HELP!!!!

permfreesince08

I'm new to this and not even sure if I'm posting correctly :perplexed... But help help help.... I have been perm free since 2008 and I have had some growth - but not as I have hoped. I also have several issues/concerns that may threaten the overall 'health' of my hair - this is were I really need assistance!!

First, I'm not sure what my hair type is - it seems thin and frail. I have read some of the blogs and first thing I will try is to keep heat out more often. Also, I made my transition without cutting the perm out and my hair tangles somewhat awful after washing. And when it's dry, easy to tangle. I have about less than 2 inches of processed hair on my ends (could this be the problem?). And my edges (around my hairline) is thin and rough.

I have issues but I have hope and would love help on management, thickening, and just overall healthy hair!!

Thanks

I think you need to give more information. Products you use and your maintenance routine. Shampoo, deep condition, clarify etc. How often. Do you blow dry, use heat protectant, information like that.

I use Pantene shampoo/conditioner (brown container) - weekly, DC with jojoba/almond oil (recently started doing that weekly), yes blowdry low heat (seldomly have time to air dry - but I will if time permits), use aveda hair care Brilliant Emollient for shine or Biosilk. That's pretty much it. I do flatiron it afer shampooing, sometimes i may put it into a ponytail after washing.

It sounds like a lack of the basics. Deep Conditioning, keeping hair stretched with braids or twists, and moisturizing & sealing. BeautyGoesDutch will break it all down to a science. Wish you luck!

I agree with curlsbazillion i have been natural since 2004, and i JUST learned what works for my har...It truely is trial and error...but what DOES work for me is Deep Conditioning, Water/Vitamin Intake, and Gentle Care :yep:....I wish you the best in your hair journey.

One of the biggest things I learned about my hair after going natural is that it's always better to work in sections. Shampooing, deep conditioning, moisturizing, all of these things are done in 12 sections. It took me some time to figure out optimal number of sections (I went from 4 to 6 to 10 to finally 12 in the course of 18 months), but once I did, everything became so much easier to deal with it and my hair only tangles if there's an excess of shed hair from not detangling in more than a week.

I hope this helps! :)

Back