Henna Help!!!

trendsetta25

Hey Ladies,
I'm in need of some quick help here. I just bought a box of henna from an indian store around my way. The directions read:

-Soak henna in hot water for minimum of 3 hrs. preferably in iron container
-Part the hair in small sections and apply the paste
-Keep in for minimum of 1-hrs. If using as conditioner and 3 hrs (yes it reads and 3 hrs...WTF?). If deeper tint is required
-Rinse off throughly and wash with henna shampoo
-You may add whipped egg to the pack for extra body.

Ok my questions are
1. Do i take the henna out of the plastic pack and soak in hot water? if so, how much water should i add?
2. If the henna is hot, how do i add eggs to it? wouldnt the whipped eggs cook and become scrambled eggs???
3. What does step #3 ^^^^ mean???

I add lemon juice to my henna, and let it sit out for 24 hours before putting it on my hair. Acidity is what helps bring out the most dye from the henna. If you're not interested in the red-orange dye, using hot water will suffice.

I just did henna a few days ago and left it on for 8 hours. That's right - 8! After applying the henna, I baggy my entire head (you can use saran wrap too) and then use an old T-shirt as a head wrap. This way I'm not dripping messy henna everywhere, and I can still run down the street to the store if need be.

I've never heard of adding an egg to henna... that seems like a lot of protein. Um... I guess you'd add it after the water cools? :look:

I suggest mixing your henna powder (remove from plastic bag) with green tea instead of lemon juice because lemon juice can be drying. Green tea is also acidic but not drying. I have also read that henna will release the dye on its own if mixed with water without adding acidity.

Add enough green tea so that the paste is a mashed taters-yogurt consistency. No measuring required. I have never done the iron bowl thing. .I use a glass bowl and plastic spoon to mix.

I always leave mine on for at least 4 hours because I want my grays colored. Henna won't 'lighten' or lift dark hair but will make grays or blond hair bright red. Dark hairs remain dark but have a beautiful deep auburn tint that can be seen in sunlight.

I wouldn't add an egg to it. Henna acts as protein (but it isn't one) by strengthening your hair strands. I have read that it thickens the strands.

After henna-ing do a good DC (many prefer to DC with heat).

I mix my henna with green tea & let it sit covered with plastic wrap for 8 hrs or so. Then I apply it to just clarified hair (Kenra chelating shampoo then use a light cheapie conditioner rinse). Cover head with a plastic disposable shower cap then wrap a towel over that. I have to throw another towel around my neck because I get drippies. Leave it in for 4 hrs minimum. Rinse out with conditioner a BUNCHHH of times (no shampoo for at least 2 days) and DC for as long as I'm able.

An excellent resource is the free henna e-book on www.mehandi.com.

so henna is only used for coloring your hair...not as a treatment to your hair?

It's like a strengthening "protein" treatment. The color is just an added bonus. :grin:

If you are looking to color, the dye releases better/stronger with something acidic. If mixed with hot water, some dye will still release of course. So if you're going for dye, the more acidic the better. Hence why I use lemon juice, and just counter it with honey and condition a lot after rinsing the henna out. Otherwise, if just going for strengthening you can use something less acidic (like tea, wine or vinegar), or just hot water.

Last edited:
You need to read that free book from www.mehandi.com and do more research. Henna is not something to play around with and you're asking for a setback if you don't know what you're doing.

thanks guys...i think im going to throw it out..i only paid $1.99 for it...i will do my research first and then buy it again....i surely dont need any setbacks:nono::nono::nono:

Hi,
I always add an egg to my mix. I mix the egg first with the henna powder, then add the hot water, mix it till it starts to get smooth and then add coconut oil, and Suave conditioner untill I get the consistency I am looking for. I let it sit anywhere from an hour to several hours and then add to my hair.
I do use shampoo to rinse and then several hours of moisturizing conditioner. It seems to work for me this way....HTH

Uhm, yeah..I wouldn't suggest mixing your henna with hot water. Just mix it with lukewarm water. Add the water slowly and mix, then add more and mix until the henna is a pudding like consistency. Not to watery, or it will be hard to apply. And not to thick or it will not stick properly to the hair. I wouldn't suggest mixing eggs with henna either because henna is very drying by itself, and the protein in the eggs may cause your hair to become even drier. Yes, you should leave henna on for about 3 hours if you want conditioning effects. Just do something else while you're hennaing, or sleep (put a towel on the pillow, though!).
This is what I do with henna and I have hennaed mine and others hair with a lot of success:
1. Mix your henna with water the night before. Oil your hair and scalp the night before and put a plastic cap on.
2. Do not rinse out your hair. Mix the henna with a spoon briefly (at this point your should see a brownish tint to the tops of the henna). Apply it to your hair in sections and double plastic cap your hair. Let it sit for 3-6 hours.
3. Rinse out in shower. Co wash with an entire bottle of VO5 Vanilla Mint Tea, or Blackberry Sage Tea (any vo5 without any protein whatsoever).
4. Hop out of the shower and deep condition your hair for an hour.
5. Hop back in the shower, rinse out the deep conditioner, shampoo once with a mild shampoo, then rinse your hair with a quick conditioner (comb at this point).

This method has proven awesome for me and my SO. Your hair will be dry once you initially rinse it out, but once you put the vo5 on your hair it'll be very soft. Oh and btw you have to slather your hair with the conditioner, massaging it a little to get the powder out.
Also, the night after you mix your henna, you can add oils (amla, coconut, brahmi, mustard seed, avocado) or powders (amla, brahmi, kalpi tone) to your henna.

1. Do i take the henna out of the plastic pack and soak in hot water? if so, how much water should i add? yes. until the henna/water mix forms a thick paste (similar to clay)
2. If the henna is hot, how do i add eggs to it? wouldn't the whipped eggs cook and become scrambled eggs??? after letting the henna/water mixture cool down, you add in the whipped eggs.
3. What does step #3 ^^^^ mean???read step 3 like this:
If using as conditioner, keep in for minimum of 1-hr. and
If deeper tint is required, keep in for 3 hrs

its just bad grammar :)
all the best hun :D

p.s. im a henna head and i follow the henna reggie of curlynikki. here's a video :) http://www.curlynikki.com/2008/12/henna-pictorial.html

You need to read that free book from www.mehandi.com and do more research. Henna is not something to play around with and you're asking for a setback if you don't know what you're doing.

I totally agree! Henna is not something that I would just run somewhere and purchase, then put on my hair. I researched FOREVER before I actually took the plunge. You want to be fully aware of possible outcomes. I also strongly recommend doing a strand test before doing your whole head.

I totally agree! Henna is not something that I would just run somewhere and purchase, then put on my hair. I researched FOREVER before I actually took the plunge. You want to be fully aware of possible outcomes. I also strongly recommend doing a strand test before doing your whole head.

I agree as well. PLEASE visit the website. i fyou are having problems viewing the book i will email/pm it to you. Using henna as a "here say" item is nowhere NEAR healthy. It's not like some conditioner where it can be rinsed out with hot water and shampoo. Please don't take the lazy way out and do the research. IMO, reading the book is a pre-requisite.

You obviously have no idea what you are doing and that is not okay.

I think I researched henna for about a year before using it with great results. Please let us all know when you're done reading that manual that's online. It helped me so much. My hair looks great.

Back