Help!!!! Where do I start today

andrea

Hey Ladies,

I have been on this site for 2 days reading and reading... I am now on information overload.. I would like to do something today to my hair...

Its extremely Dry and Brittle.. It has color in it and it has serious breakage.. It is shoulder length now.

I am finally going to commit to a bun for tommorrow.. However where do I start today.. I havent washed it in about 4 days.. I usually use Nexxuus Therappe and then Cholestral Cond..

I have nexxuus therappe and humecctress as well as emergencee.

I want a fresh start tonight. Should I do the emergencee treatment and then a deep conditner.. Use the baggie method for my bun....

Please advise me of something I should do today... I am sure I need a good moistrizer... Looks like I will be going to the Beauty Supply store tonight...

Oh, I am also training for a marathon so wearing my hair down is really not much of an option now.. I think the bun will work good for me...

Please help

What is your hair type? Emergencee is good or you can try an Aphogee treatment. After you would need to deep conditioning. I see that you use Nexxus Humectress for your hair. Does this product really moisturize your hair? Some others you can try is Mizani Moisturefuse, Keracare Humecto ( I love both of these), and another board favorite is Kenra MC. When my hair is bry and brittle I use ORS Hair Mayonnaise. This is a great product that can be found at any drug store. I then followup with a moisturizing conditioner and sit under the dryer for about 30 minutes. Oh yeah, remember to shampoo again after you rinse the Emergencee out. I also see that you are training for a marathon so you may also want to try conditioner washes (CO). I do not do CO's but many women on the board swear by them. Hope this helps!

Last edited:
If you're going to start anew, treat your tresses to a pre-shampoo treatment today and a deep conditioning treatment next week. Or vice versa, if you like.

I don't think you have to do an Emergencee treatment and then a deep conditioner. You can do one or the other but it's best not to overload your hair. This may have the opposite effect than what you're going for even if you mean well. If you're using a baggie for the first time, try a cream moisturizer or conditioner until you get the hang of it.

There are many oils that you can use for a pre-shampoo treatment and you can even use conditioner. If you don't have a soft bonnet dryer, it's a very useful tool to invest in. A hot towel is also useful in place of a bonnet dryer.

As for moisturizer, what does your hair like? Light or heavy oil or cream? If you're not sure, or if you want to try something new, many beauty supply stores have small bottles of oils and creams for a few dollars and you can experiment until you find the right one for your hair.

Some favorites for oil are jojoba, extra virgin olive oil, sweet almond and coconut. There are also infused and synthetic oils that moisturize ver well. Herbal Vitamin E oil and Wild Growth oil are two examples.

For dry hair, go with the most moisturizing shampoo you can find. Kenra Moisturizing Shampoo, Creme of Nature, Infusium 23 and Dove, among others, have moisturizing shampoos that won't strip your hair.

As to conditioners, find one that not only moisturizes, but detangles. If you would prefer a rinse for detangling, try Miss Keys 10 en 1 Super Rinse. Some conditioners to try are Pantene Daily Moisture Renewal, Kenra Moisturizing conditioner, Suave and Herbal Essences conditioners.

For deep conditoners for dry/brittle hair, find something thick, rich, moisturizing and/or strengthening. I highly recommend Salerm 21 Mascarilla Capillar Wheat Germ Oil mask. LeKair Cholesterol Plus and Aubrey Organics GPB are also good choices. If you want to try more than one, you can find one-use packets by the register.

I agree with Cherokee. Since your hair is dry and brittle, it sounds like you need a top quality moisturizing conditioner. In addition to the ones that Cherokee mentioned, which are all excellent, other great options include Neutrogena Triple Moisture (also known as NTM), Motions Moisture Plus and Paul Mitchell Supercharged. You might also want to look for a good creamy leave in conditioner or moisturizing creme, especially for your ends. A lot of ladies swear by Elasta QP Mango Butter, Carol's Daughter Hair Milk, ORS Carrot Oil or ORS Olive Oil. Search the threads to see what works for different people, though you'll have to see what works best for your hair. Good luck.

Back