Henna is driving me crazy.....

kim

I have been trying to do a black rinse on my hair and it will not take. The first time I used Adore in the off black. The second time I used Clairol Beautiful collection in black, and still nothing happened. Well this time it is a little darker, but I can still see the red-brown in my hair from the henna. I use the Jamilla henna so assumed I could use a rinse too. Any suggestions??? I guess I will have to wait until the henna grows out. I even done a aphogee two step treatment today and I am not sure if it worked.

Last edited:
I used indigo using the 2 step method to get my hair black. I had amazing shine and everything. See my fotki for my method of application. Do you have any indigo you can use? I realized that with my APL length hair, I had to use 2 and a half boxes to get really good coverage. It is very hard to apply beause it doesn't behave well like my henna glosses, but the results are amazing.

I do have a couple of rinses I plan to use once my indigo is finished because I really don't like applying it. So, as far as any assistance with the rinses, I am so sorry I can't give you an answer for that just yet.

I have been trying to do a black rinse on my hair and it will not take. The first time I used Adore in the off black. The second time I used Clairol Beautiful collection in black, and still nothing happened. Well this time it is a little darker, but I can still see the red-brown in my hair from the henna. I use the Jamilla henna so assumed I could use a rinse too. Any suggestions??? I guess I will have to wait until the henna grows out. I even done a aphogee two step treatment today and I am not sure if it worked.

I'm not 100% on this, but I thought after you henna you can't apply commercial colors?

Anyway, if you're trying to get a darker black color, you're suppose to henna first, rinse, and then indigo. At least that's how I believe it works. I've done it and my hair turned out almost blue black. I can't wait to do it again next month.

I'm not 100% on this, but I thought after you henna you can't apply commercial colors?

Anyway, if you're trying to get a darker black color, you're suppose to henna first, rinse, and then indigo. At least that's how I believe it works. I've done it and my hair turned out almost blue black. I can't wait to do it again next month.

This would be correct if Kim had used non-body art quality henna but she didn't. The henna she used was perfectly safe to be used with rinses. Rinses are safe enough to be applied weekly if necessary also but the rinses have to be free of ammonias and peroxides.

Kim, I decided to color my hair tonight with some KISS blue black semi-permanent rinse tonight just to see if there was gonna be a difference in how my hair responds compared to yours. I'll keep you posted.

Kim, I decided to color my hair tonight with some KISS blue black semi-permanent rinse tonight just to see if there was gonna be a difference in how my hair responds compared to yours. I'll keep you posted.

Thanks for the replies! Aggie, keep me posted on how your hair turns out. I forgot to mention that I have not used henna in my hair for about 3 months(maybe a little longer). I have never used indigo, I plan on giving up on henna. I'm just not getting the benefits from it that everyone else seems to be getting.

Thanks for the replies! Aggie, keep me posted on how your hair turns out. I forgot to mention that I have not used henna in my hair for about 3 months(maybe a little longer). I have never used indigo, I plan on giving up on henna. I'm just not getting the benefits from it that everyone else seems to be getting.

Keep in mind as well, that you can't rely on color rinses to give you good coverage, ESPECIALLY over something that grabs a real tight hold of the hair shaft like henna.

You're best bet is to, (like others mentioned) is to use indigo to darken it out and bring it closer to black.

I'm back with the update Kim. I colored my hair last night with the KISS semi permanent blue black as planned and this brand is fierce. I got some of it on my skin and I was ticked off because it just does not come off easily at all. Now as for my hair color - also fierce and really dark. The instructions said to keep it on for 25 minutes without heat, well I kept it on for 40 minutes with a plastic cap on and without heat.

Deep conditioning is a must after using this. It made my hair feel a little dry last night. I got up this morning, washed and dc'ed again because I wanted to further remove the color from off the edges of my skin. It worked. I must say though that I prefer the jazzing brand over this one. I think it's more conditioning than the KISS.

ETA: I'm sorry you're not getting the great results of using henna because it is really thickening and strengthening my hair. I don't really use it for the coloring effects but for the conditioning power of it. I wanted to try the indigo for the color and I really like how well it darkens my hair but heck it is just too hard to work with without being mix in the henna.

Last edited:
Glad you liked your hair. I do get some benefits from the henna, especially the color. I just started getting alot of shedding, and I assumed it was from the henna. I used the aphogee two step treatment and I do see a difference, the shedding has stopped. So I think I am going to back off of the henna and stick with the aphogee. My color looks better this time around.

Back