HELP?!?!!

virgo_chinwe

I just got my natural hair braided about 10 days ago underneath a quick weave (my first time doing one). I got the typical itchies aka weave patting syndrome. I had never gone to this salon before (Express Weave in Houston). I couldn't stand the itching anymore and my edges were aching and starting to form a few small bumps so ...I have about four or five them (they kinda look like small zits). They are not on a particular cornrow just around my edges. I am worried I am going to lose my hair. Right now, I literally soaking my hair still cornrowed in conditioner and olive oil. Do I need to take down the cornrows as well...? I would hate for this entire hair do to be a complete waste of money. The pain has subsided significantly...and is virtually gone now...

I kinda already know what you guys are going to say tho... :(

Yeah, you do know we're going to tell you to take them out. Bumps mean your hair was braided too tightly. Y'all must have really tough heads coz I cannot bear pain and would not have let the stylist finish. The itching and pain is a precursor to traction alopecia especially if white bumps follow. But you can stop it from coming to fruition if you take those tight cornrows out.

I don't know how to tell you to avoid this happening coz obviously your nerves didn't serve you well there. Maybe just don't let anyone else do your hair. I dunno, but yes, you need to take your hair down and you need to baby your hair and massage those areas well.

I'm sorry you had to go through that.

Sorry OP! You will not necesarrily develop permanent traction alopecia after one experience (I used to wear tight hairstyles before I knew better for years! Smh, but thankfully stopped before any alopecia occurred.) But temporary hair loss in this area is very likely (and no fun).

It was good for you to soak the braids. That will give a little slip and perhaps you can gently tug sme hair out of the braids. If you continue to have tenderness, it is NOT a good sign. I wouldn't want to risk any damage if I were you.

if the tenderness doesnt subside...what should i do?

@virgo_chinwe, you mean AFTER you take the cornrows out? Or are you planning to keep them on? :look:

If you take them out, the tenderness will subside. You can take a painkiller (but I'm no doc so hopefully med students will come to verify this). You're in pain cause the style is causing trauma to your follicles. You remove the trauma, you open the door to healing.

Indeed you may not get traction alopecia from one experience but who's to say you can't. It's the same gamble as flat ironing hair. You could damage your hair from one flat-iron experience or from many. Better safe than sorry, I say. Take the darn do down.

OP, there are only two choices available to you: (1) Take the braids out, pop some Motrin for the pain and try to mitigate any damage that may have occurred; or (2) Leave the braids in, preserve style, pop a few Motrin and own any consequences that may result.

Think of it another way – do you want the next thread you make to be titled “Help Me with My Bald Spots, Breakage and Hair Loss”? As Nonie said, it’s better to be safe than sorry.

take it out asap.....you could end up with bald spots, scabs, rashes, scalp damage etc. its not worth it to save a few dollars.

next time save for a better quality salon experience and more expensive extension hair that can be reused for a year.

take your weave/cornrows down gently and treat your hair and scalp with nourishing oils, dc's, and mositurizers

OP, I thought the pain subsided. If you continue to have pain, it's not a good sign and you should take them down. By no means was I implying that even temporary hair loss was " ok" just that you won't get permanent (traction) alopecia from one time.........just correcting misinformation.

I'm a "doc" and yes Nonie pain meds will reduce inflammation, thus reducing pain, but that's managing symptoms only. The root of the prob is tight braids.

OP, I thought the pain subsided. If you continue to have pain, it's not a good sign and you should take them down. By no means was I implying that even temporary hair loss was " ok" just that you won't get permanent (traction) alopecia from one time.........just correcting misinformation.

I'm a "doc" and yes @Nonie pain meds will reduce inflammation, thus reducing pain, but that's managing symptoms only. The root of the prob is tight braids.

@4bslbound gotcha (re: the bold). I too didn't mean permanent, because I've seen traction alopecia get treated, but I meant that one "cute" do can lead to hair loss. Granted traction alopecia is caused by repeated pulling, but we're talking about people doing the same do day in, day out. In her case she's doing it continuously every hour, every day...which IMO is the same thing or even worse than always wearing a tight ponytail. If she keeps that style for a month or 3 weeks she may take out the do and have bald spots along where she had the pimples.

Last edited:
Thanks ladies! I started taking them down as soon as I read Nonies post...The pimples on my edges dont look like pimples anymore....its flattening. I feel like they are going to scab. I am worried. My hair is still drenched in olive oil and conditioner under a shower cap. I put neosporin on my edges as well. Any other suggestions?

Last edited:
Girl, I was going to say take them out immediately! I'm glad that you decided to go ahead and do that. When your hair is braided you shouldn't feel any pain or tenderness. It's okay to feel VERY LIGHT tension but anything that is bothering you take it out immediately.

I got a sew-in years ago (before I learned about proper hair care) that took out some of my hair follicles and I didn't even leave it in for the whole day. To this day I have a 1/2 dime size bald spot in the middle of my head that will never grow hair again. I had scabbing and unfortunately for me that was followed by my follicles coming out. :( You'll be fine. I re-read your update and it is a good sign that that inflammation went down. I don't think you will get any scabbing.

Last edited:
I'm glad you took them out. I was unconsciously holding my breath until I read that you had taken them out!

Sent from my SGH-T959 using LHCF

Back