Henna & Tex-Lax

Thiends

I want to henna my hair for the pretty red color and for the strengthening that I have heard it lends to hair strands. I have, however, about 2 inches of new growth. I have heard that henna can make it hard for commercial dyes to 'take'; does it also make it hard for a relaxer to take? I am on a six month stretch, so I plan to tex-lax my hair in two months.

Thanks.

I have not had a problem with my hair taking to a relaxer even though I use henna/indigo.

You may want to PM IDARETsHAIR as I believe that she hennas before her touch ups.

My hair is extremely coarse. Most of my hair is bone straight with about 4 inches of tex-laxed hair at the root.

How red do you want it? I would try honey first, just do several dc of just honey or a heavy amount of honey and some heat. Honey naturally lightens your hair and moisturizes so maybe it will get to a color you like or a texture you feel comfortable using henna on. I don't think henna has the same effect on dyed hair as relaxed so you should be ok anyway.

I used henna for the first time in July, for color and conditioning, on about a 15 week stretch. I texlaxed at 19 weeks.

The color was great. I used a henna/buxus mix to get a cinnamon color on my grays. It also gave a nice warm reddish brown glow to my hair in the sunlight.

I have to say, at first I wasn't impressed, but over time (the 4 weeks until I texlaxed) my hair got softer! It was truly amazing.

When I texlaxed I didn't have any issues at all. I would definitely henna a few weeks prior to texlaxing for the conditioning. hth!

Last edited:
Back