Hi, I'm new and have no idea where to start!

pixel

Hi, I\'m new and have no idea where to start!

Hi everybody! I've been lurking for a couple of days in hope of getting an idea of where to begin looking for help, but I have absolutely no clue! I have a really dire case of information overload!
grin.gif

I have been natural and a member of NaturallyCurly.com for 2 years, searching for products and tips for my 3c/4a curls. Well now I have found my staple products and need tips and encouragement for growing my 7 inches to new lengths! Where should I begin?

Thanks in advance and I look forward to getting to know all of you!

Re: Hi, I\'m new and have no idea where to start!

Hi and welcome pixel,
wave.gif

Well I would start by doing a search on things you really want to know about, then if the answers aren't there ask away, the ladies here are very helpful.
Now what are you doing to your hair now in terms of shampooing/conditioning, oiling, hot oil, etc. and how often, braids, pressing, natural curls, are you taking any vitamins?
Excuse me for getting all in your business but we like to know so we can help.
hth
smile.gif

Pixel,

Big Warm Welcome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Maybe one place to start is by simply identifying any problem areas you are currently having. Do not feel overwhelmed by all the information.

What hair products have you been using and enjoying so much ? I'm really glad to read that comment because so many people have initial problems finding good products for their hair. However, I know the ladies at NC do comprehensive reviews
grin.gif

How long would you like to grow your hair? [Had to ask
smile.gif
]

Please enjoy your time at the site. There are many great people here
cool.gif

Much cheer to you,

Jade

Thanks for the warm welcome!

Lucia, I am taking preNatal vitamins simply because I have a newborn and am nursing. However, I have no idea what's in them!
shocked.gif

I hardly ever shampoo for fear of drying it out. The only time I shampoo is when a new product causes buildup - if I remain true to my staple products I never get buildup and therefore never shampoo. Is this a bad thing?
confused.gif
I don't ever oil my hair either. I use Kenra Moisturizing Conditioner daily in the shower and follow up with Pantene Daily Moisture Renewal Conditioner as a leave-in. Then I apply a nickel size amount of Aura Cacia Curl Enhancing Gel on top. It's been giving me nice curls for awhile now with no buildup. I deep condition about twice a month with K-Pak Reconstructor. I am open to any advice/criticism with my routine!
cool.gif

I only wear my hair curly. I have never done braids or twistouts. I wear it down during the day and in a low loose pony puff at night.

Jade, I would love to grow my hair to about 4 times its current length - about 28 inches - I just randomly picked a number - 28 sounds good
grin.gif

Thanks again for the warm welcome!

Hi, Pixel! I sometimes frequent naturally.com.
Welcome!

Hi Pixel,
I would suggest that you shampoo your hair every 1-2 weeks if it's not braided b/c your scalp needs to be relatively clean for hairgrowth.
Find out what's in your prenatals, they're ususally very good and compare them with hairvit's but don't switch until your done nursing.
And if your not already doing this wear your hair in protective styles, ends tucked in or under and oil/moisterize them before they go up. At night wear ascarf or a soft cap to protect your hair.
here's a link: check out the practical guide to hair
this website is inactive so don't order anything.
http://web.archive.org/web/20001207043100/wanakee.com/index.htm
hth
smile.gif

Thanks for all the warm welcomes! I am so excited to be here! All of your photos look sooooo beautiful.

I can't give you advice cause I have'nt been natural for a loonng time, but wanted to say.

<font color="blue"> WELCOME </font>
wave.gif
I'm sure the natural ladies here will get you on track...

Welcome! I am new too! All of the ladies I have met here are very friendly and nice
cool.gif

welcome, pixel! it sounds like you've got your routine down. now comes the hardest part... waiting! JOIN THE CLUB!
laugh.gif

adrienne

Lucia, Thanks for the advice.

What shampoo do you guys recommend - I am afraid of stripping my hair
shocked.gif
? Also, what moisturizer to you suggest that I use on my ends. I don't want my hair to be too oily.

Thanks!

Pixel,

Your curls are beautiful
smile.gif
I am very envious of women with beautiful curls...just gorgeous!

I'm also loving the fact that you would like to really grow out your hair...that is awesome!

With your shampoo schedule, yes, I agree with Lucia...a bit more often. Kenra shampoo for dry hair was too much for me, plus it made my scalp itch, but I know a lot of women at NC like it a lot..very moisturizing. Another which is mild and moisturizing is the Cream of Nature line....either the red/beige or green/beige bottle and I think they have another which is the herbal formula. I like the red/beige formula for nomal hair myself. Very gentle, highly conditioning/detangling, but not greasy hair or scalp. Check some of the threads here for shampoos...you can always just post for recommendations or do a search.

With your ends, don't feel like you have to oil them unless you need to do so. I use a tiny bit of jojoba oil on my ends twice weekly...that's plenty. Maybe in view of the products you use, you might prefer something like a cream or dab of a pomade rather than an oil. That's up to you
grin.gif

I'm very glad you joined the site and I look forward to your posts
grin.gif
grin.gif

Waves to you,

Jade

Jade,
Thanks so much for the compliments! Since my last post, I have actually shampooed (I used Pantene 2-in-1, although I will consider Creme of Nature next time - my mom used to use that on my hair when I was a little girl) and added Olive Oil to my routine. As a matter of fact, I am going to start a thread about the Olive Oil to see if any other natural heads have tried it - it worked wonders for my hair this morning! My curls are moist, separated and shiny - really nice if I must say so myself!

Thanks again!

Hi Pixel,

I wasn't sure if that was you in the avatar, but your hair is absolutely beautiful! Love those curls.
smile.gif

Hi Pixel!!
Im fairly new here myself, so I totally can relate to how you are feeling: INFO OVERLOAD!!!
Just try and pace yourself and ask plenty of questions!
Just curious to know, have you every tried a conditioner only wash? I SWEAR by this!!! It made my hair go from dry and frizzy to moisturized and soft...You might like it!
Now, it does take your hair and scalp some time to get used to it...but it is soooo worth it!

just wanted to say welcome! you have beautiful curls girl! I can just imagine what they're going to look like when you grow more length!

WELCOME TO THE BOARD, PIXEL!!
wave.gif

You have beautiful hair!
smile.gif

I hear ya... When I first started, I was PJ'ing like nobody's business. I can only say pace yourself and establish what you want for your hair. TMI can cause confusion, but eventually you'll find out for yourself what works for your hair type and lifestyle and you'll soon be telling a newbie the same thing....

**TMI = too much info!

Thanks again for all the compliments!!! You guys are really good for a curly girl's ego!!
drunk.gif

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
LavenderDutchess said:
Just curious to know, have you every tried a conditioner only wash? I SWEAR by this!!! It made my hair go from dry and frizzy to moisturized and soft...You might like it!
Now, it does take your hair and scalp some time to get used to it...but it is soooo worth it!

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, I do this everyday in the shower with Kenra Moisturizing. It really has made a big difference in my hair too! I only use shampoo when I have buildup, or when I do a deep treatment.

Back