Hi Ladies, I'm new

CurlyGirl1996

Hi, everyone, I'm basically new to LHCF. I signed up last year, but just paid last month. I am attempting to go natural...but it's not going well. My hair is so dry and very tangled.
I look forward to hearing your suggestions.

Welcome!

I suggest you apply your DC in small sections and make sure your new growth is saturated. Also, puttin a penetrating oil on before you apply the DC will help soften your hair and make detangling easier. I suggest coconut oil.

Oh and keep your new growth from shrinking up, that will help ease the tangles a bit.

Hi Toyia,

Welcome aboard. Here's two books that may help with you transitioning:
"No Lye" by Tulani Kinard and "Going Natural" by Mireille Liong-A-Kong. They have good info on how to manage your hair while growing out your perm. It's been 4 months since my last perm and my new growth is pretty thick right now. Like Msa said it helps to use lots of deep conditioners and leave-in conditioners to make your hair easier to comb through. When I wash my hair I part it into two sections and wash and condition one side at a time. My hair's shoulder length with a few inches of new growth (I'm cutting off my relaxed ends a little bit at a time. I'm not BRAVE enough to chop it all off!) washing it in sections seems easier to avoid tangling. It takes a while at first but it does go faster as you get used to the process. I hope this helps.

Thank you all for your warm welcome and suggestions. I can't wait to put them to use. I downloaded a picture but it is not showing...so how does that work?

I'm excited and have so many questions, but i won't ask them all @ one time.:grin:

Toyia, welcome. My little suggestion is for you to avoid regular shampoos for a while, you need lots of moisture right now; use oils as a pre-soak conditioner for about an hour, rinse out well then a leave-in conditioner such as SUAVE OR VO5 CONDITIONER COCONUT for another hour. Rinse very well, at least 5 minutes then apply detangler of your choice. Gently comb out from tips to roots. No magic so be patient, it'll take some weeks to really have the effect. Keep your hair braided or twisted during the day. Make sure you use a moisturizing leave in and lightly seal with an oil.Spritz with glycerine/water often during the day. Patience, care and more patience.

Welcome to the board officially. :)

There are a number of things you can try to help dryness. I recommend wetting your hair every other day or every two days (not necessarily washing or co-washing--misting it with plain water will do). Then using a good leave-in conditioner and sealing that moisture in with a good oil rubbed over your strands afterwards.

For a moisturizer I recommend Africa's Best Liquid Hair Mayo and for an oil I recommend virgin coconut oil. Good luck to you on your natural journey.

Last edited:
^^ agree about wetting the hair. I normally dont cowash every single day unless I have a vigorous workout but I run my head under the water or spray it with some water and put a little bit of leave in conditioner (miss jessies) seal with some coconut, jojoba or olive oil.

U will find a ton of information on here!!! Good luck

Welcome lady!! I suggest that you moisturize moisturize moisturize!!! That will really help with your tangles. Use quality products when moisutrizing too. The baggy challenge is helpign me with my tangles,so check that out too!

Hi and welcome,
Im texlaxed now, but i was relaxed and then went natural for a while and then texlaxed, i know too much going on, but through it all ive learned so much from the ladies her at lhcf. Transitioning needs alot of patience and you need to baby you relaxed ends and newgrowth. I reccomend pro pooing with olive oil every time you do a wash. Also co washing, with Sauve Humetanct, that stuff is the ish and its cheap. Protective styles are your friends. try bunning, phony ponies, sewn in are good, just take care of your hair that's underneath. Also you can try wearing wigs and cornrow you hair underneath so that if you are using growth aids or cowashing its easier for you. You will reach your goal before you know it. if you have anymore questions just as me or the ladies of lhcf and we will be happy to help you. Good luck

Welcome lady! Hope you enjoy! These ladies have given you great advice for your transition. I can't think of anything else to add right now.

Welcome aboard!!!:yep:

The ladies have given you great advice. I would just like to emphasize what has already been said about DCing in sections. In fact, doing every in sections (especially as a natural) makes a big difference. When I didn't use to wash & condition in sections, I noticed that certain parts of my hair would always be dry. I later realized that it was because some parts of my hair weren't being touched at all.

You can also try DC-ing on dry hair. That really helps the moisture to soak in more. Also, you might want to try a leave-in. They really help w/ moisture.

It's amazing how something so simple escaped my normal common sense. I never really thought about this when I was natural or texlaxed. See that's why I love LHCF.

Hey and welcome, co-signing with what has been said about the deep conditioning. That has been a life saver when i was natural and relaxed also using a good leave in conditioner.

I'm now in between cathy howse creme condish, s-curl and isoplus 24'7 leave in.

HHG!

Back