Help with rollersets!

syze6

What do you ladies use for a nice soft bouncy rollerset. What size rollers do you use? I tried a rollerset before and it was crispy and crunchy! If I knew what to use and a good moisturizer, I would set my hair between salon visits.

What did you use that made your hair so crunchy? If it was Infusium stay away from that stuff. The old formula was much better back in the day.

I wash my hair, apply a leave-in (right now I'm using DevaCurl One but Hairveda makes a good one too), then apply some Hairveda Whipped Cream, seal with an oil or sheabutter, and rollerset. I don't apply anything that will make my hair hard like setting lotion or Infusium. Then when I'm dry I apply a heat protectant and flatiron. Sheabutter on the ends again.

What did you use that made your hair so crunchy? If it was Infusium stay away from that stuff. The old formula was much better back in the day.

I wash my hair, apply a leave-in (right now I'm using DevaCurl One but Hairveda makes a good one too), then apply some Hairveda Whipped Cream, seal with an oil or sheabutter, and rollerset. I don't apply anything that will make my hair hard like setting lotion or Infusium. Then when I'm dry I apply a heat protectant and flatiron. Sheabutter on the ends again.

:yep: Yep, everything she said. No setting lotions etc., just nice leave-ins (lie giovanni direct) and oils.

Definitely use a creamy leave-in. I *heart* Lacio Lacio. I just used MOP leave-in for my last rollerset and it was also excellent.

I always use the largest size rollers; I use the gray and black ones.

I don't use oil, but I do use giovanni direct leave-in AND a wrapping lotion. For a wrapping lotion I have used Jane Carter's, Profectiv with Olive Oil and I think Keracare. I don't drench my hair in the stuff.

I think too much product leads to crunchy curls. Just recently I applied Sabino Moisture Block and I obtained the smoothest ends to date.

I think setting lotions are overrated IMO. I've mastered my rollersets by finally just using a good LEAVE-IN conditioner.

I thought that my curls wouldnt last if i didnt use setting lotion but they turned out better with out a "holding" product.

I even got the same setting foam from my stylist to use and it still came out to be a crunchy mess. I could never master her technique so leave-ins are my staple along with snap-on rollers.

Definitely use a creamy leave-in. I *heart* Lacio Lacio. I just used MOP leave-in for my last rollerset and it was also excellent.

I always use the largest size rollers; I use the gray and black ones.

What's MOP?

I think setting lotions are overrated IMO. I've mastered my rollersets by finally just using a good LEAVE-IN conditioner.

I thought that my curls wouldnt last if i didnt use setting lotion but they turned out better with out a "holding" product.

I even got the same setting foam from my stylist to use and it still came out to be a crunchy mess. I could never master her technique so leave-ins are my staple along with snap-on rollers.

Understand. When I use Giovanni-Direct my rollersets will not hold without a bit of setting lotion. I use a soft hold type. Whatever my hairdresser uses is bad stuff and I can barely comb my hair.

Understand. When I use Giovanni-Direct my rollersets will not hold without a bit of setting lotion. I use a soft hold type. Whatever my hairdresser uses is bad stuff and I can barely comb my hair.

Really? I've never needed to use setting lotion. If the set has fully dried, my hair holds that curl. I can bend my hair anyway and it will hold. :lachen:

I think it also depends on how small your rollers are too. But for shoulder length hair, I have used the red ones (quite small) and they lasted all day and evening without setting lotion. Yes they dropped a little, but the overall curl was still there - it actually looked sweet and natural.

I have to piggy-back on this question. What TYPE rollers are you using? I am currently using curling rods but my ng is not having it unless I use the smallest ones. Do I go back to the old school sponge rollers or the ones with the cage-like cover? :spinning: :nono::perplexed

I have to piggy-back on this question. What TYPE rollers are you using? I am currently using curling rods but my ng is not having it unless I use the smallest ones. Do I go back to the old school sponge rollers or the ones with the cage-like cover? :spinning: :nono::perplexed

You better throw those sponge rollers away if you know whats good for you! That's a LHCF nono!

Use what fits your needs. Snap-ons, magnetics, mesh, etc.

I use the magnetic rollers. They have smaller sizes than the red one that I use too.

I put leave in directly on my wet hair and I have a touch of setting lotion in a spray bottle full of water. That works everytime for me.

You better throw those sponge rollers away if you know whats good for you! That's a LHCF nono!

Use what fits your needs. Snap-ons, magnetics, mesh, etc.

Thanks. :grin:
I haven't had any in ages. I do have a crazy amount of others though. Some work, some don't. I'll keep looking.

Back