Helping a friend

nnbolden

My best friend asked me to help her care for her and her two daughters hair. I know that my routine may not necessarily work for her because I'm extremely hair obsessed. Lol.

What are some great starting points I can give her so that she doesn't feel overwhelmed? I'm willing to care for their hair once a week but I'm not the best at styling. She relies heavily on braids for the girls and weave for herself. She has absolutely no knowledge on hair care or styling and all three of them have issues with their edges and nape.

Baby Steps Like:
Keeping the Hair & Scalp Clean
Making sure hair is Moisturized (not overly dry)
Making sure Braids are pulled too tight on Edges or Nape* same for Weaves*
Properly/Gently handling Hair in Braids & Weaves
Recommend a few good products that are Multi-purposed

And once she sees small improvements (combined with your once a week help) She may want to know more.

What is the condition of their hair?

Like if it is breaking or think you may want to start with how she can prevent that. Or if it is dry focus on moisture.

And everything IDareT'sHair said.

Not good at all. I was actually contemplating how I could ask her if she needed help but she asked first.

Last edited:
Not good at all. I was actually contemplating how I could ask her if she needed up but she asked first.

Well that worked out :grin:

I think you are right about not being over whelming so maybe start with what she can notice first. I imagine a good wash and DC will make her hair feel good so maybe keep it simple with things she can do to keep it up during the week.

For example if you set her hair and it is curly - typically I would pin curl my hair at night and put a little butter on my ends to keep them smooth. But that is a simple thing right and ideally it will give her enough confidence to believe her hair is beautiful. Then like maybe next week you can add on good products vs bad products. At the same time you can start to see what her hair likes and does not like.

By the way I did not say this before but good for you. Once a week is a commitment and you know it can really make all the difference.

HTH

Back