Henna Hair Setback-Need Help!!

Ms Lala

Hey ladies,

I posted last week about my henna experience and you all gave me some great advice for rinsing it out etc... in the event I henna again. My hair still feels kind of weird. I washed it yesterday and it didn't feel so bad but today it is coarse and very tangly. (this thread describes my henna application http://www.longhaircareforum.com/ha...5-need-long-hair-henna-help-tangles-mess.html) It almost feels like the strands are coated w/something and sticking together. It is also more dry than usual. It kind of reminds me of how my hair is when my porosity is off but more extreme.I actually saw little broken hair today while I was styling and I never get that, this is sooooo not cool:crybaby:. It was atleast 25 broken strands, I have alot of hair so it's not noticeable but if that continues it will be a problem. It's a mini setback for now but I don't want it to turn into a major one.

My normal products are not working. :sad: I had my routine down prior to this but my hair is not responding. I just realized that both my moisturizer and DC have light proteins in them.My Taliah Waajid moisturizer has silk amino acid and the Silk Elements Treatment I've been using lately has hydrolyzed silk.
Do I need to stop using these? Does anyone have any recommendations for products or techniques?

Today I soaked my hair w/moisturizer and put it in some big twists to leave it alone. I layered oil and shea butter on top, that is the only thing that seems to help the strands stop sticking. Please help! :nono:

sorry so long

Sorry Ms Lala :(

I had a similar experience two times in the last year. The first time it was in 2009 when I tried bentonite clay. It left my hair feeling really dry in a weird way, and like you, nothing worked anymore. My hair just felt hard and dry, even when wet. Then it happened again when I tried Kenra Moisturizing conditioner in late September of 2010. Both of these effed my hair up and required chops.

I say just moisturize, moisturize and moisturize some more! Def lay off of all protein right now. If you need to, make your own moisturizer so you know it is protein free. Hopefully in 2 months it will wear off (that is how long it took my hair to bounce back). Good luck girly....and be careful with experiments in the future...I don't want nothing bad happening to that purty fro of yours :yep:

Last edited:
I would forgo the protein condishes and select something with a lot of moisture. Remember henna can act like a protein, so the correct follow up is moisture for life. If you have some of the Roux Porosity control, I would try that then follow up with my favorite moisturizing condish. I am currently in love with Joico K-Pak Intense Hydrator.

Sorry Ms Lala :(

I had a similar experience two times in the last year. The first time it was in 2009 when I tried bentonite clay. It left my hair feeling really dry in a weird way, and like you, nothing worked anymore. My hair just felt hard and dry, even when wet. Then it happened again when I tried Kenra Moisturizing conditioner in late September of 2010. Both of these effed my hair up and required chops.

I say just moisturize, moisturize and moisturize some more! Def lay off of all protein right now. If you need to, make your own moisturizer so you know it is protein free. Hopefully in 2 months it will wear off (that is how long it took my hair to bounce back). Good luck girly....and be careful with experiments in the future...I don't want nothing bad happening to that purty fro of yours :yep:
OMG- you had to chop?! I hope I don't have to. I did strand tests and everything but I should have payed more attention to how those sections responded to my moisturizer. I hope it doesn't take 2 months oh no, I'm going to keep my hair in twists until it's back right because combing my hair is hell right now.

I would forgo the protein condishes and select something with a lot of moisture. Remember henna can act like a protein, so the correct follow up is moisture for life. If you have some of the Roux Porosity control, I would try that then follow up with my favorite moisturizing condish. I am currently in love with Joico K-Pak Intense Hydrator.

I do have some porosity control. I just checked out the Joico Intense Hydrator and the ingredients online have keratin pretty high up on the list. I didn't realize so many of my products had mild proteins, I guess that 's why I wasn't having breakage issues (until now :sad:) I'm going to have to look for a new moisturizer. Will I ever be able to use my old products again? They used to work so well.

Last edited:
i would try Aussie moist or Bed head moisture maniac for moisture balance and be extra careful detangling. i had a crazy henna experience a couple years back. hth

I haven't had any problems with Joico yet...but I also rotate my products around so I don't use them extra frequently.

My point was mainly to select a moisture condish, whichever one works for you since not everyone's hair responses the same way to every product. If you can, I would even try steaming while doing a deep moisture condish to ensure the moisture is penetrating the shaft.

Ms. Lala,

I'm so sorry this has happened to you, and hope your hair returns to normal asap. Like the others have suggested, I would not use too much protein now. One of my favorite moisturizing conditioner is Kenra moisturizing conditioner ( I just wish it weren't so $$). Also, have you tried baggying? I have recently added this to my post-henna dry/winter hair if it feels or looks extra thirsty.

I overnight baggy my whole head with a little conditioner or nothing at all except a little oil or vaseline on the ends. When I wake up in the morning, my hair is super soft and moisturized.

Hey,

I'm a faithful henna-er...and after I rinse the henna out I use NO shampoo (co wash) and a heavy moisture condish. NO protein in my hair for at least a week after. I love TGI moisture maniac and V05 clarifying left cond. overnight with a plastic cap, when I needed extra protein the silk elements left my non henna hair hard so I imagine you may have a protein overload.... Good luck hun, let us know how it goes :)

ETA: I dont like the way oil feels after I henna...it seems to block the moisture...

Last edited:
I'm sorry this happened to you.

Maybe you could try shampooing then DC with a moisturizing conditioner?

Sorry to hear that ((HUG))
IA w/the ladies, no protein condishes for a little while. I also think the twists will aid in retaining much needed moisture right now. It's a good thing you know your hair.

When I first started doing Henna tx's in 2009, I had the same experience. The only thing that helped was to add EVOO, honey and a tsp of sea salt to my moisurizing DC that followed the tx. After multiple disappointing experiences, I decided to stop doing the tx's.

Last January, I wanted to use it up so I added Henna, some oils, and Amla powder to a condish and used as a cowash. I've been hooked ever since! I believe using Henna this way has contributed to maintaining the health of my hair. I even repurchased more Henna this year once I ran out.
HTH!

Ms Lala, I too am sorry this has happened. I wash and detangle before henna and co-wash after rinsing henna with HEHH or HETT. I am with the other's, cut out the protein conditioners. I check my DT for the least little bit of protein. I DT w/ AOHSR and mix with KBB Hair mask, leaving it in for 2 hrs minimum. Baggying after henna tx help tremendously also. HTH

^^^ Hi Ms Lala I suspect that you will just need to up your moisture treatments for a while until your moisture levels are back up. I would maybe consider DC'ing 2x a week for the next few weeks and seeing how your hair responds and it should get back to normal soon. Also you may want to use a pH balanced Leave in to close the cuticles and help with moisture retention.

Sorry to hear about this Ms. Lala, I agree with the others, just up the moisture dc's right now, and sometimes it takes more than 1 DC for my hair to feel back to normal. I also add raw honey not only to my henna mix but to the DC and that seems to help. Don't freak out too much I think a deep moisture DC or 2 should do the trick. Good Luck!

I went back to your original thread. Did you use the Reshma again? I've used Reshma in the past and personally, I don't like it too much. My first love is Karishma :love: though everyone has their preferences.

What did you end up using to co-wash the henna out of your head? You mentioned your moisturizer and DC, oils and henna..but no co-wash product. You def. need to add a co-wash to the mix.

Also, did you ever add any terps (lemon, AVC, coffe, tea, etc) to your henna to increase the color readiness?

I went back to your original thread. Did you use the Reshma again? I've used Reshma in the past and personally, I don't like it too much. My first love is Karishma :love: though everyone has their preferences.

What did you end up using to co-wash the henna out of your head? You mentioned your moisturizer and DC, oils and henna..but no co-wash product. You def. need to add a co-wash to the mix.

Also, did you ever add any terps (lemon, AVC, coffe, tea, etc) to your henna to increase the color readiness?

I didn't henna again. I just shampooed in hopes that it would get my hair back to normal. For my initial henn treatment I just used water because I was concerned about dryness.

Sorry to hear about this Ms. Lala, I agree with the others, just up the moisture dc's right now, and sometimes it takes more than 1 DC for my hair to feel back to normal. I also add raw honey not only to my henna mix but to the DC and that seems to help. Don't freak out too much I think a deep moisture DC or 2 should do the trick. Good Luck!

Thanks for the words, I needed to read that because that is exactly what I was doing.

i would try Aussie moist or Bed head moisture maniac for moisture balance and be extra careful detangling. i had a crazy henna experience a couple years back. hth

You are right. In getting the tangles I had to go really slowly. I've never had tangles like this.

I haven't had any problems with Joico yet...but I also rotate my products around so I don't use them extra frequently.

My point was mainly to select a moisture condish, whichever one works for you since not everyone's hair responses the same way to every product. If you can, I would even try steaming while doing a deep moisture condish to ensure the moisture is penetrating the shaft.

Thanks for the suggestion. I don't own a steamer. Do you think it would help if I get in a hot shower or sit under the dryer?

Hey,

I'm a faithful henna-er...and after I rinse the henna out I use NO shampoo (co wash) and a heavy moisture condish. NO protein in my hair for at least a week after. I love TGI moisture maniac and V05 clarifying left cond. overnight with a plastic cap, when I needed extra protein the silk elements left my non henna hair hard so I imagine you may have a protein overload.... Good luck hun, let us know how it goes :)

ETA: I dont like the way oil feels after I henna...it seems to block the moisture...

Oh no, silk elements usually leaves my hair so soft but I am convinced that this is where I went wrong. I should have used absolutely NO protein after the henna treatment. The DC plus the leave-in/moisturizer w/protein was just too much. I should have paid more attention to this.
The oils are the only thing making my hair feel better. I slather my hair with aloe and then used olive and shea on top. My strands aren't sticking together. I'm going to avoid messing w/my hair until I DC again midweek.

I'm sorry this happened to you.

Maybe you could try shampooing then DC with a moisturizing conditioner?
Thanks, I'm going to try shampooing again next week.

Sorry to hear that ((HUG))
IA w/the ladies, no protein condishes for a little while. I also think the twists will aid in retaining much needed moisture right now. It's a good thing you know your hair.

When I first started doing Henna tx's in 2009, I had the same experience. The only thing that helped was to add EVOO, honey and a tsp of sea salt to my moisurizing DC that followed the tx. After multiple disappointing experiences, I decided to stop doing the tx's.

Last January, I wanted to use it up so I added Henna, some oils, and Amla powder to a condish and used as a cowash. I've been hooked ever since! I believe using Henna this way has contributed to maintaining the health of my hair. I even repurchased more Henna this year once I ran out.
HTH!

Several people have suggsted oil and honey. I think I will try that. Also your idea of using it as a cowash sounds interesting. Did you leave it on at all or did you rinse it right out? Also did you get any color from it? I actually like the color results. I have like a hint of red in the sun. The twist are definitely helping w/moisture, my hair feels much better today.

Ms Lala, I too am sorry this has happened. I wash and detangle before henna and co-wash after rinsing henna with HEHH or HETT. I am with the other's, cut out the protein conditioners. I check my DT for the least little bit of protein. I DT w/ AOHSR and mix with KBB Hair mask, leaving it in for 2 hrs minimum. Baggying after henna tx help tremendously also. HTH

I just bought the AOHSR. I'm going to leave my hair alone other than moisturizing until Wed and then I will DC again.

^^^ Hi Ms Lala I suspect that you will just need to up your moisture treatments for a while until your moisture levels are back up. I would maybe consider DC'ing 2x a week for the next few weeks and seeing how your hair responds and it should get back to normal soon. Also you may want to use a pH balanced Leave in to close the cuticles and help with moisture retention.

That's what I'm thinking I'll do and I don't always use a leave in but my hair is feeling like it needs one since the henna treatment.

moisturize moisturize moisturize and lay off the protein. last time i used henna was my last cause it made my hair feel soooo nasty.

use the thickest conditioner you can find, i believe i used aubrey's honeysuckle rose or rose mosqueta and that helped afterwards. my hair did go back to normal but i was like NEVER AGAIN.

Thanks for the suggestion. I don't own a steamer. Do you think it would help if I get in a hot shower or sit under the dryer?

There are lots of alternative suggestions for towel steamers, etc. You can search the steaming challenge thread for a few suggestions. Some other ladies have found that doing an overnight DC yields similar results. If your hair can stand that, its just another option. Either way, use a moisture condish.

If you have the ingredients handy, you could try the Chicoro moisturizing pre-poo. Its a mix of aloe vera, oils and coconut oils.

I hope this helps.

MzLala, sorry this happened but you don't have to chop it can be fixed.
moisturize give your hair max moisture even a little more than you think you need, if you can steam even better.

I really have nothing to offer but I'm sorry about your mishap. I was just admiring your hair about a week ago. Stories like yours about henna is why I will not try it. Good luck!

I really have nothing to offer but I'm sorry about your mishap. I was just admiring your hair about a week ago. Stories like yours about henna is why I will not try it. Good luck!

Right!:yep: Especially bc my hair looks and behaves similar to MsLala's, I'm more afraid now. I was actually looking to try henna for increasing strand thickness but I don't know if its worth the hassle.

I've had a love-hate relationship with henna. I've used it off and on for years. At first, I would have horrible results from using henna. My hair would be extremely dry, I had alot of shedding and tangles. I finally figured out that it wasn't the henna it was me. First of all, I was using ACV in my mix or sometimes Lemon Juice. The problem was that I was using way too much in my mixture. And this is why my hair would be so dry. Then I wasn't using a good moisturizing conditioner as I washed my henna out and afterwards. Also, do not use anything with protein in it. I also used shampoos and conditioners with protein. And that also contributed to the hard dry hair. Make sure you moisturize, moisturize, moisturize.

moisturize moisturize moisturize and lay off the protein. last time i used henna was my last cause it made my hair feel soooo nasty.

use the thickest conditioner you can find, i believe i used aubrey's honeysuckle rose or rose mosqueta and that helped afterwards. my hair did go back to normal but i was like NEVER AGAIN.

Thanks girl!!! I have some hope knowing you hair got back to normal. I actually ended up buying AOHSR.

There are lots of alternative suggestions for towel steamers, etc. You can search the steaming challenge thread for a few suggestions. Some other ladies have found that doing an overnight DC yields similar results. If your hair can stand that, its just another option. Either way, use a moisture condish.

If you have the ingredients handy, you could try the Chicoro moisturizing pre-poo. Its a mix of aloe vera, oils and coconut oils.

I hope this helps.

Thanks for the ideas. I will check out the steaming options.

MzLala, sorry this happened but you don't have to chop it can be fixed.
moisturize give your hair max moisture even a little more than you think you need, if you can steam even better.

Thanks!!! I really don't want to cut it.

moisturize like crazy! I had the same problem with henna and just had to grow it out :look:

Oh know, your hair never felt "normal" again.

oil rinses with moisturizing conditioner
use warmed castor oil if possible

I didn't try oil rinsing, I have a ton of oils too. Maybe I'll DC and follow up w/an oil rinse.

Well I don't want to stop anyone else from trying it. I did a strand test and everything but I should have tested out my DC and moisturizer on it, that I did not.

Right!:yep: Especially bc my hair looks and behaves similar to MsLala's, I'm more afraid now. I was actually looking to try henna for increasing strand thickness but I don't know if its worth the hassle.

Maybe check out henna gloss info, if I do henna again I will try that instead.

I've had a love-hate relationship with henna. I've used it off and on for years. At first, I would have horrible results from using henna. My hair would be extremely dry, I had alot of shedding and tangles. I finally figured out that it wasn't the henna it was me. First of all, I was using ACV in my mix or sometimes Lemon Juice. The problem was that I was using way too much in my mixture. And this is why my hair would be so dry. Then I wasn't using a good moisturizing conditioner as I washed my henna out and afterwards. Also, do not use anything with protein in it. I also used shampoos and conditioners with protein. And that also contributed to the hard dry hair. Make sure you moisturize, moisturize, moisturize.

I feel you on the love hate- I really like some of the positive results I got. The color is great, my hair holds styles well, it is less frizzy.

I'm gonna start this week Ms. Lala.... planning to follow curly nikki's routine to the bone
have you checked her out?

Yeah I checked out her site as well. She henna's quite frequently , it's so time consuming I don't know how anybody henna's so much.

I love Henna and I do go through a stage of getting it back to some kind of normal. I find that after my first DC it really doesn't do much. My first wash and DC is the one that puts my hair back to normal. I also have to rinse rinse rinse it, I just feel like If I rinse anymore my hair my follow down the drain. :)

That wash after and the rest of the weeks to follow make the process worth it to me. The Indigo is really the harsh kicker. Makes my hair feel like Hay. I just rinse really well and use my WEN or Hair One to clean it and give it some slip.

June is my Next Henna :) I have spaced it out to every other month.

Back