Henna on gray hair? Anyone know if it will work?

Aquamarine

Hi there!
Hi everyone. I was wondering if anyone knew if henna can be used on a head of dark (off black naturally) hair with a few grays creeping in. I was going to use a traditional box color, such as Dark and Lovely or Clairol, but I'd like to try a more natural approach.

Also, does anyone know if neutral henna will work to cover gray or is it just for conditioning purposes ?

Aquamarine, I use henna every 5-6 weeks or so to cover my grey hairs. It works wonders. Soft, shiny, strong hair.
I have used Lush's henna called "Caca Rouge" (bright red) and "Caca Marron" (chestnut). Both came out fine, but the first one was a little too red for my taste. The grey hairs really stand out, they turn bright copper. It is just the look I was aiming for when I used to color with semi-permanent dyes - a highlighting effect.
Lush's hennas are pure, natural. The different colors are achieved by mixing henna with ground coffee, roots etc. There are many good brands out there, just remember to look for something purely natural without metallic dyes.

The grey hairs will be covered completely and it lasts forever.

The only downside is, that if you don't like the henna and want to go back to regular dyes, it's very likely that your hair will turn green (at least that's what I've read). So once you start using henna, you have to be committed to natural hair colors for a long time. I know I'll never go back.

[ QUOTE ]
Aquamarine, I use henna every 5-6 weeks or so to cover my grey hairs. It works wonders. Soft, shiny, strong hair.
I have used Lush's henna called "Caca Rouge" (bright red) and "Caca Marron" (chestnut). Both came out fine, but the first one was a little too red for my taste. The grey hairs really stand out, they turn bright copper. It is just the look I was aiming for when I used to color with semi-permanent dyes - a highlighting effect.
Lush's hennas are pure, natural. The different colors are achieved by mixing henna with ground coffee, roots etc. There are many good brands out there, just remember to look for something purely natural without metallic dyes.

The grey hairs will be covered completely and it lasts forever.

The only downside is, that if you don't like the henna and want to go back to regular dyes, it's very likely that your hair will turn green (at least that's what I've read). So once you start using henna, you have to be committed to natural hair colors for a long time. I know I'll never go back.

[/ QUOTE ]

FlowerHair, where do you purchase Henna and is is hard to apply. When you say it lasts forever do you mean that the grey never returns? Just thought I'd ask. My mom is always looking for ways to dye her grey and the rinse that she uses usually washes out after a couple of weeks. TIA.

Aquamarine, you are welcome.

Angel54, I don't live in the US, so I buy my henna in a store here in Stockholm. But Lush is online, try lush.com.
Otherwise I think you can find pure and mixed henna in health food stores. At least that's where I can buy it here.

It is a bit harder to apply than regular hair color. Imagine putting a whole heap of hot mud onto your hair /images/graemlins/smile.gif
and leaving it on for several hours. In my case the grey has not returned, but of course as new hair grows it is grey and I have to re-color. Here are some good hair sites about henna.
www.hennaforhair.com and www.hennapage.com and a German girl that knows a lot about henna: www.haarkram.e-something.de/start.html

Back