Hi everyone, I'm new here... tell me about beeswax.

fwilliams

Ok, this is going to sound really bad... I was looking for a way to flat iron my hair and would not revert. I put beeswax on my roots and my hair was bone straight. It didn't revert AT ALL for at least a week. It was like I had a relaxer. I was scared to leave it in the straight style longer than that because I was afraid my hair would dry out.

My question is, what is so bad about beeswax? Thanks in advance for your replies..

beeswax is intense... its wayyyyyyy tooo think for use other than braids or locs or something.

I know, I melted it down and I mainly put it on my roots, but very little...I never reapplied it throughout the week and it wasn't a big hastle to wash out. I sat under the drier with olive oil on my hair and it seemed fine. I don't think I would do this too often, because I felt bad ( I didn't know why I felt like I was doing my hair some injustice)...that's why I asked LHCF. It just made my hair so straight and it seemed like my hair was protected from the heat of the flat iron. Maybe if I mix a little beeswax with shea butter and use that as a pressing cream?

i don't use products with beeswax anymore. I found out that CD healthy hair butter was clogging my hair follices and the residue took a month to get out(I wash 1-2x weekly)of my hair. it contains beeswax. this happened while i was transtioning to natural. people with locs rarely use it anymore cause water gets trapped in the hair with the beeswax and makes it mildew.

I only use beeswax when I'm close to my wash day and need a quck fix for my edges. As long as you throughly clarify after using it I don't think it would be a problem,I would just try and shy away from daily use.

My mum was using beewax for her scalp (she has locs) and she was going bald in the middle. I kept telling her to stop using it as it was blocking her follices. At first she would listen but after while i got her to wash her scalp well and use oil or a spray based moisturiser and her hair started growing back by the day. I think it's way too heavy on the scalp. I don't know it's effects on the hair but whilst she was using it she complained that her hair was dry and brittle.

I only use beeswax when I'm close to my wash day and need a quck fix for my edges. As long as you throughly clarify after using it I don't think it would be a problem,I would just try and shy away from daily use.

Right, I would NEVER use it daily as I only use heat on my hair maybe once a month and I only wear it straight for about a week and the only time I applied the beeswax was when I was flat ironing. It made my roots bone straight :grin:, with hardly no retention. I didn't have a problem rinsing it out either because I guess the olive oil softened it.

Beeswax tends to dry my hair out over time. Even if I make sure my hair is moisturized before I use a product with it, I tend to get this dull, ashy look to my hair and it doesn't feel soft. I always have to clarify after I use it in order to restore softness and shine. I hate clarifying, so I shy away from products with beeswax now.

Speaking of, I just saw an Argan Oil Shampoo Bar on Henna Sooq that I was looking at VERY hard, but it contains beeswax so I decided against it. I'm not sure how well it would cleanse with that addition, but I may have to revisit it in the future. Maybe order a sample because I looove my argan oil :)

Beeswax tends to dry my hair out over time. Even if I make sure my hair is moisturized before I use a product with it, I tend to get this dull, ashy look to my hair and it doesn't feel soft. I always have to clarify after I use it in order to restore softness and shine. I hate clarifying, so I shy away from products with beeswax now.

Speaking of, I just saw an Argan Oil Shampoo Bar on Henna Sooq that I was looking at VERY hard, but it contains beeswax so I decided against it. I'm not sure how well it would cleanse with that addition, but I may have to revisit it in the future. Maybe order a sample because I looove my argan oil :)

What is argan oil?

What is argan oil?
Argan oil originates in Morocco and is high in vitamin E and essential fatty acids. Its great for moisturizing and penetrating the hair shaft - a little goes a long way and it leaves my hair light and without that heavy weighed down feeling I get with a lot of oils. A lot of ladies have been getting good results from using it before blowdrying/flat ironing, mixing it in their DCs, etc.

I've used it in almost every way possible and it has been my number one hair staple ever since. I started off with the One and Only Argan Oil Serum from Sally's and loved it so much I upgraded to the pure/organic argan oil. The shine that comes off of my hair when I use it is amazing and it helps prevent reversion when I straighten. Literally one drop and my hair is completely soft and smooth and straight. I cant say enough about it. My BF even notices when I haven't added it. Even he sees and feels the difference in my hair. And you can use it to moisturize your skin too.

Here are a couple links that came up when I searched the threads, and a link to more information from From Nature With Love, which is where I purchase from... HTH :)

http://www.fromnaturewithlove.com/product.asp?product_id=OOILARGANV&searchflag=1
http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=406106
http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=432678

I agree I really love argan oil too. Its like liquid gold on your hair. I like the fact that it doesn't look greasy because I put a lot more of it on my daughter's hair and it tames her frizzies and makes brushing out her hair so much easier.

Hi only came in here to say welcome, the only thing I can tell you about beeswax is that my hair hates it, which probably isn't much use to you, sorry

Back