Henna/Cassiavs Protein treatments

slender1

Ladies,

I noticed a few members who use Henna/Cassia also being fans of protein treatments. My question is since usint Henna/Cassia are you still using protein treatments or are you now substituting the Henna/Cassia?

TIA

I'm substituting. Whenever I did Aphogee or DRC-28, my hair would get super dry. So I had stopped protein altogether. The Henna/Indigo didn't dry me out.

I was wondering the same thing. I don't really see how henna treamtments could completely replace protein treatments though. I was under the impression that both add strength, but that henna strength is because it coats the outside of your strands and protein strength is because it repairs bonds on the inside of the hair strand...

Anyhow, I'm doing a henna treatment shortly after my next relaxer, but I usually do an Emergencee treatment two weeks after my touchup so I'm wondering when to do which. Has anyone had weird results while doing both too close to eachother?

I don't feel the need to do protein treatments on any regular basis, which is a good thing since my hair is protein sensitive. It has a tendency to react badly to products with protein in them. I use henna for more than one reason, but yes, if I think my hair needs strengthening, I will use henna instead of protein.

Does henna have protein in it?

…Just curious cuz I’d like to start incorporating henna into my weekly regime PLUS doing protein treat. every 6 weeks -and reconstructors in between

I think this is a very interesting question. I'd like to know too. My updated regimen includes doing a henna treatment a week after my relaxer but my relaxer has a mild protein step that is done right before I neutralize. I don't think this should be a problem if protein rebuilds the strands from the inside and then the henna should coat my hair a week later. Sounds like it should be a good comba as long as I deep condition and moisturize really good after both.

Cayenne0622 said:
I think this is a very interesting question. I'd like to know too. My updated regimen includes doing a henna treatment a week after my relaxer but my relaxer has a mild protein step that is done right before I neutralize. I don't think this should be a problem if protein rebuilds the strands from the inside and then the henna should coat my hair a week later. Sounds like it should be a good comba as long as I deep condition and moisturize really good after both.

I don't know for sure, but I was working with the same assumption Cayenne.... moisture after both should keep our hair in good shape. That moisture thing is serious!

HighlyFavored1 said:
so there is protein in henna?

I remember reading somewhere that henna is a plant protein. That's why it makes the hair soo strong!:)
I substitute henna for protein treatments!

Ladies,

Ive found the answer..I have used Cassia weekly for 2wks. Normally I would have used Emergencee or some other protein by now. However I wanted to see if Cassia could take the place.

My ends have begun to break:(

Now, I know that Cassia does not act as well as a protein. Yes it strengthens but the key is it strengthens from the outside. As someone else stated Protein strengthens from the inside.

Next experiment will be to see if Henna is more of a substitute for protein treatments..

slender1 said:
Ladies,

Ive found the answer..I have used Cassia weekly for 2wks. Normally I would have used Emergencee or some other protein by now. However I wanted to see if Cassia could take the place.

My ends have begun to break:(

Now, I know that Cassia does not act as well as a protein. Yes it strengthens but the key is it strengthens from the outside. As someone else stated Protein strengthens from the inside.

Next experiment will be to see if Henna is more of a substitute for protein treatments..

Oh, sorry to hear about your breakage problem:(
are you adding anything to your mix and doing a DC after rinsing the cassia out?

Yes JLOVE, as a matter of fact. I this is what I did

Preepoo (Parachute coconut oil)
Shampoo (Garlic poo)
Cassia(EVOO&water)
Shampoo(Nexuss Moisture therapy)
Condition(SKALA)

I rarely have breakage. Only I wanted to attempt to substitute the cassia for a protein treatment. My hair is strong from the cassia but its breaking.

Not to mention my weekly routine

Wash 2xwk
Scurl on roots and ends-Every day
MTG-5Xwk
Baggy 2xs a week
Frech braid down the back

I have a no stress regimine in my life and hair (my job is too easy)..so I KNOW it has to be I need to incorporate my protein again..

Do you think it would be too soon to try a protein treatment next week or do you think I need to wait 2wks?

slender1 said:
Ladies,

I noticed a few members who use Henna/Cassia also being fans of protein treatments. My question is since usint Henna/Cassia are you still using protein treatments or are you now substituting the Henna/Cassia?

TIA

When using henna, it is always a good idea to stop using protein products. Henna is enough protein for the hair and it is mild. The hair can end up very dry if other protein products are used.

Based on the experiences of other members..

I believe Henna is enough by itself but the Cassia is not..AM I WRONG

Im starting to think that Henna is better than Cassia.

slender1 said:
Based on the experiences of other members..

I believe Henna is enough by itself but the Cassia is not..AM I WRONG

Im starting to think that Henna is better than Cassia.

I'd like to know this too. I just ordered some Cassia two days ago. I'm thinking I should order some henna and wait for it to arrive and mix them.

I did something reaaaaaalllllll stupid to my hair a couple of months ago, and my hair is very angry with me for it....

Back