Hey Look What At MY New "Do"!

MrsHdrLe

As I was stalking and drooling Mwedzi's Fotki (again), I realized that I wanted to wear a PS that stretches, requires no heat, and of course protects. I am not comfortable with my twists and braid-outs yet (they also cause me a lot of knots and tangles). This style is inspired by her gorgeous banded pony. Tell me what you think.
protective stretch all.jpg

protective stretch all (2).jpg

protective stretch all (4).jpg

Here's how I did it:
It's really easy, after washing/co-washing and detangling, moisturize and assemble about 4-6 mini/small claw clips. My hair is pretty thick, so I needed two small clips to pull back my hair (like a half up style). Then I just continued to add clips until I got to the nape and then began banding the rest. What's really key for me is to add moisture as I secure each section and slather on more at the ends. I used a Goody hair pin (like this

clip close up.jpg) to secure the very end (flat and protected).

Any one else care to share their hair stretching PS?:yep:

IDK what to think. Does 300 views and 2 responses mean my "do" is a "DON'T"? Yikes! :perplexed
Keep it real for a sista. Don't let me run around looking a mess:blush:

angie1985, i think your hairstyle looks great. Maybe try using smaller bands down the length as the scrunchies look a bit heavy.

Your hair is so thick and lush. I'm wondering how you get it that straight/smooth without heat.

IDK what to think. Does 300 views and 2 responses mean my "do" is a "DON'T"? Yikes! :perplexed
Keep it real for a sista. Don't let me run around looking a mess:blush:

lol. IDK. I'm no style guru at all, but maybe smaller bands? And smaller clips/flat clips (if your hair will allow it?)

I guess what I am imagining is something like this:

hair+clips.jpg

for the up top part

and then something smaller and neater for the banded part, of course something seamless that won't snag your hair.
Goody+Ouchless+Hair+Elastics.jpg

But Idk, maybe other people have better suggestions for accessories, I'm not big on them myself :rolleyes:

I think it's a creative look though, and a very good idea. I can't wait to try it when my hair gets longer and I'm brave enough to flat iron:drunk:

I like it except the scrunchies, Do you have ouchless bands?

I do somethin similar on curly hair. But where you ahve your pony, I do a bun there and I use small claws.

Aw, it's not a don't. PS no matter what erry lhcfer thinks, if YOU dig it, that's what matters.

It isn't a hot mess angie...lol!!! It just kind of reminds me of a do that my mom used to send me out to school with. I think it's it cute, but I do like Whimsy's suggestion.

Thanks ladies for helping me out. I basically worked with what I had on hand, but perhaps it's time to venture down to the bs (but I don't know where a good one is in my neighborhood yet).

angie1985, i think your hairstyle looks great. Maybe try using smaller bands down the length as the scrunchies look a bit heavy.

Thanks. The scrunchies look heavy perhaps, but they aren't and my hair is rather thick when not heat straightened. I'm trying alternatives to heat and it takes HOURS to dry for a roller set, so I got tired of running out of time after washing and needed something that looked pulled together but that will stretch out my hair while drying.:ohwell:

Your hair is so thick and lush. I'm wondering how you get it that straight/smooth without heat.
I'm lightly texlaxed (7-10 minute processed). That particular day I wore a wng to my Mom's house then put it in a bun and followed up with this this morning. (would you believe my roots STILL weren't completely dry?:wallbash::wallbash:

lol. IDK. I'm no style guru at all, but maybe smaller bands? And smaller clips/flat clips (if your hair will allow it?)?

I actually thought these clips are what made this style unique (not to mention, flatter clips don't hold so well on my unheat-straightened hair) These were the sizes that worked for me and I think the coverage of the scrunchies is "protective". Would smaller bands expose more hair and cause breakage?

I guess what I am imagining is something like this: I used these on the very end (that's the only place those things would clamp down on.)

hair+clips.jpg

for the up top part

and then something smaller and neater for the banded part, of course something seamless that won't snag your hair.
Goody+Ouchless+Hair+Elastics.jpg

But Idk, maybe other people have better suggestions for accessories, I'm not big on them myself :rolleyes:

I think it's a creative look though, and a very good idea. I can't wait to try it when my hair gets longer and I'm brave enough to flat iron:drunk:
Your hair will be there before you know it, but I think this style (or variations of it) could work on sl hair as well.:yep:
Thanks for the suggestions though. I really appreciate your help.

I like it except the scrunchies, Do you have ouchless bands?

I do somethin similar on curly hair. But where you ahve your pony, I do a bun there and I use small claws.
Pics please? I love your hair:lick:

Aw, it's not a don't. PS no matter what erry lhcfer thinks, if YOU dig it, that's what matters.
Thanks. I do like it, but I ordered that pony twisty thing today also (btw, don't buy it from the web site, their s&h charges are RIDICULOUS, try one of their suggested retailers/websites instead.

It isn't a hot mess angie...lol!!! It just kind of reminds me of a do that my mom used to send me out to school with. I think it's it cute, but I do like Whimsy's suggestion.
LOL, now that you mention it, I guess it isn't very glam. It's more of a "puttering about look" (grocery store, gym, couch surfing,....):look:

I'm lightly texlaxed (7-10 minute processed). That particular day I wore a wng to my Mom's house then put it in a bun and followed up with this this morning. (would you believe my roots STILL weren't completely dry?:wallbash::wallbash:
How long does it take your hair to fully dry when you band it?

I think it's cute...anything to jazz up a plain jane ponytail...and your hair is lovely!!!

Back