HELP WITH 2-STRAND TWISTS (PICS)

twatombl

I've been on a mission to find a styling pudding that defines and leaves my hair soft. I completed a twist out this Sunday with Komaza Care Califia Styling Pudding and Moroccan Oil and am not thrilled with the results. My hair is defined but has major frizz and is incredibly soft but my roots are pretty rough (not at all crunchy though). Last week I used Cantu Shea Butter with EVOO and was left with nice definition but my hair was a tad crunchy.

Are there any recommendations for a product I can possibly use underneath the Komaza pudding to prevent frizz, give stronger definition and smooth my roots? I'm loving how soft my hair is but with all this frizz I need help:ohwell:

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    123.1 KB · Views: 222
  • photo2.jpg
    photo2.jpg
    160.1 KB · Views: 202
What are you taking your twist out with? When I use an oil to take my twist out, I end up with super frizzy hair. :( If your roots are rough, you might need thoroughly detangle right before twisting.

I find that using a nice moisturizer, sealing with a butter mix, and then applying a soft hold gel gives me both definition and the softness that I am looking for.

What are you taking your twist out with? When I use an oil to take my twist out, I end up with super frizzy hair. :( If your roots are rough, you might need thoroughly detangle right before twisting.

I find that using a nice moisturizer, sealing with a butter mix, and then applying a soft hold gel gives me both definition and the softness that I am looking for.

I add the Moroccan Oil on my hands and smooth it onto the twists, I don't know if thats a reason for the frizz because I do that with any product I use and it helps add a nice shine. It doesn't do anything to help products that leave a crunchy feeling though. Thank you for mentioning not to remove twists with an oil to prevent the frizz.

What soft hold gel are you using? I've even tried Eco Styler after seeing so many Youtube videos and like it a lot but am still open to trying other recommendations.

I would try a leave in conditioner under the styler.

I also get the best results when I use my Denman to smooth the section out before I twist it.

I add the Moroccan Oil on my hands and smooth it onto the twists, I don't know if thats a reason for the frizz because I do that with any product I use and it helps add a nice shine. It doesn't do anything to help products that leave a crunchy feeling though. Thank you for mentioning not to remove twists with an oil to prevent the frizz.

What soft hold gel are you using? I've even tried Eco Styler after seeing so many Youtube videos and like it a lot but am still open to trying other recommendations.

If you like Eco Styler the pink and blue one's have a much softer hold than the rest. I have been using the Tea Soft Gel by Qhemet Biologics, but it's not the best for anything other than twist, :lol:. You should be able to use an oil but it needs to be only a tad bit.

no matter what product i'd use if i did my twist your size they wouldn't be well defined. for ladies with thick hair you need to do smaller twists. I would suggest you try doing a twist out, using twists about half the size. i guarantee that you will have more desirable result.

I would try a leave in conditioner under the styler.

I also get the best results when I use my Denman to smooth the section out before I twist it.

I finger styled this go round after detangling in the shower, I can't remember if when I use my Denman I notice my roots are smoother but that makes sense to use the Denman to fully tackle smoothing the section out.

The next time I style I will be sure to do a follow up using these suggestions!

If you like Eco Styler the pink and blue one's have a much softer hold than the rest. I have been using the Tea Soft Gel by Qhemet Biologics, but it's not the best for anything other than twist, :lol:. You should be able to use an oil but it needs to be only a tad bit.

I didn't even know there were pink or blue Eco Stylers, I just went with the green one everyone raved about (PJism caused me to run out and get exactly what was recommended:lol:).

no matter what product i'd use if i did my twist your size they wouldn't be well defined. for ladies with thick hair you need to do smaller twists. I would suggest you try doing a twist out, using twists about half the size. i guarantee that you will have more desirable result.

Now this helps a LOT, My twists are usually a tad smaller than this, the next time I twist I'll spend time making them smaller to see if that helps with the frizz as well.

i would agree with LovelyNaps26. looks like your hair is pretty think at the roots, smaller twists would probably help with that. have you tried wetting your hair with a water/oil mix before applying your curling butters? i find that when i twist on wet hair, that has been detangled (smooth a comb through each twising section before making the twist), the frizz is really decreased. also, try putting perm rods on the ends of the twists to prevent unraveling at night or during the time you're "setting" the twists. this will also help with frizz. hope this helps.

you probabaly need smaller twist so you dont have to do as much separating during the take down process and using an oil on your fingers when removing the twists will reduce frizz

I agree, your twist need to be a tad bit smaller for defined results. :afro:

Nix08 o lawd, you know I know nuffin about products.

OP, I usually twist w/o products I get the best definition when I don't use products. I also think it's easier to stretch the roots if you do smaller twists coz you can grab the base well and include most of it in the twist.

This is a twist out w/o any product. Twisted dry hair then CW to get the twists wet and neat (a step that always follows my twisting--if I don't just wash my hair) then I let my twists dry fully. Next day I had a beautiful defined twist-out:
FirstEverTwistOut-vi.jpg

A friend recommended some products and my twist-out then had no definition and looked more like a head that belonged to a crazy woman or one from a village that's never heard of combs:
coctioncocoabutterbeeswaxscurl-vi.jpg

So personally I preferred to start with well moisturized hair (from DCing) and then stretch it in braids to dry. Twist it dry, then CW and airdry to set. That gives me the best definition.

If you want directions on a good twist-out, I suggest you look to keepithealthy Check out her results: http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=538907

Smooth the roots and do TWO STRAND FLAT TWIST if you really wanna catch the roots, and have a more consistent pattern...

If you wanna stick with individiuals, then I agree with doing smaller twist and making sure the sections are even...you can even try braiding the roots atleast an inch before twisting...Or you can twist and bobby pin the roots down...

Now to unravel, instead of pulling the twist appart, oil your fingers and and finger twirl your hair the opposite way of how its twisted, going all the way down....

As for moisturizing under styling products,I always make sure that is done (giovanni direct leave in) right after washing my hair...I usually let my moisturized and sealed hair airdry in big twist or braids, then I unravel them, apply styling product and set them for a twist or braid out, by doing it that way I get more stretch, and that includes the roots too...

So funny you brought that up - I did 2 strand twist last night on dry hair. I have some MJ's curly pudding but decided not to use it for some reason...

Instead I sprayed some Giovani leave in (CVS), put some S-Curl on it, put on some ORS Olive Oil and Eco Styler (Aragan Oil) and slept on it.

Woke up this morning and was pleasantly surprised at the results. I had deffinition but no cruch.

However, hair does have a slight "residue" feeling to it but I actually don't mind it cause my hair will drink it all up by tomrrow anyway.

Nix08 o lawd, you know I know nuffin about products.

OP, I usually twist w/o products I get the best definition when I don't use products. I also think it's easier to stretch the roots if you do smaller twists coz you can grab the base well and include most of it in the twist.

This is a twist out w/o any product. Twisted dry hair then CW to get the twists wet and neat (a step that always follows my twisting--if I don't just wash my hair) then I let my twists dry fully. Next day I had a beautiful defined twist-out:
FirstEverTwistOut-vi.jpg

A friend recommended some products and my twist-out then had no definition and looked more like a head that belonged to a crazy woman or one from a village that's never heard of combs:
coctioncocoabutterbeeswaxscurl-vi.jpg

So personally I preferred to start with well moisturized hair (from DCing) and then stretch it in braids to dry. Twist it dry, then CW and airdry to set. That gives me the best definition.

If you want directions on a good twist-out, I suggest you look to keepithealthy Check out her results: http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=538907

That was with NO product! I feel like doing my twists again right now just to try that out!

I agree with everyone that my twists need to be smaller, I bet thats the root of my problem, in addition to needing to straighten the roots more.

The only thing that honestly overwhelms me is the product side! I have been stalking the board and hair blogs for about 2 years now and STILL feel overwhelmed with the basics! I'll admit I honestly just feel more comfortable with a few products that do everything because everything else overwhelms me.

ilah and NuBraveHeart I'm horrible with little things like water/oil mixes and spraying/using numerous products to get the right results. I always seem to have sticky/crunchy hair when I use too many products or never think to use water/oil before hand. I swear almost 3 years natural you would think this would come easier for me!

I'm going to try the no product method since I have yet to try that as well as smaller twists flat as Amoreofcurls suggested with Giovanni Leave In before twisting. Using 1-2 products is more my speed, anything more and I'm right back to creating a post for help lol!

Nonie thanks for mentioning me. :) I will add that when I twisted my mother's hair I did 1/2 with my products and 1/2 without to see what worked better. For her hair the the ones without product came out way better. The other ones with product were kinda fluffy. So it good to experiment and see what works best. HHG OP :)

twatombl - If you do get around to doing the no product method please let me know how it turns out. I'd love to see! :)

I know what you mean about products being everywhere but I've never tried not using anything. Unfortunatly my hair seems to get very angry without product lol.

I twist with Shea butter but they are always much smaller twists than you have. Your hair is really thick and pretty.

This thread was inspiring to me.Thanks for making it!

For me as well! A simple post made me realize I need to twist smaller! I'm still not sold on my Komazza pudding so next time I style I'm trying a different styler and much smaller twists, as well as spending more time stretching my roots!

Try Paul Mitchell's mousse (with red top). It feels great, has minimal hold and might work underneath your twists.

Mizani and Jane Carter mousse are great for hold and definition. Mizani's mousse feels a little more like silk than Jane Carter.

I've learned that for my hair, FULLY detangling and letting the twists completely dry before I take them down really makes a big difference. I was gonna ask, are u doing these twists on dry hair or wet hair?

I use Kinky Curly Knot Today as my leave-in under most stylers though and it works well for me, but it's a hit or miss for other naturals.

Back