hi i'm new!

obsessed

hi i\'m new!

hello ladies
notworthy.gif

i'm new to this site and i am very curious. well i'm 16 years old who wants to achieve about 6 healthy inches in 2 years. i have long layers and i am trying to grow them out so that when i get it to the length that i want i can cut it all to be even amongst the bottom of my bra strap. my hair is currently about 3 inches past the bottom of my neck (i'll double check). my problem is split ends. everytime i gain length i usually have to cut of my split ends which in return leaves me at this length. how can i prevent this from happening? while i was reading some posts i discovered 'drawstring ponytails'. what is that and can i use it? thank u very much for helping me out. :-)

Re: hi i\'m new!

Hi and welcome.
Can you post some more info like what type of products you are using and how often? That way someone here can help you out. A draw string ponytail are just what it says...a ponytail that has a drawstring attached to the end that you pull to tighten it after you attach it to your own hair. I don't wear one...but several ladies do and may be able to give more info on using one.

well i do not have 'set products' that i use. i usually go to a dominican salon once a week for a wash and set and a garlic treatment. i'm not to keen on doing my own wash and sets at home. i tried a couple of times but i just ended up blow drying it which dry up my ends to the point where i have 2 get a trim. i recently began taking ultranourishair, biotin, and hair, skin, and nails by gnc. i usually wrap my hair but if not i just opt for rollers. i'm not sure on what products to use because i don't really notice differences that they make on my hair.

Welcome obsessed!

If you really want your hair to stop splitting, I say wear protective styles for a little while. Try to wear buns french twist, etc. Wrapping and heat won't help at all. I'm natural, but when I was relaxed protective styles helped alot. If you must wear your hair down then keep your ends moisturized. The BEST products I have used that keeps my hair from splitting is from the profective line. The mega growth is it. This stuff works wonders. Use it according to the instructions and your hair will stop breaking, after a while, you will accumulate growth. I just have a few questions about your routine:

Do you use a protein treatment on a regular basis? By that I mean every 6 wks or so? Do you deep condition on a wkly basis? Do you oil your ends nightly? By the way what are you using on your hair right now?
scratchchin.gif

no i dont use a protein treatment at all. i was using it b4 when i used to go to a haitian salon but it was weighing my hair down and it didn't do a difference. i deep condition my hair every week usually a garlic treatment which i use to stop breakage or i switch to just a regular conditioner 2 deep condition. i'm not to sure of what products to use because when i step into a beauty supply store i'm overwhelmed with products for breakage, or growth, or moisturizing, or whatever. i oil my ends with mizani rose h20. currently i use affirm no-lye relaxer. rite now i want to use that new garnier fructis shampoo and conditioner. i heard that works wonders. well that's about it!

Welcome to LHCF Obsessed!

Are you covering your hair at night with some type of silk/satin covering? I see you get your hair done at the salon. Is your stylist making sure not to pull the relaxer through all of your hair? A few stylist will do this on occasion and it's not a good thing. Another question, are you having a leave-in conditioner put on your hair post shampooing and conditioning at the salon or even at home?
There are so many things that might be helpful (combing techniques etc.), but in order to give good advice you might need to post your full regime done at the salon as well as your at home care routine.

Welcome
wave.gif

Nacai is right about the protectiv styles, moisturising the ends and keeping them off clothing that causes friction and damage to your hair ends. I'd say keep away from bandanas, cotton pillowcases and scarves and switch those up with satin or a doo rag for bed time.

k here we go:

-john frieda relax shampoo and conditioner
-garlic treatment (whatever it is the dominican salon uses)
-2 days b4 i get a wash and set i use infusium's leave in conditioner the maximum body one
-to mositurize my hair i use mizani's rose h20

-600mcg of biotin
-along with the 'hair, skin, and nails' vitamins and 'ultranourishair'

so this is what i call "my regime"

i just want to say thank u so much for everyone's help and advice. im really eager to try out these techniques.

obsessed, try a sample of the garnier fructis before you buy it...they can be very drying on 4A hair, especially the shampoo which has SLS in it. Good luck!

thanx everyone 4 all the love. but i have a question. besides moisturizing my ends to prevent split ends is there anything else because i like to wear my hair down which i know is a big 'no no'.

Okay, you have type four hair... Fragile. You have a relaxer on top of that...Very Fragile. The relaxer breaks down your protein bonds, so a protein treatment is a must after ANY chemical treatment. You need to do a protein treatment. Protein treatments stop breakage and shedding. I don't know what they used on your hair in that salon, but alot of ladies would agree with me when I say that not all stylist know what they are doing. You should clarify your hair from time to time to rid it of product build up. The aphogee protein treatment lasts for 6 wks/until your next chemical treatment. At least try the aphogee. If your not going to do it after a chemical treatment, first clarify your hair with a clarifing shampoo. Then apply the protein treatment. YOu MUST, MUST, MUST, follow the protein treatment with a deep moisturizing conditioner. I'm not talking about garnier frutis. The one I use is Le Kair cholestoral. I mix some extra virgin olive oil in it and leave it on my hair for an hour. rinse it out. YOur hair shouldn't be weighed down. After clarifing and strengthing, your hair should be bouncy and strong. So try this if you want to wear your hair down. At least it will be strong enough to withstand the friction and the elements. I can't believe they're not doing this in the salon.
shocked.gif
I have a feeling that this will work for you.

Nacai23.....Can you use your tecnique on natural hair? Your routine sounds wonderful...

Yes, I use this routine on my hair... my hair is natural. It's simple and it works. I do my clarifing and protein treatments on the first weekend of the month. For the rest of the month, weekly I shampoo with Cream of nature and deep condition with Le Kair. I rinse my hair whenever it needs it. Sometimes I use conditioner when I rinse. Oil my hair and scalp with olive oil. If my ends need more moisture, I use elasta qp mango butter. I'm about to switch to pure shea butter soon. I keep my hair in twists 99% of the time...

[ QUOTE ]
k here we go:

-john frieda relax shampoo and conditioner
-garlic treatment (whatever it is the dominican salon uses)
-2 days b4 i get a wash and set i use infusium's leave in conditioner the maximum body one
-to mositurize my hair i use mizani's rose h20

-600mcg of biotin
-along with the 'hair, skin, and nails' vitamins and 'ultranourishair'

so this is what i call "my regime"

[/ QUOTE ]

Mizani H2O: If this doesn't seem to be helping your end I would change to some thing that I have seen the other members have posted: Mango butter, Healthy ends, infusium with olive oil, etc. As often as hair requires to stay soft...this might need to be done on a daily bases.

Weekly wash and set 2 days b4 salon Infusium 23...How are you maintaining your Hair style during the week? Are you using a satin/silk covering for your hair at bedtime? Do you rollset your hair at home?...are you using any heat?... The 2days b4 salon...what do after using the Infusium? Is this when you do your wrap your hair? If not what do you do?

Back