Hi Newbie here :D

MixedBabie

Hi all my name is Christina and im biracial: black/latina. I've always had tons of problems with my hair and due to some family issues i grew up with my spanish family and never got to meet any of my black relatives. so i had no one to turn to that could understand my hair probs. So anyways im really excited to have joined this site and hopefully will get some great advice! :D

So on to my problem:

Basically i think im naturally a 2c but i did thermal reconditioning about 2 yrs ago and my hair is pretty straight towards the ends and the top layer is pretty straight-ish but the roots and the underlying layer of my hair are very wavy. Since my hair is very thick it just looks very poofy in the front and on the sides if i dont add heat. So ive been straightening my hair with a flat iron on a pretty regular basis (like twice a week), but i never blow dry my hair. However my hair has been breaking off alot lately. I used to have very long hair (MBL to near WL) and then after a few bad haircuts im back to APL in the back and SL in the front.

So im just wondering is there anyone that could tell me how to reduce the bulkiness/ poofiness of my hair without straightening? I tried doing a wet rollerset by myself but it turned out horrible im pretty sure i did it wrong tho :/ I also tried a chemical perm twice in the past with very bad results.

Me before thermal reconditioning (My hair isnt usually that curly i had added some product to make my waves more defined)

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y231/exotica185/christinaa.jpg

Me now 2 yrs after thermal (hair naturally dried with the top layer pinned up so you can see the wavy middle section of my hair)

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y231/exotica185/IMG_3971.jpg

Last edited:
Welcome! I'm a 4a/4b so I don't know if my hair and yours would take the same stuff but I'm sure some of the 2c/3a/3b's are gonna chime in soon

Welcome ! I completely understand not having anyone to turn to for hair problems, even though my mom is black, she has 2a type hair and couldn't do anything with my 3c hair.

Well I
don't have the same
hair type as you
but I heard
kinkycurly/ms.jessie's work really
well in curly hair..
but welcome!

Welcome!

I think your problem is pretty simple actually. :yep:

After you wash and condition your hair, add a light leave in conditioner or a detangling spray and make sure your hair is thoroughly detangled - you should be able to use a wide tooth comb like the jilbere (sally's or CVS) pretty easily. Separate your hair into sections (more tangles = more sections) to detangle so you don't break any hair.

Once you're detangled, smooth your hair into a low pony. Tie a silk or satin scarf over your damp hair (make it tight enough to flatten, but not tight enough for a headache). If you don't want a dent in your hair, you can take out the pony at that time and pin your hair up loosely.

Go to bed, or sit under a hooded dryer

Once dry, your hair should be pretty flat - it will still be wavy, but not so poofy. This trick works on every hair type. :yep:

If you find your hair difficult to detangle, try doing it in the shower under the water. You can gently comb out your hair while rinsing out your conditioner. The force of the water helps melt out the tangles. Good Luck!

Back