Henna Help?

Aireen

HI EVERYONE! :)

I've been pretty bored with my hair lately and since I plan to go no where near boxed dye, I've decided to try henna. The brand I bought is Colora Henna Creme — not the pure stuff but better than what they sell at the drugstore. I've looked into some threads through the search but I'm still pretty confused since some of the topics said that henna can conflict with certain relaxers. I'm interested in any superior knowledge or information you can provide me; previous threads, answers to my questions, personal experience, etc. My hairdresser uses Optimum if that helps and the ingredients in the henna I bought are listed below the questions. I basically just want strong hair with a subtle colour withOUT the dryness.
You don't have to answer all the questions but if you can that will be GREAT! :D Thanks in advance!

Questions
:

- Has anyone used this particular brand (Colora Henna Creme) with successful results on RELAXED hair?

- Are the ingredients listed below harmful and will conflict with my Optimum relaxer?
Will my hair melt off?! :crying3:

- Since the instructions included in my package are very vague, will I need to rinse out this henna with conditioner? It doesn't state that I have to but I just figured I'd ask for good measure.

- If 'yes' for the question above, will Aubrey Organics White Camellia Ultra-Smoothing Condtioner or Yes To Cucumbers Color Care Conditioner be good to rinse out my henna? I didn't really buy any watery, cheapie conditioners such as, VO5 or Suave due to my ignorance.

- Again, if 'yes' to the two previous questions (or if you just feel like answering this), how many conditioner rinses do you complete to fully rinse out the henna?

- Will Aubrey Organics White Camellia help combat any dryness I might experience later on?

- How often do you henna and does it eliminate the need for protein treatments?

- I blowdry my hair after every wash, will that be a problem for hair that has been freshly coloured with henna?

Ingredients:

Water, Henna Extract, Hydroxyethylcellulose, Cocoamphopropinate, Dowicil 200

May also contain:

Solvent black 5, disperse blue, basic violet 14, basic yellow 15

Last edited:
Ingredients:

Water, Henna Extract, Hydroxyethylcellulose, Cocoamphopropinate, Dowicil 200

May also contain:

Solvent black 5, disperse blue, basic violet 14, basic yellow 15
[/FONT]

I personally wouldn't touch it. You should really check out your local indian grocer for henna. Worst case, purchase online. I like Karishma, other popular ones are Jamila, Reshma (name brands) then you can go to hennasooq.com and purchase her henna too.

I personally wouldn't touch it. You should really check out your local indian grocer for henna. Worst case, purchase online. I like Karishma, other popular ones are Jamila, Reshma (name brands) then you can go to hennasooq.com and purchase her henna too.

I got this at my local Indian health food store. I was thinking of purchasing online but it was right there so I figured I'd pick it up along with my supplements, skin care, and conditioner.

That sucks! They didn't have any other brands? I'd honestly hold out for something better. I just would hate to see you have a set back babe!

I have heard that you should only use body art henna on processed hair. I'm not sure what kind yours is but that's what I've heard.
I think you'd be better off buying online just to be safe since using regular henna supposedly results in crucial damage that you'll have to cut off.
I think hennaforhair.com has some body grade henna.

That sucks! They didn't have any other brands? I'd honestly hold out for something better. I just would hate to see you have a set back babe!

Hmmm yeah, I would really hate for my progress to just go down the drain. :(

I have heard that you should only use body art henna on processed hair. I'm not sure what kind yours is but that's what I've heard.
I think you'd be better off buying online just to be safe since using regular henna supposedly results in crucial damage that you'll have to cut off.
I think hennaforhair.com has some body grade henna.

Oh that site, thanks! I'll check out what they have if I don't use this, which I probably won't. Sigh, I don't think my health food store accepts refunds though...

There's only been one review of this brand on this website and that doesn't make me feel positive to use it at ALL.

I also recommend pure henna. I have no knowledge of the brand you mentioned but from the ingredients it looks like temp black hair dye with a little henna water in it (not enough to color anything). Temp hair dyes aren't known to be harmful when used with relaxers in fact I think Optimum has a relax and color your hair on the same day kit - the color is temp and actually can wash out the same day too (if you have resistant hair). But if you're looking for a conditioning effect or durable hair color it looks to me like you won't get either from colora. Are there any Indian, Middle Eastern, North African, or Health food markets in your area? If there is your best bet is to walk in, ask do they have pure henna and if yes, tell them what you want to do with your hair - don't just randomly pick it off the shelf. They should know what you're talking about and advise you on which to buy. It won't cost you more than a few dollars for a packet that can last you quite a while.

I also recommend pure henna. I have no knowledge of the brand you mentioned but from the ingredients it looks like temp black hair dye with a little henna water in it (not enough to color anything). Temp hair dyes aren't known to be harmful when used with relaxers in fact I think Optimum has a relax and color your hair on the same day kit - the color is temp and actually can wash out the same day too (if you have resistant hair). But if you're looking for a conditioning effect or durable hair color it looks to me like you won't get either from colora. Are there any Indian, Middle Eastern, North African, or Health food markets in your area? If there is your best bet is to walk in, ask do they have pure henna and if yes, tell them what you want to do with your hair - don't just randomly pick it off the shelf. They should know what you're talking about and advise you on which to buy. It won't cost you more than a few dollars for a packet that can last you quite a while.

I actually did get this from a Indian health food store. :o I see what you're saying though, I'll have better luck with the powder.

I personally haven't used the brand you purchased, but the ingredients make me nervous. I would stick with one of the more-reviewed brands mentioned. I've used Karishma and Nupur 9 Blend - both with excellent results and only slight differences. Karishma gives a great burgundy tint and rinses out easily, while Nupur 9 releases dye faster, rinses out easily, and gives a darker, almost chocolate tint plus great conditioning due to the added hibiscus and aloe vera.

If you're interested in strong hair with just a subtle color, you can do a henna gloss by mixing a henna powder with conditioner and leaving that on for a couple of hours (as opposed to packing your hair with the henna mud-like paste and leaving it on longer for more dye release). Just be sure to deep condition afterwards and I've read where others said a protein treatment was still necessary eventually though less frequently. Good luck with whatever you decide!

Last edited:
I haven't used my henna yet, but I made sure that I bought body art quality henna, it costs more but I'm not able to have set back...

Back