HELP!!

shortee

Hi ladies for the past couple of months I have been feeling discouraged about my hair and the lack of progress that it has made. I am currently am looking to change my regime, currently the products I have include: aphogee shampoo, balancing moisture conditioner, 2 min protein treatment, ORS hair mayo, nexus conditioner and motions conditioner. Ever time I wash my hair it feels kind of hard after shampooing, after I condition and roller set my hair, the only way I can get my hair to be manageable is to do a saran wrap treatment after. I am considering switching to all Dominican hair products. So if any one has any that they can recommend please do. Also recently I have noticed that my temples are balding and I’m only 23 so I’m a little freaked out :perplexed. All I want is for my hair to be strong, healthy, shiny and all the same length (APL currently SL).

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Are you doing braids, weaves or putting any other kind of stress on your temples? If so, stop that immediately! Youre temples are going to require some TLC to fill in again, but it can be done. Peeps on the site use different things, but I like Nioxin Follicle Booster. I've been using it for a couple of months now on my thin hairline, and this vitamin & oxygen-enriched liquid has been filling it in slowly, but surely!

Are you relaxed or natural? Do you use any oils in your regimen and do you deep condition frequently? I've learned in the few months I've been on this board that it's not so much about which products you use (provided they are quality products that work for your hair type) but moreso about how you use them. Maybe you could describe a typical wash day, and I'm sure some of the experts can help to give a more adequate diagnosis. :yep:

hi,
what i will suggest is have a look at your products-
it does look like you have to much protein.

look for a moisturising shampoo that has no protein in it all- keracare hydrating shampoo is good, others may have more recommendation.
also a pure moisturising conditioner- my favourite is Aubrey organics honeysuckle rose conditioner, i think people also like keracare humecto in tub.

I wash biweekly and alternate- the pure moisturising conditioner with light protein (ORS replenishing pak/conditoner), if you like aphogee 2min reconstuctor its also a light protein so you can stick with that.

my leave in and oil moisturiser has no protein.

Using moisturising product means you dont usually overuse protein, also anytime am experiencing slight breakage its easier to know that all i need is protein as i know my moisture is balanced.
when i experience slight breakage using ORS mayo (medium protein) once or twice is all that is needed.

also will suggest cutting down on heat styling-
why no heat styling does not work for me, bi weekly rollersetting with dryer actually works. if i use direct heat (blow dryer, flat iron) i usually experience breakage.

Also if you hair is not full shoulder length i will suggest you use low maintainance styling- like roller setting, braidsout, twist out. dont do buns as you are more likely to pull hair tightly hence may lead to thining at edges.

also make sure during relaxer process that the edges is relaxed last, also make sure temples is well rinsed after relaxer process.
In the main time you can use BT (boundless tresses) to grow the edges.

hope have been able to help

Last edited:
I am relaxed and I don't do braids or weaves i. Iwash my hair every week, either i do it or i go to the salon to get it done. When ever i wash my hair i put ORS on my dry hair and let it sit either over night or of 30 min, after i wash it out with Aphogee shampoo, followed by balancing moisture conditioner and motions. After i comb through my wet hair with a detangeling come and use wrap/setting lotion and water to roller set my hair. The only oil I use is Betty Hutton Hair Pouss plus which is from france. I have recently started to use this temple balm by organic root stimulator on my temples but i'm not seeing much of a change.

I am relaxed and I don't do braids or weaves i. Iwash my hair every week, either i do it or i go to the salon to get it done. When ever i wash my hair i put ORS on my dry hair and let it sit either over night or of 30 min, after i wash it out with Aphogee shampoo, followed by balancing moisture conditioner and motions. After i comb through my wet hair with a detangeling come and use wrap/setting lotion and water to roller set my hair. The only oil I use is Betty Hutton Hair Pouss plus which is from france. I have recently started to use this temple balm by organic root stimulator on my temples but i'm not seeing much of a change.

IMHO, I think this could be the root of your unmanageable post-rollerset hair. Setting lotion has never done anything for me but make my rollersets hard, crunchy and dry. Instead, I like to use a creamy leave-in (NTM silk touch is my fav) and plain water to rollerset my hair. It comes out unbelievably soft and bouncy. If I want to wear a straight style, I comb the curls into a wrap and do a saran wrap treatment. If I want to wear a curly rollerset, I use the same products, but set with smaller rollers and use pincurls at night to maintain the style throughout the week....setting lotion no longer welcome or needed in my house :nono:

IMHO, I think this could be the root of your unmanageable post-rollerset hair. Setting lotion has never done anything for me but make my rollersets hard, crunchy and dry. Instead, I like to use a creamy leave-in (NTM silk touch is my fav) and plain water to rollerset my hair. It comes out unbelievably soft and bouncy. If I want to wear a straight style, I comb the curls into a wrap and do a saran wrap treatment. If I want to wear a curly rollerset, I use the same products, but set with smaller rollers and use pincurls at night to maintain the style throughout the week....setting lotion no longer welcome or needed in my house :nono:

I only use the wrap/setting lotion because it is what my hair dresser uses in my hair when she does it. I don't know if that is a good of bad thing :perplexed. What is NTM Silt touch and where can i get it?

I only use the wrap/setting lotion because it is what my hair dresser uses in my hair when she does it. I don't know if that is a good of bad thing :perplexed. What is NTM Silt touch and where can i get it?

Try a rollerset without setting lotion the next time, that's the best way to find out what your hair likes. My stylist also used to use setting lotion in my hair... and I say used to because I'm not letting her come near me with that stuff next time! :lachen:Anyway, NTM (= Neutrogena Triple Moisture) silk touch is an awesome water-based leave in conditioner/moisturizer. I use it almost every day to moisturize my hair without weighing it down. I buy mine at walgreens but I know it can be found at most drug stores and probably at walmart, too.

I am glad you are getting good advice.

One other thing to consider is not to sleep in ORS. I am natural, but one of the things I am getting back to is following the manufacturers instructions on time lengths for using products. A lof of us are sleeping in products and leaving them on much longer than instructed to do so and this is not always good. Those times limits are put there because the company has tested it and found the highest level of time we need for it to work.

IF you are going to sleep in a conditioner, use one of the cheaper moisturizing ones that don't say rinse out within a specific amount of time - V05 line might not be bad.

Also, if you are washing your hair more than one time during your wash cycle, that might be too much shampoo. Back in the day, we used to wash 3x's and then condition (if that) as a rule, when in most cases, one wash is ok espccially if you are using good products and haven't loaded your hair down during the week. I would cut back on the number of washes to no more than 2. Shampoo is very drying - that is why a lot of ladies do co-washes instead.

I hope everything gets under control for you:yep:.

Thanks ladies for the help, I'm going to buy boundless tresses and try NTM this weekend. I think i'm a pj in the making :grin:.

Back