.

Bad Girl!:badgirl::nono2::spank::whipped:....trying to make you feel guilty. :grin:

Cosigning on the Mason Pearson combs. They are great.

Back