HELP with SSKs

GeorginaSparks

So i wear my hair in a curly ponytail most of the time now. I wash, throw in ponytail and go. Lately, Ive noticed that my ends and tangling causing SSKs(single strand knots) and its tangles galore. Mostly on the ends only.

My routine after washing is leave in conditioner then castor oil on the ends. Things are fine the 1st day or so and the next few days are a nightmare.
I thought maybe i had some buildup and clarified(and DCed afterwards) but its not helping. The ends arent dry per se but just tangly!!!

I need suggestions on what to do to prevent this!!! First i will need to trim those ridiculous ends and then what else....?!! Im also wondering what some good hair trimming scissors are and where to buy.

I got my scissors at Sally's , but now that i keep my hair strecthed 100% of the time I hardly need them.

My SSKs are a thing of the past for me and when I see them now I keep it moving because in a small number it us just apart of them game

I purchase scissor's from Sally's as well however I haven't had a "real" trim in almost 3 years as I really don't need it. As Blair said, keeping my hair in stretched styles by roller setting eliminates the need. If I'm being lazy and don't have the time or energy to roller set, I'll throw my hair in a curly ponytail or bun after washing but I ALWAYS regret it later. My hair will be thirsty, tangly and I'll have to redo it every 2 days to make it look decent which is too much manipulation leading to SSK's, knots and a need for a trim. I could never be one of those wonderful lazy naturals on wash day that can wash and go...I would be washing and going right into bald country!

Last edited:
I figured i would have to do a stretching style. I might just blow dry i seriously dont have the time for any time consuming styles :(

For years, my go-to style was a curly ponytail because it’s simple and can be dressed up or down. However, I grew tired of the constant tangles and SSKs, so I switched things up a bit – instead of allowing it to air dry in a curly state, I began to braid the end of the ponytail before drying. My results went from picture 1 (somewhat hazardous and mundane) to picture 2 (stretched and relatively tangle-free). Try braiding the ponytail and see what, if any, effect it has on the amount of tangles and SSKs you receive. HTH!

Attachments

• z.jpg
    z.jpg
    7.6 KB · Views: 66
  • AUG 2013 B.jpg
    AUG 2013 B.jpg
    116.6 KB · Views: 70
For years, my go-to style was a curly ponytail because it’s simple and can be dressed up or down. However, I grew tired of the constant tangles and SSKs, so I switched things up a bit – instead of allowing it to air dry in a curly state, I began to braid the end of the ponytail before drying. My results went from picture 1 (somewhat hazardous and mundane) to picture 2 (stretched and relatively tangle-free). Try braiding the ponytail and see what, if any, effect it has on the amount of tangles and SSKs you receive. HTH!

Thats a GREAT idea!!! That will also help stretch the ends awesome thanks!!!

Literally drooling at your hair!

Back