Henna... H E L P, PLEASE!!!

Moroni

On Friday afternoon, I mixed henna, shikakai powder, EVOO, amla oil and conditioner, and applied it to hair that I had applied MTG to a couple of days earlier. I kept the henna on overnight, washed it out with CON, oil rinsed and DC'd w/heat with nexxus humectress mixed with castor oil for 1 hour. I applied the DC again, and applied heat for another hour, then I rollerset my hair with NTM silk touch and NTM serum, and used diluted Infusium 23 moisturology as a setting lotion.

I had so much breakage during the rollerset that it scared me. I figured that I needed even more moisture, and found the recipe for honey with conditioners. On Saturday, I used Suave coconut conditioner with raw honey and EVOO, and DC'd for about 2 hours with heat. The combout was heavenly, and I had much less breakage during the rollersetting, but I lost a lot more hair after it was dried.

I really want to use henna, because my hair felt stronger and the strands after are visibly thicker than the ones from before....exciting! Please suggest what preparations I need to make prior to my next henna, since I'm using the MTG. BTW, I have now replaced that MTG oil solution with Vatika and S Curl to the same concentration to prevent severe dryness. I think the petroleum distillates PLUS sulfur was hell on my NG.

Do you think I need to shampoo and DC with the honey mixture a day BEFORE the henna, or 2 to 3 co washes prior? Is it possible the breakage was from prior damage that just couldn't handle the henna? Has this happened to anyone before, and what did you do to recover? TIA for your replies.

Last edited:
Was this your first time using henna? It's good that you were able to fix some of breakage, but here are some suggestions that may prevent breakage in the future.

First, using henna on dirty or clean hair really doesn't make a difference (at least for me it doesn't).

Second, what are the benefits you are looking for when using henna? Color and conditioning? If you are looking for color, then this is what I would do. Using oils in your mixture can decrease the amount of color deposited into the hair. (Unless you are trying to decrease the amount of color, then I wouldn't use any oil in the mixture). I'm assumming that you left it on overnight to get the color, but that can be too much. Some people can handle doing that, but many cannot. Remember than henna is a protein, and it it can really dry out the hair. Two hours or less is suffice. Let the henna sit for 6-8 hours only with water and a very little bit of ACV (like 1/2 a teaspoon). You don't need too much of a terp for henna to release. Adding too much will only dry your hair out, and usually is unnecessary. This way, you can get both the color and you wouldn't have to leave it in your hair as long to do get it.

I understand many add a whole bunch of stuff to the mixture to offset the dryness henna can do to the hair, but I've always felt that trying to regain moisture after the henna treatment works best for my hair. I get the full benefits from the henna, and then do a moisture treatment to bring my moisture level back up. I always use a conditioner that would normally be too moisturizing for my hair. On normal wash days, NTM daily deep conditioner makes make hair really mushy and soft. But when I use NTM on henna days, it really helps my hair come back to normal levels of moisture.

What I would do for the mixture, is use only henna, warm water (hot water also decreases the amount of color you get) and a little ACV and let the mixture sit overnight. Add this mixture to your hair for no more than 2 hours. Wash it out with CON. Then I would clarify. (I do this to make sure all of the henna residue is out of my hair.) Then use can use CON again, or just go ahead and oil rinse, and DC'd w/heat with nexxus humectress mixed with castor oil, shikakai powder, EVOO and amla oil overnight.

Hey, thanks a LOT, Keisha. I'm using henna for the strengthening and thickening of the hair, I'm not concerned about the coloring aspect, yet. Although you usually henna over "dirty" hair (since we wash about twice a week, is it ever really dirty??? HA!), do you think the MTG had contributed to dryness already? Well, anyway, I'll just make sure MTG is not is my hair when I do my next henna.

OK, am I understanding you to say you'd use shampoo 3 times....CON, clarify, then CON again? or is the clarification with baking soda/water?

Hmm. Add Shikakai powder TO the conditioner, as well? So you'd apply it, use heat AND keep the DC in overnight? Thanks so much for your help! I'll definitely let you know how the next one turns out.

I've found that mixing oil with my henna tends to lead to unhappy/hard hair - not sure why, as my hair can handle oil, normally - and it's about the only time my post henna conditioner doesn't make my hair butter....

I'd suggest taking out the oil, adding the honey like the PP suggested & a HEALTHY bit of conditioner - half henna mix and half conditioner is about the max I'll use.

Good luck!

I found DC'g dry hair with moisturizing conditioner and heat before henna. Then putting henna on damp hair made a huge difference.

OK, am I understanding you to say you'd use shampoo 3 times....CON, clarify, then CON again?
:yep: Yup, this is what I do. I wouldn't dare try to use a clarifying shampoo to rinse out henna cuz that would be :wallbash::wallbash::wallbash:. So this is what I do:

1) I use moisturizing/detangling poo to wash out the henna.
2) Then when I feel like the henna is all gone, I go ahead and clarify once with clarifying poo, and check the suds outside to curtain to make sure they're white.
a) If they're white, follow up once with moisturizing poo
b) If they're pinkish, repeat steps 1 and 2
3) Shampoo with moisturizing/detangling poo
4) DC overnight
5) Oil rinse

I found DC'g dry hair with moisturizing conditioner and heat before henna. Then putting henna on damp hair made a huge difference.

ITA :yep:
I used this method and it was like i never henna'd No tangles..No hardness..No dryness at all!! .. all i added to the mix was hot water and amla powder

I've found that mixing oil with my henna tends to lead to unhappy/hard hair - not sure why, as my hair can handle oil, normally - and it's about the only time my post henna conditioner doesn't make my hair butter....

I'd suggest taking out the oil, adding the honey like the PP suggested & a HEALTHY bit of conditioner - half henna mix and half conditioner is about the max I'll use.

Good luck!

Thanks so much, Nappywomyn. I did notice that the consistency changed significantly when I added the oil. I can't wait to try it again.

I notice you and MissMaadam do this method. Do you rinse the DC out first, then henna, or do you put the henna on top of the conditioner after rinsing?

ITA :yep:
I used this method and it was like i never henna'd No tangles..No hardness..No dryness at all!! .. all i added to the mix was hot water and amla powder

MissMadaam, do you rinse your conditioner OUT first??? Thanks so much for replying, I appreciate it. As soon as I'm clear about how to do it, I'll try it again....I've got so much NG, I'm going to HAVE to get a relaxer before 8 weeks are up, and I wanted to have 2 henna treatments before relaxing again.

MissMadaam, do you rinse your conditioner OUT first??? Thanks so much for replying, I appreciate it. As soon as I'm clear about how to do it, I'll try it again....I've got so much NG, I'm going to HAVE to get a relaxer before 8 weeks are up, and I wanted to have 2 henna treatments before relaxing again.
Yes I rinse the conditioner out first and apply the henna .. amla .. or indigo to damp hair. Also I found that it can be due to the type of henna u use as well and how fresh it is. I have use BAQ henna from the local Indian stores and they left my hair a tangles matted dry mess. But Ive been using Jamila Henna from mehndiskinart cuz they had a big sale on it and my hair loves it. hennaforhair and hennasooq also have Jamila and other brands too. Ive heard ladies having good experiences with fnwl henna too. Im Jamila all the way now:yep:

Last edited:
MissMadaam, This is the one I used. Do you happen to know if this is any good? It also states that it can be used on hair, and it is apparently body art quality....What do you think? I hope it's fine, because I bought 5 boxes.

Attachments

• henna.jpg
    henna.jpg
    5.9 KB · Views: 5
It might be possible that the henna expired, its probably best to order henna off the internet as its packed fresh. OR it could also be that you left it on for too long. You say you left it overnight, I remember reading back awhile ago in the "Do Ya'll Henna?" post that some ladies wound up with breakage and attributed it to leaving it on too long. When I do my henna mix I leave it on for 2 hours, 3 maximum. Also, on days that I henna I don't pre-poo so I try to add a lot of moisturizing factors.

Specifically, my henna mix is Jamila henna, shikaki powder, amla powder, coconut milk and occassionally some CON condish. I use it for color though so I have a few other ingredients I put in there. Then I rinse, I DO NOT clarify, I shampoo, then I DC with a moisturizing deep conditioner, and then I condition and detangle in the shower.

I would probably do moisturizing treatments to try to reverse the effects, and don't do the henna treatments again until your hair starts to feel 'normal' again.

It might be possible that the henna expired, its probably best to order henna off the internet as its packed fresh. OR it could also be that you left it on for too long. You say you left it overnight, I remember reading back awhile ago in the "Do Ya'll Henna?" post that some ladies wound up with breakage and attributed it to leaving it on too long. When I do my henna mix I leave it on for 2 hours, 3 maximum. Also, on days that I henna I don't pre-poo so I try to add a lot of moisturizing factors.

Specifically, my henna mix is Jamila henna, shikaki powder, amla powder, coconut milk and occassionally some CON condish. I use it for color though so I have a few other ingredients I put in there. Then I rinse, I DO NOT clarify, I shampoo, then I DC with a moisturizing deep conditioner, and then I condition and detangle in the shower.

I would probably do moisturizing treatments to try to reverse the effects, and don't do the henna treatments again until your hair starts to feel 'normal' again.

Thanks so much SMC. I'm going to get my next relaxer on Friday, so I got only 1 henna treatment in beforehand. I've finally got the moisture back in my hair, and I've gotten some excellent suggestions. I'll post an update on the 16th when I do my next henna treatment. I appreciate your help! :grin:

MissMadaam, This is the one I used. Do you happen to know if this is any good? It also states that it can be used on hair, and it is apparently body art quality....What do you think? I hope it's fine, because I bought 5 boxes.

Ive used that like almost 8 months ago my first time doing henna ,from the indian store and remember that drying my hair out too and tangles ...
Like I said I believe alot of whats at the Indian stores are old/expired. Some may get lucky but all my experiences from getting it from the store wasnt good till I ordered online from a good sorce and got fresh henna:yep:

Back